Lies, damn lies, and BBC statistics ...

webtrekker

Ok, I know everyone is fed up to the back teeth now with statistics and graphs, but I promise this will be quick and easy to digest.

On the BBC News tonight (and on their website) they posted this graph to support the extended lockdown being planned for June 21st ...

graph1_BBC.jpg.7460e4bbca6b76025c04718438b47b01.jpg

Wow! Looks bad, doesn't it!

But take a careful look at he Y-axis ... it's LOGARITHMIC. I've plotted the same data points below using the same range as the BBC graph ...

graph2_LOG.jpg.1e24a3faec3e8668167f7e0d045b40e0.jpg

However, if we now switch that Y-axis back to LINEAR you'll see that the graph now looks nowhere near as dramatic as the BBC offering ...

graph3_LIN.jpg.c4b56d1505df7f3178e9a19867626852.jpg

I can't for the life of me see any reason here for prolonging the lockdown, can you?

• Thanks 3

You are Genius OP, thanks!  

And thanks for the simplicity in understanding too! 👍

I've probably missed sooo much in the covid leviathon sized behemoth thread and the rest.

And its just a proper nice breath of fresh air to reveal them so concisely and liberating to have a proper expounding of those at the 'conservatoire BBC institution house of desolution.' (haha, I think they would almost like the sound only of my words, but not what they mean, haha ... ) 

Edited by TetraG
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, TetraG said:

You are Genius OP, thanks!  

And thanks for the simplicity in understanding too! 👍

I've probably missed sooo much in the covid leviathon sized behemoth thread and the rest.

And its just a proper nice breath of fresh air to reveal them so concisely and liberating to have a proper expounding of those at the 'conservatoire BBC institution house of desolution.' (haha, I think they would almost like the sound only of my words, but not what they mean, haha ... ) 

Thank you.

Haha! Don't kow about 'Genius,' but the facts are right in front of all of our eyes, it's just how we interpret them to cut through the media bullshit that matters. Using LOG instead of LIN graph scales is an old trick which I've know since my school maths days, over 50 years ago. No doubt you'll be checking every graph you see from now on! 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webtrekker said:

No doubt you'll be checking every graph you see from now on!

Hello, 🙂

Yeah nice one, will do indeed...

Now so as not to bother you more than one should for all the explanation of how to do (if at all difficult to switch etc- although I guess not really?), I'll have to look over the method from the web some place...  Still what you could offer please with a little help is~ any suggestion of where best we go for this, like is *wiki* my best bet? Or better an actual math site should I look at?

Hey, I darn near got into algebra the other day just by doing a WORD ONLY search but then happening on how the word "transpose" is used or implemented via whatever purpose, leading me into the realms of 3D algebra. hehe.  

Mind, Blown, just a little. 😁

Edited by TetraG

6 hours ago, TetraG said:

Now so as not to bother you more than one should for all the explanation of how to do (if at all difficult to switch etc- although I guess not really?), I'll have to look over the method from the web some place...  Still what you could offer please with a little help is~ any suggestion of where best we go for this, like is *wiki* my best bet? Or better an actual math site should I look at?

Well, if it's covid-9 data you are mainly interested in, you could do what I have done in the examples above and go to this site and pick a dataset for any country, or countries, you wish. Choose a date range for the graph and then simply click on either the 'linear' or 'log' buttons in the top left corner of the graph to switch scales.

• Like 1

Okay, I wonder how many others here know this data site?... Anyway thanks...

Will get onto it later tho. My typing fingers are worn out today...And have forum overload just in general.  

Edited by TetraG
  • Haha 1

I am too busy enjoying the title of this fab suggestivisation: "Lockdown Sceptics" ... Perfect by name! =)

Perfect in character. =) 

its like water when you're  really thirsty man! =)

And ok, I have briefly taken a peep despite my fingers feeling like text hammers. 

Two symbols resembling DOWN spike in 'covid morbidity' now... ☈⇲ 😅

And also a DOWN-ward number in nhs wards awarded too, lol. ( ͡ಠ ͜ʖ ͡ಠ) haha.

Edited by TetraG
  • Haha 1