Jump to content

Fear of God?


 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello friends,

 

I was wondering if some of you here can explain to me why, oh why, should a person have a fear from God?

 

As much as I know, only Christians and Muslims preach that, and maybe perhaps Jews?

 

They say God is benevolent, they say God is love, etc.

 

Why the need for fear then?

 

Fear is a very negative emotion/energy, and only evil beings demand fear?

 

Please, enlighten me. Thanks..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just my two cents worth........

 

I agree that it seems like a paradox. So what meaning can I derive from this?

 

To me it's a "thorn to remove a thorn"........

 

Human behaviour at the lowest level, is driven by fear. Having this knowledge, the ancients have leveraged fear for a force for good. Fear God so that you change your behaviour from "bad" to "good". This will be one thorn removed. Then the hope is that once you have learned to do good or be a good human, you may evolve further and no longer require fear as a motivator, but the love you have found from doing good as the motivator.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr H said:

Just my two cents worth........

 

I agree that it seems like a paradox. So what meaning can I derive from this?

 

To me it's a "thorn to remove a thorn"........

 

Human behaviour at the lowest level, is driven by fear. Having this knowledge, the ancients have leveraged fear for a force for good. Fear God so that you change your behaviour from "bad" to "good". This will be one thorn removed. Then the hope is that once you have learned to do good or be a good human, you may evolve further and no longer require fear as a motivator, but the love you have found from doing good as the motivator.

Thanks brother, that makes a lot of sense. You made it seem less absurd 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2021 at 1:57 PM, XelNaga said:

Hello friends,

 

I was wondering if some of you here can explain to me why, oh why, should a person have a fear from God?

 

As much as I know, only Christians and Muslims preach that, and maybe perhaps Jews?

 

They say God is benevolent, they say God is love, etc.

 

Why the need for fear then?

 

Fear is a very negative emotion/energy, and only evil beings demand fear?

 

Please, enlighten me. Thanks..

 

It is only positive with God. Fear of any of the creatures is a form of paganism. The reason is because God is control of everything, and knowing that we did mistakes, we don't know if we will be forgiven or not. We don't know if God will bring us disaster or not. The fear of God is actually the fear of consequences of our own sin. 


Also, people know that we attract what we fear. Strong emotions mixed with thought are a recipe for the creation. Like "the Secret", and books like "Think Yourself Rich", that deal that our mental disposition has effects on our 'destiny'. Few people will deny that optimism will attract better outcomes than pessimism. So regardless what we do, we must fear. But we can program ourselves to channel it the only way that it goes beyond the actual space-time continuum, and it goes in a direction which is the only one that literally matters. The Creator. 

 

There are many benefits of the fear of God, including that one has less stress trying to avoid disaster, while guiding ones fear emotions to God, it automatically entails that one delivers a hope and delegates ones safety to God. So one has time to think of better things, as God will take care of it.

 

From my experimentation since I was a kid, it always works. Prayers always work, to the One God who created us all, hears us all, and controls all. Without Whom there is no power and change. Nothing can happen without Him, so whatever can go wrong, can only go wrong if He OKs it. This reality in the mind of every monotheist is the scary part. The thought of going to hell forever is scary. The thought of the suffering of the grave is scary. The thought that we might be hit back in this life for all or any of the wrong we did to ourselves and others, is scary. The thought that one could lose what we have, including our intelligence and honor, is scary. For me, what matters is my rank of love from God among the creatures, which is the source of my honor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Weedo said:

 

It is only positive with God. Fear of any of the creatures is a form of paganism. The reason is because God is control of everything, and knowing that we did mistakes, we don't know if we will be forgiven or not. We don't know if God will bring us disaster or not. The fear of God is actually the fear of consequences of our own sin. 


Also, people know that we attract what we fear. Strong emotions mixed with thought are a recipe for the creation. Like "the Secret", and books like "Think Yourself Rich", that deal that our mental disposition has effects on our 'destiny'. Few people will deny that optimism will attract better outcomes than pessimism. So regardless what we do, we must fear. But we can program ourselves to channel it the only way that it goes beyond the actual space-time continuum, and it goes in a direction which is the only one that literally matters. The Creator. 

