BREAKING NEWS: UK now "hotter than Australia" - media using weather as propaganda

It's interesting how Reach Plc publications are nothing more than endless regurgitators of whatever press releases the Met Office put out.

image.png.e5069d77176695e462683300374405df.png

It actually amuses me that headlines often mention the Met Office 'issuing a warning/verdict' or 'breaking their silence' or even 'announcing exact dates'.

Yeh yeh I know it's just click-bait crap, but with the frequency of these stories being churned out by the desperate Reach bloggers, it seems that the Met Office don't actually stay silent for very long! 😁

The other thing that amuses me is that while Reach journos desperately copy and paste Met Office blogs into their churn of articles, it is important to remember that the BBC dropped the Met Office as their source of weather information a while ago, due to concerns about the reliability of their forecasting.

The Met Office is just the 'weather propaganda' arm of the UK government now, with their incessant fear-mongering and 'warnings' regardless of whether the weather is good or bad. How long before a nice calm and pleasant day has to come with a 'warning' of some kind?

"Moving into Tuesday this week, there is a severe risk of hazy sunshine and a gentle breeze, and a warning that there might be no rain"

If the general propaganda arm of the government distrusts the Met Office, then why should we trust them? And why are so many other media outlets so beholden to them?

• Thanks 1

Was this a freak weather occurrence in Scotland, or was it shared by the rest of the country? 

"Weather record for warmest January set in Scottish Highlands" 

A new UK record high temperature has been set in the Scottish Highlands, according to provisional figures from the Met Office.

It recorded a peak of 19.6C (67.3F) at Kinlochewe on Sunday, making it hotter than Rome and the Cote d'Azur.

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-68119951.amp?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

Edited by Grumpy Grapes

9 hours ago, Grumpy Grapes said:

Was this a freak weather occurrence in Scotland, or was it shared by the rest of the country? 

"Weather record for warmest January set in Scottish Highlands" 

A new UK record high temperature has been set in the Scottish Highlands, according to provisional figures from the Met Office.

It recorded a peak of 19.6C (67.3F) at Kinlochewe on Sunday, making it hotter than Rome and the Cote d'Azur.

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-68119951.amp?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

Thanks, I saw this story too. It wasn't shared by the rest of the country though, and it's not such a 'freak occurrence after all'.

From that article:

The temperature in Kinlochewe was significantly higher than the 18.3C (65F) recorded both at Inchmarlo and Aboyne in Aberdeenshire on 26 January 2003.

The previous record high for the winter months for Scotland, was 18.7C (65.6F) which was recorded in Achfary in Sutherland on 28 December 2018.

And there's an explanation given too:

BBC Scotland forecaster and meteorologist Calum MacColl said the balmy weather was due in part to something known as the Foehn effect.

He explained: "The Foehn effect is where, within a stable atmospheric environment, air is forced to rise up and over the hills and mountains, before descending back towards the surface on the leeward or downwind side of the mountains.

"On the windward side on the mountains, the air is mild and moist, but will cool by around 0.6 degree Celsius per 100m as it rises up the hill side. However, as the air mass then reaches the tops of the hills, it then descends and in doing so will dry out and subsequently warm by 1 degree Celsius per 100m.

"This results in higher temperatures being recorded on the downwind side compared with the windward side on the mountains."

He said southerly winds were also drawing up a very mild air mass across Scotland, leading to unusually warm conditions.

Nice weather if you can get it, for this time of year!

Donald MacLennan, manager of the Kinlochewe Hotel, confirmed it was "really hot outside".

"But I can't see anyone out enjoying it as it's blowing a hoolie," he added.

Oh come on, 19C isn't "really hot", that's got to be an exaggeration.

55 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Thanks, I saw this story too. It wasn't shared by the rest of the country though, and it's not such a 'freak occurrence after all'.

From that article:

And there's an explanation given too:

Nice weather if you can get it, for this time of year!

Oh come on, 19C isn't "really hot", that's got to be an exaggeration.

Dalwhinnie in the Highlands got highs of 10 degrees (27th), 14 degrees (28th), 3 degrees (29th), so the 28th January was a brief peak in the Highlands. 

https://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/dalwhinnie/ph19-1/january-weather/328559

• 3 weeks later...

That was the Fohen effect from a Sly wind..

Can you remember the last time we had a cold snowy february..certainly not for the last few years..

2018..2013 or 2010 or 1996,1994 or now we re getting colder 1991..

February 1986 I remember the second coldest of the 20th century..with 6 weeks of lying snow..starting in late january continued into march..

This february not a single frost pathetic,on course to be the warmest on record currently..

I like the cold and snow...hate this wet and mild all the time,see enough rain in summer..

The Beast from the east was incredible..

