BREAKING NEWS: UK now "hotter than Australia" - media using weather as propaganda

On 7/26/2023 at 10:55 PM, Grumpy Grapes said:

The Liverpool Echo is issuing similar warnings about Turkey from the UK government, including earthquake warnings. The weather in Antalya is below 35 degrees for the next 2 weeks, according to the BBC weather. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/turkey-travel-risk-warning-anybody-27395964?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Oh dear. A lad I had in for training this week was complaining that he had booked a holiday in Rhodes but it got cancelled - so he rebooked for Turkey. Ah well.

9 hours ago, webtrekker said:

Global Boiling! Hahahahaha! ... Boiling of what? Rock? Metal? Even good old water needs 100°C to BOIL!!! I think wer're a long way from that yet. 🤣

Not happening according to data in the USA - so not global. But there is an upwards trend in Europe - probably because most of their weather stations are in urban areas in Germany and Austria - urban heat effect duh! -  and because they mix data from stations that didn't exist until the 2000s with data form stations that were decommissioned decades ago. You really can't measure this unless you use only stations that have produced data for at least the last 100 years. But apparently air temps in the troposphere are not increasing. Perhaps we can have a fry, a grill and a saute, oh, and a barbie to complete the set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2023 at 6:05 PM, Fifth element said:

Something unprecidented happened with the british summers in the 2007 period record summer floods unheard of..

The 1980s didn t see anything like that..

So we re back to a very wet cool july 4th wettest on record so far..certainly wont reach 2007 levels..here..

And after the driest May and June combo on record..

Already 5.2 inches of rain this month here..

Also it ll be the first time July is cooler than june since 1970..

It's mobile phones, wifi and satellites - and more data centres. That's what's changed since the 80s.

• Thanks 1

There was a news flash on the radio when I was taking the dog down for a run,apparently global warming is the least of our worries because when the ice melts all those ancient bacteria that were previously  locked in the frozen ice will be let loose to run amuck . Holy shit I can't believe how much more afraid I am now than yesterday, multiples of zero is still zero

• Haha 2

Global warming is happening below our feet not above..

Thats what El nino is underground heating volcanoes on the rise tectonic plates shifting more causing rock to get red hot..

Why so many fires in Canada and greek islands near the fault lines..yes something huge is causing it but definately not man..🤣

• Like 1

They really can't help themselves can they?

Met Office gives verdict on reports UK is 'approaching heatwave territory'

The UK has been predicted to be on the cusp of a heatwave this month - but the Met Office is unconvinced. Exacta Weather forecaster James Madden said projections suggest "a return of high pressure and some potentially very hot temperatures by mid-August... possibly a little earlier".

"This should throw us back into heatwave territory on a number of occasions during the second half of the month," he explained. "This should also pave the way for our well-touted warm to hot September as a number of potential African plumes bake our shores in well above-average temperatures for the time of the year."

Conditions appear to be "shaping up nicely" for a "very hot peak of weather" during the second half of August. "It is likely that temperatures could reach into the mid-30Cs or above and over a number of several day periods," he said. But the Met Office has shared its own update - and appears to be rubbishing the claims.

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/met-office-gives-verdict-reports-27435248

Basically the jet stream is making this summer relatively cool/mild, but there's a possibility we might get a bit of 'decent' summer weather later in August.

It's almost like they're desperate for it to get a 'bit hot' so they can start rolling out the 'heatwave' narrative again.

• Thanks 2

Repeats of It Aint Half Hot Mum are to be permanently cancelled due to the title's chances of triggering climate anxiety in viewers, and it will also be afforded official hate-crime status owing to the use of the term Mum. Which is to be outlawed in the non-binary dystopian near-futureworld. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The media is taking a break from talk of 'heatwaves' and instead is banging on about Storm Antoni, and how being 'wet and windy' is now a "danger to life".

Meanwhile here in Birmingham, it's not a typical early August day!

image.png.a86cbb3cb5d8a6adf668f52bbe02eaa0.png

Storm Antoni: Danger to life warning as strong winds and heavy rain hits UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66413946

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2023 at 7:11 AM, Anti Facts Sir said:

Repeats of It Aint Half Hot Mum are to be permanently cancelled due to the title's chances of triggering climate anxiety in viewers, and it will also be afforded official hate-crime status owing to the use of the term Mum. Which is to be outlawed in the non-binary dystopian near-futureworld. 

Give it time and I don't think you will be far off the mark

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This reminds me of Daily Express headlines from around 10 years ago.

Forecasters warn Beast from the East could return bringing months of snow to UK

A new Beast from the East could hit the UK this year. It comes after the famous storm brought snow and freezing temperatures to our shores back in 2018.

And now forecasters have warned that snow could hit in November and carry on until the beginning of 2024. Exacta Weather forecaster James Madden said there is a "medium-high risk for an early SSW (sudden stratospheric warming) from in and around mid-November onwards this year."

He but added it could take "a number of weeks" before its impact can be seen in Britain. He added there is "an even greater risk for further SSWs to occur throughout January and February 2024 that are likely to be highly influential on our overall weather patterns in terms of snow and cold."

