RIP Sean Lock - comedian dies of cancer aged 58

Fluke

For me, I liked his style of humour, as he was often irreverant, and just said things as they came to him, but in a very 'matter of fact' way.

The 'millenial' generation would probably use the term 'random', which is a phrase I really don't like as a description.

He also reminded me of older comedians who you'd often just find funny because of their expressions. Sometimes, he would smile before saying something, and you just knew it would be funny.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BossCrow said:

Agreed. Sean was great on any panel show. His stand up was good too but his off the cuff humour was brilliant. One of my favourite comedians

Reading that back again I think it was quite badly worded - Sean's stand up was also excellent. Have them all on DVD but not watched for a few years.

Haven't owned a tv for 15 years or more and didn't even realise Sean hadn't been appearing recently. Cats DoesCountdown with Sean Lock was just about the only good comedy left on TV.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Owl said:

For me, I liked his style of humour, as he was often irreverant, and just said things as they came to him, but in a very 'matter of fact' way.

The 'millenial' generation would probably use the term 'random', which is a phrase I really don't like as a description.

Well word suggestions from you older folks are always appreciated. You have to remember that us younger folks have been dumbed down linguistically. I don't hide the fact the fact that I'm not great at articulating myself, but I'm trying to pick up new lexicon each day, it's just breaking old habits that is the hard part.

2 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Well word suggestions from you older folks are always appreciated. You have to remember that us younger folks have been dumbed down linguistically. I don't hide the fact that I'm not great at articulating myself, but I'm trying to pick up new lexicon each day, it's just breaking old habits that is the hard part.

Edited by EnigmaticWorld
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 3:35 PM, Fluke said:

Sean lock dead 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58254859?at_custom3=BBC+News&at_custom2=facebook_page&at_campaign=64&at_custom1=[post+type]&at_custom4=5CC4EB1C-000C-11EC-8E2B-BA023A982C1E&at_medium=custom7&fbclid=IwAR0A0bei-b3Rf6ar7aC7de7z8ESa3lYW1Z_Whh29gwfOgvbG_HI3gaG8iZ0

Comedian Sean Lock has died from cancer at the age of 58, his agent has confirmed.

A comedy panel show favourite, Lock was a team captain on the series 8 Out of 10 Cats, hosted by Jimmy Carr.

He also appeared on QI, The Last Leg, Have I Got News for You, and The Big Fat Quiz of the Year.

Paying tribute, comedian Bill Bailey said: "It's heartbreaking to lose my dearest friend Sean Lock, he was a true original, a wonderful comic."

I wonder if he had the jabs and if they had hastened his condition?

8 minutes ago, Orange Alert said:

I thought the same when I first heard. I know someone through a friend who had a heart attack last year, his GP said he was vulnerable and talked him into getting the 'vaccine'. Since then he has been suffering seizures regularly. A cocktail as well - AZ and moderna I think. 😡 🤬

Bloody hell this is the second RIP thread of mine now. I'm like the angel of death on this website 😂

49 minutes ago, Orange Alert said:

I didn't mention it my friend but that's exactly what I thought as well. As someone said everytime someone in the public eye, or not dies it seems to be the first question that comes to my mind. 

Don't know when the last time he appeared was but he didn't look ill.

2 hours ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

Well word suggestions from you older folks are always appreciated. You have to remember that us younger folks have been dumbed down linguistically. I don't hide the fact that I'm not great at articulating myself, but I'm trying to pick up new lexicon each day, it's just breaking old habits that is the hard part.

Ignore my double posts, I was trying to correct a typo as the forum was playing up or being attacked. lol

I really liked him and he made me laugh so much, which is so important at the present. I noticed in some episodes of countdown that he was thin and had a hoarse voice and I did think of cancer but then thought I was wrong after seeing him ok looking. He could just come out with anything and make it funny and he didn't appear to bow to the offended culture. I like Henning Wehn for the same reasons. They just start of with "well..............." and you know you are in for a good tale. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fluke said:

Bloody hell this is the second RIP thread of mine now. I'm like the angel of death on this website 😂

I didn't mention it my friend but that's exactly what I thought as well. As someone said everytime someone in the public eye, or not dies it seems to be the first question that comes to my mind. 

Don't know when the last time he appeared was but he didn't look ill.

Thanks for setting up a dedicated thread. Reading the (mostly negative) reviews of the Keep It Light DVD, many make the observation that they were surprised by his appearance and demeanour - these were written in 2017/18 so aren't with the benefit of hindsight. He did start to look different towards the end of his Cats does Countdown appearances (shaved head, facial hair) and hadn't been a regular captain for some time. My initial thought was C4 bosses found his humour too edgy for the woke generation, but it was more likely his ill health. I had to stop watching the show because of Rachel Riley's revolting attacks on free speech and David Icke in particular.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

Thanks for setting up a dedicated thread. Reading the (mostly negative) reviews of the Keep It Light DVD, many make the observation that they were surprised by his appearance and demeanour - these were written in 2017/18 so aren't with the benefit of hindsight. He did start to look different towards the end of his Cats does Countdown appearances (shaved head, facial hair) and hadn't been a regular captain for some time. My initial thought was C4 bosses found his humour too edgy for the woke generation, but it was more likely his ill health. I had to stop watching the show because of Rachel Riley's revolting attacks on free speech and David Icke in particular.