 

There are many benefits of the fear of God, including that one has less stress trying to avoid disaster, while guiding ones fear emotions to God, it automatically entails that one delivers a hope and delegates ones safety to God. So one has time to think of better things, as God will take care of it.

 

From my experimentation since I was a kid, it always works. Prayers always work, to the One God who created us all, hears us all, and controls all. Without Whom there is no power and change. Nothing can happen without Him, so whatever can go wrong, can only go wrong if He OKs it. This reality in the mind of every monotheist is the scary part. The thought of going to hell forever is scary. The thought of the suffering of the grave is scary. The thought that we might be hit back in this life for all or any of the wrong we did to ourselves and others, is scary. The thought that one could lose what we have, including our intelligence and honor, is scary. For me, what matters is my rank of love from God among the creatures, which is the source of my honor.

Thank you brother. You have explained this to me perfectly.

 

I can't say that I agree with the idea of fear od God, I find it crazy and absurd, but your explanation is spot on and now I understand why many people do fear God.

 

Kind regards..

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2021 at 1:57 PM, XelNaga said:

Hello friends,

 

I was wondering if some of you here can explain to me why, oh why, should a person have a fear from God?

 

As much as I know, only Christians and Muslims preach that, and maybe perhaps Jews?

 

They say God is benevolent, they say God is love, etc.

 

Why the need for fear then?

 

Fear is a very negative emotion/energy, and only evil beings demand fear?

 

Please, enlighten me. Thanks..

imo becuse those who say those things are doing their work,it's called propaganda and it's pushed to keep people stupid and ignorant so they never can reach their full potential and higher awareness

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, XelNaga said:

Thank you brother. You have explained this to me perfectly.

 

I can't say that I agree with the idea of fear od God, I find it crazy and absurd, but your explanation is spot on and now I understand why many people do fear God.

 

Kind regards..

Habibi at your service. It's my honor to hear your kind words and wishes. Blessings, and peace to you and your loved ones dear brother XelNaga

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, screamingeagle said:

imo becuse those who say those things are doing their work,it's called propaganda and it's pushed to keep people stupid and ignorant so they never can reach their full potential and higher awareness

Oh yes, for sure.

 

Fear binds us, and lowers our vibration and energy.

 

I guess it's part of a plan, as religions are one of the most powerful forms of control.

 

Thanks..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Weedo said:

Habibi at your service. It's my honor to hear your kind words and wishes. Blessings, and peace to you and your loved ones dear brother XelNaga

Oh, habibi, that is so nice 😊

 

Thank you my brother, all the best to you and yours as well.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Fear can be good if it prevents people from doing wrong things. Like don't drive too fast or you can get into an accident or don't eat too much so you don't get sick. When its to protect from harm, it's good. However, if it becomes a treat to violate your rights or cause you to fear things that you shouldn't its bad.  As a Muslim, I also was confused with the notion of Loving God and Fearing him at the same time. But now I see it through a different perspective after looking at some modern nd experience and studying the work of Swedenborg, I know that God Loves us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK lets be honest here , how many were introduced to their  particular religions by their parents and  how much does fear govern your belief in god and the following of the rule book (bible) because the ramifications of not doing so can be quite server,if you believe the propaganda

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ego fears GOD, and wants it's host to believe the lies it tells them about "GOD". When the Infinite Love of GOD begins to be "sensed", and recognized, the ego will project a terror(of loss of self/life), and if one believes it, will then retreat from it...and continue the sad illusion of detachment from Reality.

The Truth is, there is nothing to lose....and Everything to (re)gain with GOD, and it will never punish or reject one of IT'S own.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not only the monotheistic religions which have this teaching of fearing God. The polytheistic pantheons in the ancient world were full of fear of the Gods & Goddesses, who were in charge of all the natural forces of weather, diseases, fertility, even warfare. It's why sacrifice was so common, to appease the Gods because life was hard and perilous and fear of God was pretty much synonymous with fear of nature. 

 

Saying you should either fear or love God is IMO rather like one of those Zen koan riddles.  It's not really an instruction to fear or love, but an invitation to contemplate the relationship between your feelings and your free will. Can you choose fear or love, or does it happen naturally by itself? Alan Watts used to talk about this, how we're told to love our parents for example, but then it's only acceptable if the love is genuine and not faked. 

