Climate change low content

SimonTV

Noun

climate (countable and uncountable, plural climates)

The long-term manifestations of weather and other atmospheric conditions in a given area or country, now usually represented by the statistical summary of its weather conditions during a period long enough to ensure that representative values are obtained (generally 30 years).

(Wiktionary) 

When we had had cold weather some years ago and I suggested that maybe global warming wasn't happening, I was educated in the difference between the weather (short-term) and the climate (long term). But now there's a bit of short-term warm weather the argument is all turned on its head. 

Edited by Campion

5 hours ago, Campion said:

Noun

climate (countable and uncountable, plural climates)

The long-term manifestations of weather and other atmospheric conditions in a given area or country, now usually represented by the statistical summary of its weather conditions during a period long enough to ensure that representative values are obtained (generally 30 years).

(Wiktionary) 

When we had had cold weather some years ago and I suggested that maybe global warming wasn't happening, I was educated in the difference between the weather (short-term) and the climate (long term). But now there's a bit of short-term warm weather the argument is all turned on its head. 

Yes 

And it's climate change because the climate always changes 

the difference is some oligarchy wants to use it to control the population and make a fortune at same time and change the weather a bit extra at same time for dramatic effects

• Like 1

Be warned. Chris Packham has threatened to take to the streets “on several more occasions” before the next election.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/chris-packham-london-protest-defra-uk-wildlife-animals-extinct-national-trust-state-of-nature-b1110059.html

Tory peer Lord Zac Goldsmith also attacked the delay to net zero policies saying, the Conservative Party seems to be in “disarray” and that he may not be able to vote for it.

Dan Sherrard-Smith, founder of MyMotherTree.com told the Standard: “UK wildlife is in a dire state. Many of our favourite British species are at risk of extinction including the turtle dove and puffin.

“On current trends, we look at a bleak future with, potentially, only household pets and domestic animals sharing our island. (After environmentalists have killed off all the farming livestock.)

Dr Nicky Dee, founder of Carbon 13 also said: “It would be a sad 12 days of Christmas without the two turtle doves yet this is one of the birds at risk. While alarming, it is an alert to the greater challenges triggered by climate change.

On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me

A dead partridge in a pear tree

On the second day of Christmas, my true love sent to me

No turtle doves and

A dead partridge in a pear tree

Here's an example of fact-checking websites influenced by the usual suspects.

CLIMATE FEEDBACK is a web-based content annotation tool that allows qualified scientists to comment on climate stories online, adding context and noting inaccuracies. It is one of three websites under the SCIENCE FEEDBACK parent organization that fact-checks media coverage of health issues and climate change.

Climate Feedback reviews are used in Facebook's fact-checking partnership to identify false news articles and show them lower in its News Feed.

Science Feedback partners/funders include META/FACEBOOK, TIK TOK; GOOGLE NEWS INITIATIVE, ASHOKA (Ashoka partners include Google, Mastercard, Lego Foundation, J.P. Morgan, Accenture, Disney, Forbes).

Science Feedback is annually certified by the "International Fact Checking Network" at the POYNTER INSTITUTE (who claim to be "...a global leader in journalism").

Poynter Institute support comes from Google News Initiative, Meta, Microsoft, National Endowment for Democracy, Omidyar Network/ Luminate, TikTok, WhatsApp.

• Thanks 2

A 'do not travel' warning has been issued by police as Storm Babet continues to intensify.

Police Scotland urged people not to travel within, or to, the areas covered by the imminent red weather warning, which comes into force at 6pm on Thursday.

"All road users should avoid any form of travel in areas covered by the red weather warning."

The stark warning from police comes amid increasing travel disruption in the far north, with further air, rail and ferry services cancelled in the past few hours.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/police-issue-do-not-travel-warning-as-storm-babet-intensif-330171/

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2023 at 1:50 PM, Velma said:

Storm Babet 

Scotland's deputy first minister Shona Robison urges people to avoid travel and stay at home

Climate Lockdown

But to be fair, it's actually sound advice on this occasion.

I can see that Scotland has had the worst of this weather, but someone has also died in Shropshire.

Trains and flights are being cancelled, roads are being flooded and closed and bus services have been diverted or curtailed.

Unless you really have an 'essential' journey to make, it's probably not worth the aggravation or hassle at this time.

On 10/19/2023 at 1:50 PM, Velma said:

Storm Babet 

Scotland's deputy first minister Shona Robison urges people to avoid travel and stay at home

Climate Lockdown

There must be quite a few reasons (real or fabricated) why a lock down could be called for, at least on a local level, e.g. terrorist threat, gas leak, etc. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

But to be fair, it's actually sound advice on this occasion.

