BREAKING NEWS: UK now "hotter than Australia" - media using weather as propaganda

20 hours ago, k_j_evans said:

I just wish it would stop raining so I can finish the pointing and paint the outside door frames. It's not heavy - just relentless.

I was optimistic when I got up this morning and the sun was shining... managed to at least get my washing out on the line to dry, then just as I got myself washed and dressed ready to tackle the garden, then it started raining... Typical!

The trouble is that you never know how long it's going to rain for, sometimes its just a few minutes, sometimes up to an hour. Then when you think it might stop for long enough to do anything, it starts again! 🤪

• Thanks 1

Something unprecidented happened with the british summers in the 2007 period record summer floods unheard of..

The 1980s didn t see anything like that..

So we re back to a very wet cool july 4th wettest on record so far..certainly wont reach 2007 levels..here..

And after the driest May and June combo on record..

Already 5.2 inches of rain this month here..

Also it ll be the first time July is cooler than june since 1970..

Edited by Fifth element
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Fifth element said:

Something unprecidented happened with the british summers in the 2007 period record summer floods unheard of..

So we re back to a very wet cool july 4th wettest on record so far..certainly wont reach 2007 levels..here..

This was mentioned earlier in this thread when I posted about the jetstream, yes 2007 saw a cool wet July in the UK while most of southern Europe baked in high temperatures.

Sounds familiar? It's also the same reason why parts of the southern USA are/have been very hot.

It's the jet stream! Not climate change! 😛

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 5:38 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

Also as I've mentioned previously, just because a 'high temperature' has been recorded in one specific place, doesn't mean the 'whole country' is "that hot".

The media is using weather reporting to push the climate change agenda, by making people believe that what is happening is 'unprecedented'.

Many people in the UK have happily trotted off on their summer holidays for years to places in southern Europe where it gets 'really hot' around this time every year, and that's one of the reasons why people go there! Yet when the UK encounters such temperatures every few years then it becomes "deadly" and "dangerous".

Case in point, for whatever reason someone decided to publish this on my local Birmingham Mail 'news' website (helpfully categorised under 'Midlands Weather' 🤪)

38C in Turkey as holidaymakers evacuated from neighbouring Greece

A heat map for Turkey on Wednesday

The temperature will reach 38C in Turkey this week - as holiday-makers are being evacuated from neighbouring Greece amid devastating wildfires. The popular Turkish holiday resort of Antalya will see temperatures of 38C today, July 24, tomorrow and Wednesday, according to the BBC.

It comes as heatwaves have brought high temperatures across southern Europe, including in Greece where wildfires began on Monday last week, July 17. In Istanbul, the country's capital and another popular tourist destination, the temperature today is 29C however on Wednesday that will increase to 36C.

Other temperatures around the country today are: 32C in Izmir, 35C in Adana, 35C in Gaziantep and 38C in Diyarbakir, says the Met Office. There are no travel warnings to the country due to the heat.

from https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/travel/38c-turkey-holidaymakers-evacuated-neighbouring-27385857

Now forgive me if I'm wrong, because I've never actually been to Turkey myself, but I do know a few people who do holiday there regularly.

Doesn't Turkey normally get that hot this time of year? Especially those southern parts of the country that are very popular with British holidaymakers, for two reasons:

1) it's cheap

2) the weather is usually glorious at this time of year.

My emphasis was in bold, I have NEVER heard of any travel warnings to Turkey due to 'heat'.

• Haha 1

The "king of clickbait" James Rodgers is at it again...

Met Office say 'it's fairly disappointing' and issue UK heatwave update

The BBC and the Met Office have rubbished reports a 48C European heatwave could reach as far as the UK. Fires have raged in Greece amid scorching temperatures, with holidaymakers evacuated as flights rush to collect stranded Brits.

In Italy and Spain, the mercury has hit a staggeringly warm 48C at times in recent weeks. The Met Office doesn't predict the UK will see any hot summer temperatures until around mid-August.

A BBC weather expert also agreed, confirming: "Weather patterns have been stuck in the same position and there is no real sign of that changing". In its outlook for the week ahead, the Beeb predicted: "Wednesday is expected to see sunshine, variable cloud and showers, these mostly in the south-west."

Met Office meteorologist Simon Partridge told Sky News: “It’s fairly disappointing for the middle of July, nothing particularly warm or sunny. At the moment, the main signal on our long-range models is there is a signal for things turning drier and warmer but not until mid-August.

Explaining the reason behind the UK's weather in comparison to Europe, they added: "The weather pattern is blocked and not changing which is part of the reason why things got so warm in southern Europe, because that high pressure is just sitting there, keeping that warmth growing, but unfortunately it is keeping us in this more changeable airstream, so nothing too wonderful for the next couple of weeks.”

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/met-office-say-its-fairly-27387047

Let us not forget that just a couple of months ago, these same 'expert' meteorologists were forecasting 'African plumes' would bring 35C 'heatwaves' to the UK in July.

