Can hospitals force you to take a covid test?

My mum is unwell and staying in a cancer unit ward in hospital. She said a nurse came to give her a covid test, and my mum said no. The nurse told her she ‘has to’ which my mum replied she will sign herself out of that’s the case and he nurse said ‘you can’t do that’ - I think she’s going to come back with a covid test again and try get her to agree.

Can hospitals demand a covid test on patients?

Unless the criminals have changed it, and the 'emergency powers' do not do that,  no adult can be forced to take any medical treatment or procedure against their will.     Every adult can sign themselves out of any hospital -there might be exceptions such as very serious infectious diseases - yellow fever, smallpox, etc.  I suggest the poster books a free half- hour appointment with a solicitor - most practises offer that. Or possibly try Citizens Advice - they used to have a volunteer lawyer in once a week.  Stand up to bullying by a supposed 'caring'; profession.  If you can afford it, take the lawyer with you to remove your mum from hospital.  I heard of someone doing just that a few weeks ago, it worked like a dream 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, writer said:

Unless the criminals have changed it, and the 'emergency powers' do not do that,  no adult can be forced to take any medical treatment or procedure against their will.     Every adult can sign themselves out of any hospital -there might be exceptions such as very serious infectious diseases - yellow fever, smallpox, etc.  I suggest the poster books a free half- hour appointment with a solicitor - most practises offer that. Or possibly try Citizens Advice - they used to have a volunteer lawyer in once a week.  Stand up to bullying by a supposed 'caring'; profession.  If you can afford it, take the lawyer with you to remove your mum from hospital.  I heard of someone doing just that a few weeks ago, it worked like a dream 

Excellent thank you. She is allowed to leave but unfortunately was bullied into taking the test through threat of not being treated. She has brain cancer and I think her medication made her mentally unwell and they found she was dehydrated so it just having scans, fluids and bloods taken.

I’m furious that they could bully a cancer patient to taking a test or needed medical care will not be given 😡