I can see that Scotland has had the worst of this weather, but someone has also died in Shropshire.

Trains and flights are being cancelled, roads are being flooded and closed and bus services have been diverted or curtailed.

Unless you really have an 'essential' journey to make, it's probably not worth the aggravation or hassle at this time.

I went to the shops, and it wasn't that bad although it was fun nearer the coast - not snow, foam off the sea

seafoam.jpg

I was reading the wiki page on Ice Age for a previous post in this thread, it's a worthwhile read for the geological history of non-human greenhouse effects and temperature changes. I was surprised to learn that the ice age isn't something from the past, but that we're still in an ice age right now because there's polar ice caps and glaciers. Greenhouse periods when the ice melts are completely natural and regular events. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

"An ice age is a long period of reduction in the temperature of Earth's surface and atmosphere, resulting in the presence or expansion of continental and polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers. Earth's climate alternates between ice ages and greenhouse periods, during which there are no glaciers on the planet. Earth is currently in the ice age called Quaternary glaciation. Individual pulses of cold climate within an ice age are termed glacial periods (or, alternatively, glacials, glaciations, glacial stages, stadials, stades, or colloquially, ice ages), and intermittent warm periods within an ice age are called interglacials or interstadials.

In glaciology, ice age implies the presence of extensive ice sheets in the northern and southern hemispheres. By this definition, Earth is in an interglacial period—the Holocene. The amount of anthropogenic greenhouse gases emitted into Earth's oceans and atmosphere is projected to delay the next glacial period, which otherwise would begin in around 50,000 years, by between 100,000 and 500,000 years." 

Edited by Campion

1 hour ago, Campion said:

I was reading the wiki page on Ice Age for a previous post in this thread, it's a worthwhile read for the geological history of non-human greenhouse effects and temperature changes. I was surprised to learn that the ice age isn't something from the past, but that we're still in an ice age right now because there's polar ice caps and glaciers. Greenhouse periods when the ice melts are completely natural and regular events. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

"An ice age is a long period of reduction in the temperature of Earth's surface and atmosphere, resulting in the presence or expansion of continental and polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers. Earth's climate alternates between ice ages and greenhouse periods, during which there are no glaciers on the planet. Earth is currently in the ice age called Quaternary glaciation. Individual pulses of cold climate within an ice age are termed glacial periods (or, alternatively, glacials, glaciations, glacial stages, stadials, stades, or colloquially, ice ages), and intermittent warm periods within an ice age are called interglacials or interstadials.

In glaciology, ice age implies the presence of extensive ice sheets in the northern and southern hemispheres. By this definition, Earth is in an interglacial period—the Holocene. The amount of anthropogenic greenhouse gases emitted into Earth's oceans and atmosphere is projected to delay the next glacial period, which otherwise would begin in around 50,000 years, by between 100,000 and 500,000 years." 

The Piri Reis map - if genuine - throws a spanner in the mainstream theory. 

"The official science has been saying all along that the ice-cap which covers the Antarctic is million years old. The Piri Reis Antarctica map shows that the northern part of that continent has been mapped before the ice did cover it. That should make us think it has been mapped million years ago, but that’s impossible since mankind did not exist at that time. Further and more accurate studies have proven that the last period of ice-free condition in the Antarctic ended about 6000 years ago. There are still doubts about the beginning of this ice-free period, which has been put by different researchers everywhere between year 13000 and 9000 BC. The question is: Who mapped the Queen Maud Land of Antarctic 6000 years ago? Which unknown civilization had the technology or the need to do that?"

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Campion said:

I was surprised to learn that the ice age isn't something from the past, but that we're still in an ice age right now because there's polar ice caps and glaciers. Greenhouse periods when the ice melts are completely natural and regular events.

Thanks Campion, it's so interesting. I think I heard it first from Bill Bryson, funnily enough!

We see how easy it is to manipulate the public, generally, by shouting the ice is melting, the poor polar bears, the flooding ... !!

It's a form of control, tax, distraction, diversion and also torture, with the repetition repetition repetition, and scaring the kids into believing the world will end. Everyday we see the effects of bad land management, blocked drains, building on wet land, lack of planting the right trees, and so on. 

It's so natural to believe 'them' as essentially the human heart is good, but there is no limit to the manipulation. 

The older you get the more you can see it, of course. Might be an idea to keep the young people away from the old, like in Covid. And before that, scaring them of 'strangers'. So devious.

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2023 at 1:46 AM, Grumpy Grapes said:

The Piri Reis map - if genuine - throws a spanner in the mainstream theory. 