Credit goes to the admins I think grumpy owl for merging it. I agree I think he was probably sick for a long time I'll have to go through the reports. 

I used to watch c4 in its early days but I stopped watching it mainly because  that silly cow Rachel Riley (who seems to have put on an awful lot of weight lately) voicing her cringey thoughts and opinions. The irony of trying to say she is part of a group that is oppressed lol. 

I quite liked Jimmy Carr back in the day. He isn't your typical working class comedian but somewhat old fashioned in his delivery. 

Everything is mediocre these days. The 2000s was actually an underated era for television. Little Britain, Harry Enfield was he 2000s? Even things like phonejacker and the nokia guy who used to answer his phone loudly in a library. Seems he is part of the woke crowd now. Top gear was good back then as well. 

I know it's not related to comedy but they would make good paranormal documentaries and air them regularly now (not nessesarily terrestrial television) that sort of genre is filled with American ghost hunting types or most haunted. There was a drama called afterlife featuring Lesley sharp as a medium and Andrew Lincoln it was fantastic and a bit of light entertainment that came out in 2005. There's nothing like this anymore. 

Other than that I honestly can say I don't watch anything on television apart from endeavour which I watch when I am around my grandparents 😂 and university challenge. And sometimes they'll tape the odd documentary for me. 

If you've got Gold you might find only fools and horses, a re run of porridge or dad's army. Other than that mate I've got no time for it. I just buy all the stuff I like on dvd now. I sound like a boomer but I've got no time for Netflix or none of these streaming services because they could easily ban anything I'd like to watch. 

Sky arts has gone downhill since the lockdown but there's still some good stuff on there. Can't beat a bit of Andre rieu.

@EnigmaticWorld you might appreciate this mate if you haven't watched / listened. It's a bit of an acquired taste but if you are in to old British comedy it's worth checking out. I only discovered him a couple of years ago when my uncle mentioned it. 

The radio shows are better IMO. 

Archive here. My favourites radio ham, poetry society, blood donor. Genius.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fluke said:

Credit goes to the admins I think grumpy owl for merging it. I agree I think he was probably sick for a long time I'll have to go through the reports. 

I used to watch c4 in its early days but I stopped watching it mainly because  that silly cow Rachel Riley (who seems to have put on an awful lot of weight lately) voicing her cringey thoughts and opinions. The irony of trying to say she is part of a group that is oppressed lol. 

I quite liked Jimmy Carr back in the day. He isn't your typical working class comedian but somewhat old fashioned in his delivery. 

I just buy all the stuff I like on dvd now. I sound like a boomer but I've got no time for Netflix or none of these streaming services because they could easily ban anything I'd like to watch. 

Same for me...I find it easier to buy the big DVD sets cheap online (or CEX, pre-CV19) and watch at my leisure. All the comedy classics and retro TV from the 60s and 70s (Blu-Ray too, if it exists). No time for skipping ads and putting up with censored footage. 

Jimmy Carr is pretty funny, and near the knuckle (I probably should take him to task and be all offended over the disabled stuff, but it's his style). Riley's been preggers for a while (maybe twice now) so that perhaps explains the weight changes. 

2 hours ago, Fluke said:

@Anti Facts Sir talking about old comedy have you listened to Hancock's half hour? Pretty sure they used to be on the TV back in the 50s and 60s. Sid James was good in that. 

Hancock was a genius.

Yeah, my old man had all the Hancock shows on cassette, and there were some reruns back in the 80s which I watched. Grew up with all that, plus the Carry Ons. Great, great comedy gold. Now have the Hancock series on DVD, though the picture quality is of course a bit crap.

14 minutes ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

Same for me...I find it easier to buy the big DVD sets cheap online (or CEX, pre-CV19) and watch at my leisure.

Agreed, but there are some exceptions. Some of my favourite old shows are stuff like the Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Tales from the Crypt, Tales from the Darkside, Hammer House of Horror etc, and they're sometimes a bit rarer or more expensive, but I still find them to be worth the money.

Edited by EnigmaticWorld
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 2:45 PM, Nobby Noboddy said:

It's sad really.

I liked him a lot, but knowing what I know now it's disturbing.

No-one gets to be a celebrity or famous without the nod.

Breaks my heart Sean, but what what did you get for your soul?

Don't hate me for saying this, it's f*cking true.

You are correct Nobby !!

edit: not sure on this guy as his net worth wasn't even over 5 million, I've heard anyone in double digits is usually corrupt though.

Edited by bradlaw

Loved the "tax evasion" crack in Keep It Light....imagine sitting in Starbucks, on your Apple Mac, searching google for Jimmy Carr videos.....boom...it's like the ultimate a tax loophole....you end up in Monaco getting bored shitless by Lewis Hamilton.

Classic Sean. Only thing missing was Jimmy's glance to camera if it had been on NOOTCDC.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 8:45 PM, Nobby Noboddy said:

It's sad really.

I liked him a lot, but knowing what I know now it's disturbing.

No-one gets to be a celebrity or famous without the nod.

Breaks my heart Sean, but what what did you get for your soul?

Don't hate me for saying this, it's f*cking true.

So true where did the real geniouses go like Rory Bremner for being so good at taking the piss out of the cult leaders like blair and co. Says it all. Wake up world.