Effective Self Defence

Shining-one

The fence many years ago is something alot of us used as Doormen not to sure if any of it is used now but back in the 90s it was common in some parts of the UK. 

Still has lots of merit. 

On 7/31/2021 at 9:49 PM, Shining-one said:

So far I kept this quiet but have been training for some time since the lockdowns started. The idea is simple and basic: Things could escalate in a number of ways, from crime waves to attempts at forced isolation.
Part of the reason this mess started is we have an apathetic and often physically under par population. A submissive, subdued population is a sure invitation to the wolves.
There are many non lethal ways to defend your life and person. It's also an obligation.
I always figured the shrewdest self defence is to run faster and harder than your attacker (or attackers). It simply puts a distance between yourself and any threat. First step then is physical fitness and mobility.
Martial arts teaches strong- mindedness which is even more important. Not to be afraid or negative.
So, take your pic.
Karate
Boxing
Kung Fu
Judo - Ju Jitsu
Thai Boxing
Jeet Kune Do
The Shaolin monks lived under various threats but trained in effective defence. They were very peaceful but very well trained.

I like Nick Drossos channel, whatever u do don't ever punch, he teaches hammer fists and palm strikes. He doesnt look sccary at all but id never mess with him after what ive seen.

A bit provocative perhaps but, even though I admire traditional martial arts, I think a 21 year old Mike Tyson would demolish "most" karate or kung fu black belts. Same applies to George Foreman who used to leave dents in the heavy bag.
The way I see it is Tyson trained very close in and was used to getting hit. Ali, in fact, allowed sparring partners to pummel him on the ropes. Conditioning in boxing also was designed to sustain real impact.
Very often in Karate and Kung Fu the sensei is very mobile, skilled and fast but there seems to be a lack of real-time impact. Worse still is the rigid, systematic sequences of strike and block. Works against an average puncher but Tyson threw deadly, lightning combination. What I say probably doesn't relate to all martial arts but I often pick up on the notion Karate was a kind of Japanese unarmed combat regime. A bit like marines training with drills and so forth.
It seems Bruce Lee picked up on this issue and became inspired by Muhammad Ali's footwork and adaptability. Lee ditched fixed stances and started to bounce on his feet as he kicked a heavy bag. Last week I rewatched Ali vs Liston and Ali back then was impossible to hit. Reactions were so fast he could move around punches. In Karate you block but maybe not so effective against a Tyson hook as it was too fast to see coming.
  • Like 1

Effective self-defence? Join an MMA gym that hasn't been gentrified and supplement it with combatives classes that do self-protection theory, stress innoculation, weapon defense, dirty fighting and scenario training, like Lee Morrison's Urban Combatives. If you live somewhere where it's legal, obviously do tactical training and purchase a firearm.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is an oldish video no longer on Google but I found it on yandex search engine. Koden Kan roundhouse kick.This link should load after a few seconds. This girl is in pretty good shape.

https://yandex.ru/video/pad/search?filmId=15832267270971330404&path=wizard&text=koden kan roundhouse kick video&wiz_type=v4thumbs

Edited by Shining-one

On 8/8/2021 at 10:56 PM, Shining-one said:

A bit provocative perhaps but, even though I admire traditional martial arts, I think a 21 year old Mike Tyson would demolish "most" karate or kung fu black belts. Same applies to George Foreman who used to leave dents in the heavy bag.
The way I see it is Tyson trained very close in and was used to getting hit. Ali, in fact, allowed sparring partners to pummel him on the ropes. Conditioning in boxing also was designed to sustain real impact.
Very often in Karate and Kung Fu the sensei is very mobile, skilled and fast but there seems to be a lack of real-time impact. Worse still is the rigid, systematic sequences of strike and block. Works against an average puncher but Tyson threw deadly, lightning combination. What I say probably doesn't relate to all martial arts but I often pick up on the notion Karate was a kind of Japanese unarmed combat regime. A bit like marines training with drills and so forth.
It seems Bruce Lee picked up on this issue and became inspired by Muhammad Ali's footwork and adaptability. Lee ditched fixed stances and started to bounce on his feet as he kicked a heavy bag. Last week I rewatched Ali vs Liston and Ali back then was impossible to hit. Reactions were so fast he could move around punches. In Karate you block but maybe not so effective against a Tyson hook as it was too fast to see coming.

You make some good points, but karate isn't always about blocking and punching.

Take the Wado Ryu 'deflection punch' for instance, where the outgoing punch itself deflects the incoming punch before landing in the opponent's face. Extremely fast and efficient as no time is wasted on the block.

However, I believe in studying all forms of defence. I know acupuncture points that can be used very effectively to cause severe pain. Also, at a young age (16), I was on our local Air Cadets Unarmed Combat Display Team which taught me some very different techniques to those I later learned from karate.

On 8/10/2021 at 5:30 AM, Humanexperiment said:

I'm a blue belt in jiu jitsu and I can tell you that learning how to take someone down and choke a dude is truly invaluable and affective against most people 

Shark tanks in bjj can also be great for mental and physical stamina. 

Most attackers are not trained fighters or even good fighters, many prefer to attack the weak and defenceless and thus I've found a strong confident attitude, when dealing with potentially violent people, can be your best initial defence against a situation becoming violent.

As for other situations, weapons are of course extremely useful. In the UK it is illegal to carry any weapon for self-defence which leaves illegal weapons in the hands of criminals, however with the humble Cane (walking stick) and a little training one is quite able to defend oneself and without close contact.

Tallyrand-Canes.jpg.1b8ce20e170c22333d81a08d058715f4.jpg

A few older members may recall the 1970s saw a wave of Kung Fu popularity. The TV series Kung Fu had a big impact and, in fact, I have the dvd boxsets. This used slow motion for the fight sequences, with David Carradine in the main role. Kung Fu and Karate then got very big. Enter The Dragon was a hit and then Chuck Norris started as an action hero, doing martial arts movies. I think it got exaggerated though and so martial arts were assumed to make you unbeatable.

Still loads of jokes out there about Chuck Norris. I always thought he had a really superb roundhouse kick. He used it in his early movies. Some of those are now forgotten but check out Silent Rage or The Octagon.
Karate Kid was "the film" of the 1980s, I thought. Where the kid is bullied after moving to California so an old Japanese man teaches him Karate.