"The official science has been saying all along that the ice-cap which covers the Antarctic is million years old. The Piri Reis Antarctica map shows that the northern part of that continent has been mapped before the ice did cover it. That should make us think it has been mapped million years ago, but that’s impossible since mankind did not exist at that time. Further and more accurate studies have proven that the last period of ice-free condition in the Antarctic ended about 6000 years ago. There are still doubts about the beginning of this ice-free period, which has been put by different researchers everywhere between year 13000 and 9000 BC. The question is: Who mapped the Queen Maud Land of Antarctic 6000 years ago? Which unknown civilization had the technology or the need to do that?"

The other one that interests me are the old maps of Africa, in particular those showing North Africa as being green and lush, where obviously the Sahara desert is now.

Yet 'official science' tells us the Sahara is also millions of years old. Later maps 'lost' a lot of detail shown on older ones, and explorers set out to 'discover' Africa all over again.

6 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

The other one that interests me are the old maps of Africa, in particular those showing North Africa as being green and lush, where obviously the Sahara desert is now.

Yet 'official science' tells us the Sahara is also millions of years old. Later maps 'lost' a lot of detail shown on older ones, and explorers set out to 'discover' Africa all over again.

A brief look at the mainstream view indicates there is an acceptance of green and wet phases in North Africa, most recently after the last ice age. 

2 hours ago, k_j_evans said:

OK, So where's my Heat wave????? We were promised a heatwave for Halloween and I was planning on putting another coat of paint on the back door and my yard wall - instead we have constant rain and flood warnings. Will it happen by Tuesday - asking for a friend?

Doesn't look like it! 😁

Depends on where you are in the UK... it stayed dry all day today here in Birmingham despite the Weather Channel forecasting "rain possible after 1pm" this morning, then as the day progressed it changed to 'after 4pm', then 'after 7pm', now at the time of writing it says 'after 00:30'.

I should have taken the opportunity to collect up the remainder of the leaves in my garden, but chose to have a nice stroll through The Dingles (Shire Country Park) in the afternoon sunshine instead!

Looks like it will be a bit wet and windy again the remainder of this week - as Guns N' Roses sung in 1991 "it's hard to hold a candle in the cold November rain"

On 10/29/2023 at 7:36 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

Doesn't look like it! 😁

Depends on where you are in the UK... it stayed dry all day today here in Birmingham despite the Weather Channel forecasting "rain possible after 1pm" this morning, then as the day progressed it changed to 'after 4pm', then 'after 7pm', now at the time of writing it says 'after 00:30'.

I should have taken the opportunity to collect up the remainder of the leaves in my garden, but chose to have a nice stroll through The Dingles (Shire Country Park) in the afternoon sunshine instead!

Looks like it will be a bit wet and windy again the remainder of this week - as Guns N' Roses sung in 1991 "it's hard to hold a candle in the cold November rain"

Well, it was dry today - but not warm (9 degrees) - so I got another coat on the wall, but I still need to do the door, and we have further storm and flood warnings for later this week.

Climate change and environmental awareness interrelated awareness , solutions dilemma.

Listened to interesting radio world service (BBC !) program apparently 

Ecuador voted by referendum

@ 60 /40 %}

to stop oil production where young seem to have  voted to save environment .Some might be voting this way to protect rainforest diversity , prevent pollution etc but some probably voted also to do their best to lower climate change as experienced perhaps and set example to Northern countries , perhaps?

So in my mind good for local environment , (preventing pollution ) even if partly based on  reactions to climate change which is more complicated too 

Even if what really causes climate change is much more complicated etc sometimes good may come of it too maybe ?

But

And bad  too !

eg mining for lithium , batteries ,turbines  pollution etc 

Meanwhile of course  in Ecuador local people relying on oil production need compensation or alternatives to live  there.

But rainforests  and indigenous peoples need protecting more than ever! 

In wider rainforest too!

From pollution and degredation of habitat

Meanwhile what is being sprayed across world skies and manipulation of ionosphere etc continues occultly

Edited by Talorgan
  • Thanks 1

No heat wave. Still f-ing raining. MSM is saying that October was the wettest "ever" - so at least a small change from the "hottest ever". Might help if councils and water companies actually looked after draining - don't need an official climate lockdown, fiddling with the weather is doing it anyway. 3 month bus strike and flooded roads

water.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, k_j_evans said:

No heat wave. Still f-ing raining. MSM is saying that October was the wettest "ever" - so at least a small change from the "hottest ever". Might help if councils and water companies actually looked after draining - don't need an official climate lockdown, fiddling with the weather is doing it anyway. 3 month bus strike and flooded roads

water.jpg

Rained endlessly between January and the end of April this year. Council removed hosepipe ban in September. Clear drainage and lack of capacity issues. Not hard to resolve.