As I wrote here: https://thegrumpyowl.co.uk/2023/05/13/weather-experts-it-will-be-hot-in-june-july-and-august/

The weather won't change here in the UK until the jetstream shifts and these low and high pressure systems start to move from their current positions.

Notice how in the absence of 'extreme weather' here in the UK, the media is now relentlessly focusing on the weather elsewhere, the way they are carrying on you'd think that the whole of Greece was on fire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Case in point, for whatever reason someone decided to publish this on my local Birmingham Mail 'news' website (helpfully categorised under 'Midlands Weather' 🤪)

from https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/travel/38c-turkey-holidaymakers-evacuated-neighbouring-27385857

Now forgive me if I'm wrong, because I've never actually been to Turkey myself, but I do know a few people who do holiday there regularly.

Doesn't Turkey normally get that hot this time of year? Especially those southern parts of the country that are very popular with British holidaymakers, for two reasons:

1) it's cheap

My emphasis was in bold, I have NEVER heard of any travel warnings to Turkey due to 'heat'.

The average for Antalya in July is the mid 30s, so 38 degrees is not unusual. The amount of exaggeration in the MSM this summer is unprecedented, IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

The "king of clickbait" James Rodgers is at it again...

Met Office say 'it's fairly disappointing' and issue UK heatwave update

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/met-office-say-its-fairly-27387047

Let us not forget that just a couple of months ago, these same 'expert' meteorologists were forecasting 'African plumes' would bring 35C 'heatwaves' to the UK in July.

As I wrote here: https://thegrumpyowl.co.uk/2023/05/13/weather-experts-it-will-be-hot-in-june-july-and-august/

The weather won't change here in the UK until the jetstream shifts and these low and high pressure systems start to move from their current positions.

Notice how in the absence of 'extreme weather' here in the UK, the media is now relentlessly focusing on the weather elsewhere, the way they are carrying on you'd think that the whole of Greece was on fire.

In Poland they left grass long to dry and wait for fire... 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Human10 said:

Yes, it's typical how most of the headlines scream Greece; small print Rhodes. How convenient.

There's so much power; spreading fear, swaying where and when people choose to go on holiday, and also how people feel about so called 'climate change'.

I feel that same head shaking disappointment when I hear someone who I like for other reasons parrot out the money / control climate BS.

"We must do something", "it's already too late."

I heard a musician on the radio say "you like food don't you?!" "This will effect our ability to grow food?! 

How about a discussion on the manipulation of rain and drought. Can't 'we' talk about that for a change seeing how everyone's so keen to talk about the weather in a one sided manner. (I don't mean us 😉)

It's not easy to swallow when you can just clearly see one obsessive hysteria swapped for another.

The climate conversation is dominating just like Brexit, Covid, BLM had their turn, and now gender identity ... and as the agenda pushes ahead there's a bit of the old two steps forward one back? ...

Michael Gove warned on Sunday against making tackling climate change "a religious crusade"

I despise how certain MP's in the club can play the common sence hero, pretending to add common sence to yet another specially created problem, leaving very little time for anything productive. 

On 7/24/2023 at 6:37 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

1) it's cheap

Oh dear. A lad I had in today for exams was supposed to go on holiday tomorrow to Rhodes, but managed to get it changed ... to Turkey. I dare say he won't care - worth it to get out of the rain.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:05 PM, Fifth element said:

But wasn't it 2012 (or possibly 2011) when we had all the bad floods and I had to find creative back ways to get to work because of all the road closures - even the station flooded and it's indoors!

49 minutes ago, k_j_evans said:

But wasn't it 2012 (or possibly 2011) when we had all the bad floods and I had to find creative back ways to get to work because of all the road closures - even the station flooded and it's indoors!

Think it was 2015 or 2016. Everywhere just went underwater.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:37 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

1) it's cheap

The Liverpool Echo is issuing similar warnings about Turkey from the UK government, including earthquake warnings. The weather in Antalya is below 35 degrees for the next 2 weeks, according to the BBC weather. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/turkey-travel-risk-warning-anybody-27395964?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

I noticed the use of the phrase 'the new normal'

I also heard 'this is not normal' 

In Sicily and Rhodes two locals were filmed saying it's not usually this bad, and it just won't stop.

Is that the wind, or a bit of lighter fuel?! Or convenient hysteria?

I can't forget Greta saying the world is on fire (Feb 2020 conveniently)

I haven't spoken to the people I know in Rhodes, but I was glad to catch the deputy mayor on TV adding a little perspective. He said 8000 out of the 220,000 beds on the island are affected. 

On 7/25/2023 at 10:14 PM, k_j_evans said:

Yes 2012 was the wettest for england and wales as a whole..

2007 to 2012...

2013 we finally got a good traditional summer..

1 hour ago, Observations said:

Just saw this newspaper headline

Era of global boiling has arrived and it's terrifying says UN chief. 

I'm always glad when it's the UN, 'cause if I didn't already know it was bullshit ... 

Global Boiling! Hahahahaha! ... Boiling of what? Rock? Metal? Even good old water needs 100°C to BOIL!!! I think wer're a long way from that yet. 🤣

• Like 1