Best off grid water filter

jack121

In the near future when we are living off grid, what water filter do you recommend. I have used reverse osmosis for years, it is efficient, cheap and cleans out about 97% of impurities, but it relies on the water pressure from the mains to force the water through the membranes.

In the future when we do not have the mains pressure, what should we be using, what is cheapest and best, Doulton ceramic? black berkey, or any others

Thanks!

If there's electricity, a water distiller, approx cost £300 to £400. 

If, in this future scenario there is no electricity, then a black berkey is your best best. The black filters can last anywhere up to a decade.

Thanks.

Can you please expand on the plastic sheet, are you talking about collecting the morning dew, or rainwater

What about river water or water from a stream, how safe is that to drink, i was told as long as the water is moving bacteria can't build up inside it. Could i filter that through a t-shirt and drink.

• 1 month later...

There are several popular and proven water filters for backing - an activity in which filter manufacturers expect you to drink from the dirtiest water possible. A bad water filter can often threaten people's lives in the back country, so backpackers are not likely to do that. With such gravity filters, hundreds of backpackers go into the wood each weekend. Not exactly research, but a better demographic test is difficult to imagine.

Edited by mehwish.yati