Despite its name, a sudden stratospheric warming actually causes temperatures to drop significantly. The Met Office explains the SSW refers to what happens in the stratosphere - a rapid warming of up to 50C in a couple of days, between 10km and 50km above the Earth's surface, the Mirror reports.

We do not feel the warming ourselves but usually, a few weeks later, we can start to see knock-on effects on the jet stream, which in turn affects our weather lower down. A spokesperso for the Met Office added: "Every year in winter, strong westerly winds circle around the pole high up in the stratosphere.

"This is called the stratospheric polar vortex and it circulates around cold air high over the Arctic. In some years, the winds in the polar vortex temporarily weaken, or even reverse to flow from east to west.

"The cold air then descends very rapidly in the polar vortex and this causes the temperature in the stratosphere to rise very rapidly, as much as 50­°C over only a few days; hence the term sudden stratospheric warming. As the cold air from high up in the stratosphere disperses, it can affect the shape of the jet stream as the cold air sinks from the stratosphere into the troposphere. It is this change in the jet stream that causes our weather to change."

The change in the jet stream can cause it to "snake" more, creating an area of what is called "blocking high pressure" over the North Atlantic and Scandinavia. This prevents other weather systems moving past it. In turn, it means the UK experiences extended periods of low temperatures - and in some cases the drop leads to massive downpours of snow.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/forecasters-warn-beast-east-could-27817234

The key word here of course being "could".

Equally possible is we may have another 'milder' winter, depending on how the jet stream is flowing by then.

Anyway it seems to me like these Exacta Weather clowns' predictions rarely materialise.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, k_j_evans said:

It was quite warm today. About 20 for a time. Not bad for first day of October - but raining, of course. A lot warmer than the last three weeks anyway.

Yes, despite the cloud cover it was quite pleasant today. But it gets better!

Met Office share exact date October 'mini-heatwave' will hit as temperatures soar to 23C

A mini-heatwave could be on the way to the UK, forecasters have predicted. Above average temperatures are expected in the UK this month.

The warm weather will start on Monday. However, this will be followed by rain before the temperature rises again on Saturday, October 7. It will then remain warm for around two weeks, according to weather charts.

In some places, the temperature will reach 23C - a stark difference from the average October temperature of 13C, the Mirror reports. The Met Office long-range forecast - covering October 4-13 - also predicts: "Temperatures likely to be above average overall, perhaps very warm at times in the south, though some cool nights and chance of early fog."

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/met-office-share-exact-date-27820532

Apparently "hotter than Barcelona" if of course Barcelona finds itself the 'wrong side' of the jet stream, which means it has cooler temperatures than can be expected for the time of year.

2 hours ago, bamboozooka said:

UK sees joint warmest September on record

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/66957427

the eleet have a conundrum.

they need 30 deg decembers (northern hemisphere) to push global boiling

but they also need the billions ppl spend on heating their homes.

cant have it both ways

Persuade us to buy aircon perhaps? 

• 2 months later...

For the last couple of weeks, we've been bombarded with numerous MSM articles with their 'warnings', and the Met Office 'breaking their silence' and 'issuing verdicts' every five minutes about some "xxx miles of snow/rain" that is due to hit the UK, according to some very dubious forecasting by the likes of WXcharts.

To be frankly honest, I only really care about what the weather is going to be like in my area, as that is what affects me the most.

It's looking like it is going to be a relatively 'mild' Christmas here in Birmingham and the West Midlands, with the occasional downpour of rain.

image.png.e037a686fa0bd88bb0eeace91f468193.png

There might be other areas of the country where there might be snow and sub-zero temperatures, but thankfully not here where I am.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Owl said:

For the last couple of weeks, we've been bombarded with numerous MSM articles with their 'warnings', and the Met Office 'breaking their silence' and 'issuing verdicts' every five minutes about some "xxx miles of snow/rain" that is due to hit the UK, according to some very dubious forecasting by the likes of WXcharts.

To be frankly honest, I only really care about what the weather is going to be like in my area, as that is what affects me the most.

It's looking like it is going to be a relatively 'mild' Christmas here in Birmingham and the West Midlands, with the occasional downpour of rain.

There might be other areas of the country where there might be snow and sub-zero temperatures, but thankfully not here where I am.

Apart from a bit of sleet, there's no significant snow in the forecasts for Scotland and the North of England over Xmas and the new year, at least not from the big name forecasters (Met Office, BBC, etc). 

2 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Really windy here (over 60mph), so it feels cold. But it has been as high as 14 degrees this week. Looks as though the wind will drop a bit - although there is still a yellow warning - but daytime temps not bad. Wet, of course.

image.png.06e8f9d63470fb8ca71a0ea3e4474ed6.png

Edited by k_j_evans

2 hours ago, bamboozooka said:

every other day we are having 40mph gusts.

not normal

engineered?

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

40mph would be lovely - hourly forecast here is gusts up to 77mph for the next few hours. Cat was blown off wall (but he pretended he jumped down on purpose as it's embarrassing.

• Haha 1