 

I suffer with anxiety, and try as I might I can't just switch it off by an act of will, so I fear all sorts of things that don't serve me. It's out of my control, so the best I can do is accept it and not resist. Same with accepting God's will isn't it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 7/4/2021 at 9:57 PM, XelNaga said:

I was wondering if some of you here can explain to me why, oh why, should a person have a fear from God?

 

[On religion] "... We must be afraid, and we must also be forced to love someone we fear. The essence of sadomasochism, the essence of abjection, the essence of the master-slave relationship." – Hitch

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2022 at 4:13 AM, peter said:

OK lets be honest here , how many were introduced to their  particular religions by their parents and  how much does fear govern your belief in god and the following of the rule book (bible) because the ramifications of not doing so can be quite server,if you believe the propaganda

Let's be honest, this is your argument full stop. One cannot have any faith in God unless they were indoctrinated and therefore by default, in your opinion, one cannot possibly have a thought of their own as a result because they're indoctrinated by the cult. Absolute bollocks Peter and you know it. The same wanky argument over and again. Your lack of understanding is not other people's issue, it is yours alone. Just because you lack faith in God shouldn't mean anything less for those that do. 

 

Well Peter, I was not brought up in religion, I was a staunch atheist and now, yes I believe in God. So, what now? So I must be stupid and misguided as a result of that belief?  Also, your denigration of religion is exactly why the world is in the mess that it is. Funny the more godless we become, the more selfish, arrogant and despicable we become. 🤔

 

Yet it is the people of religion who cause all the world's problems because of their fear of the "RULE book". Absolute nonsense and it is the perpetual yard stick that you constantly use to berate people of faith. 

 

How about your faith? Scientism. Stick there bud, that's your thing. It has all the answers supposedly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2021 at 4:57 AM, screamingeagle said:

imo becuse those who say those things are doing their work,it's called propaganda and it's pushed to keep people stupid and ignorant so they never can reach their full potential and higher awareness

 

Nothing like the fear of eternal hellfire to fuck up the minds of kids...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2022 at 3:13 PM, peter said:

OK lets be honest here , how many were introduced to their  particular religions by their parents and  how much does fear govern your belief in god and the following of the rule book (bible) because the ramifications of not doing so can be quite server,if you believe the propaganda

 

This is obvious by the fact that where you grow up largely determines your religion. And wherever that is, those in authority will be adamant that the religion they told you is true from childhood is the right one, and the other ones are the false religions. Go to another part of the world, and theirs will be the 'right one', etc. The best part of the secular view of things is that it allows you to understand they are all equally full of shit.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

Let's be honest, this is your argument full stop. One cannot have any faith in God unless they were indoctrinated and therefore by default, in your opinion, one cannot possibly have a thought of their own as a result because they're indoctrinated by the cult. Absolute bollocks Peter and you know it. The same wanky argument over and again. Your lack of understanding is not other people's issue, it is yours alone. Just because you lack faith in God shouldn't mean anything less for those that do. 

 

Well Peter, I was not brought up in religion, I was a staunch atheist and now, yes I believe in God. So, what now? So I must be stupid and misguided as a result of that belief?  Also, your denigration of religion is exactly why the world is in the mess that it is. Funny the more godless we become, the more selfish, arrogant and despicable we become. 🤔

 

Yet it is the people of religion who cause all the world's problems because of their fear of the "RULE book". Absolute nonsense and it is the perpetual yard stick that you constantly use to berate people of faith. 

 

How about your faith? Scientism. Stick there bud, that's your thing. It has all the answers supposedly. 

 

There's a lot you said here that is wide open to serious critique.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, DarianF said:

  Also, your denigration of religion is exactly why the world is in the mess that it is. Funny the more godless we become, the more selfish, arrogant and despicable we become. 🤔

In your opinion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Morpheus said:

Go for it and just so we're clear, like I give a shit. I'll think what I like. 

 

I understand you're emotional about it, obviously, so I'll try to keep it objective and detached.

 

I'll get back to you. If I don't, feel free to remind me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...