'Priorities' - the difference between "what you want" and "what you need"

While I feel it is important to have goals and aspirations, one should never lose focus on the 'here and now' while dreaming about the future.

What do I want?

Well, I'd love nothing more than to be able to afford to buy a house in a quiet coastal village, and have a happy and peaceful life by the sea, away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

What do I need?

I need a roof over my head, and an income that allows me to pay my rent, bills and be able to afford to feed myself.

As things stand right now, I have everything that I 'need':

I have a decent paid job that I really enjoy.

I have a roof over my head - a rented property out in the suburbs of Birmingham, decent sized, with a private outdoor garden, a short walk to local well-stocked independent shops, and a less than half hour commute by bus to get to/from work.

I am lucky to be fairly satisfied with what I have. And I am incredibly grateful too.

Other people will have different circumstances, and I fully appreciate that. But the short sharp point I'd like to make here, is that it is all very well and good to have bold aspirations, in order to better oneself, but don't forget about the 'now'.

It is difficult to find that balance between being 'selfish' and being 'giving', it sounds strange but in order to develop yourself as a better person, sometimes you have to think about yourself a little more closely, and take a step back from everyone else that you know.

This is where the idea of 'priorities' comes in: before you can put others first all the time, you need to ensure that you have sorted your own 'needs' first.

Its a bit of an abstract concept to be honest, and maybe others want to interject here.

But it all boils down to the question of "what is more important to you".

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed reading this.

I would like to contribute two things.

Firstly regarding the wants. This is our desire. Desire etymology is  from the latin "from the stars" - implying that true desire is our universal/God or you could say our authentic desire. I would personally call this heart desire. This is distinguishable from egoic desire, which comes from cultural conditioning. From my experience, the former leads to joy, the latter leads to suffering. As you intimate, desire or wants, should be considered a nice to have, they are not a need. Therefore, you should detach yourself from the outcome if you wish to avoid suffering.

Needs (human) are best described in my experience by Maslow. The most important to a human being at the bottom and moving your way up the scale.

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs | Simply Psychology