Edited by Fifth element

19 hours ago, bamboozooka said:

i was out the other evening and thought it felt mild.

checked the thermometer and it was 15 deg at 8pm

Yep it’s certainly comfortable.

Have you noticed for the past few years it actually gets warmer at night, even though temps dip, it ‘feels’ warmer?

Glad it’s getting colder at the end of the week. Good for sales. Although my feckin trees have started blossoming already. One sharp frost and all the fruit buds will die. Oh well swings and roundabouts, he giveth and he taketh away 

• 2 weeks later...

Scary map alert... because it might be warm towards the end of March!

Weather maps reveal when African plume will bring 'summer-like conditions' to UK

0_march-21.png

An African plume could bring 'summer-like conditions' to the UK this month. Milder weather could be on the horizon as we progress through March.

Jim Dale, a senior meteorologist for British Weather Services, said the UK was entering a 'lull' but there could be a change in conditions towards the end of the month. Before that, there could be rain and snow flurries in some parts of Britain.

The Midlands and south of England are expected to see intermittent rainfall, while parts of the north east could see short and sharp wintry showers. After March 14, there seems to be a more settled period of weather.

This could be down to 'a hot African plume pushing through Portugal and Spain', Express reports. Mr Dale said: "We’re in a bit of a lull at the moment. The 'porridge' is neither too cold nor too hot, with little if anything in the way of snow events.

"There are however longer term signals for notably warmer weather [in the] final third of the month, dependent upon what looks like a hot African plume pushing through Portugal and Spain."

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/weather-maps-reveal-african-plume-28759381

😆

• Thanks 1

Sometimes I like putting stuff on record in this thread, especially when it makes me laugh! Two contrasting stories in todays Birmingham Mail.

First off, with the award for 'misleading clickbait headline of the year':

UK faces -5C snow for final time this winter with one part of England worst-hit

The Met Office and BBC Weather team have spoken out with their verdicts amid reports of a 500-mile wide snow storm set to hit UK in a final flurry of winter. Temperatures are poised to plunge to as low as -5 on Thursday, March 21 in and around the Scottish Highlands to Inverness.

Edinburgh will see lows of -2C and in and around the Pennines will be freezing, too. Snow will hit on March 20 in Scotland as well as Northumberland National Park in England and snow could also hit across March 21 and March 22 too, according to WX Charts, which uses Met Desk data.

Jim Dale, who is a senior meteorologist at British Weather Services, said: “After the mild comes the cold, that’s fair. But again I’m struggling with any meaningful snow. Highlands and the Grampians likely to see something within that period, yes; everywhere else unlikely.”

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/uk-faces-5c-snow-final-28806032

I'm sure our Scottish members such as @Macnamara will be disappointed that the 'Scottish Highlands and Inverness' are considered part of England! 😆

What amuses me though is that Jim "Carry On Forecasting" Dale actually contradicts what the idiots at WX Charts have predicted.

(Still no snow in Birmingham though)

Curiously, our second article of the day also wins the award for "first click-bait mention of heatwave" for 2024:

UK given first heatwave of 2024 update with country 'to be hotter than Spain'

The UK could experience 20C highs soon - as the country is set to bask in temperatures warmer than Madrid and Barcelona. As March progresses, the potential for UK temperatures to put the Spanish capital in the shade increase, weather forecasters have said.

On Netweather's blog, meteorologist Jo Farrow said: "UK temperatures could reach 19 or 20C by Thursday in a warmer southerly flow. There will be rain, particularly in Wales, Northwest England, Southwest Scotland and around the Irish Sea... Other areas will see a mostly dry week, for the rest of England and northeast Scotland."

Forecasters at The Met Office say it will turn milder throughout this week in the UK. The service says it will be warmest in the Southeast of England and London in the coming days as the mercury edges up through the twenties.

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/uk-given-first-heatwave-2024-28806170

From one article to the next, even within the same one, these forecasters all seem to be contradicting each other.

So, is it going to be cold with snow next week, or warm with rain? And how hot actually is it in Spain right now?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Macnamara said:

WHAT???!!!! ****starts sharpening claymore****

I'm with you, Mac. Living 'North of the Wall' we are never included in most of what England does. It boils my p*ss when Manchester and Leeds are classed as Northern England!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Macnamara said:

WHAT???!!!! ****starts sharpening claymore****

Each to there own ,but I wouldn't try to sharpen a claymore it just might go off 😉

Edited by peter
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2024 at 5:30 PM, webtrekker said:

I'm with you, Mac. Living 'North of the Wall' we are never included in most of what England does. It boils my p*ss when Manchester and Leeds are classed as Northern England! 

I don't understand, why aren't Manchester & Leeds (ie Lancashire & Yorkshire) in Northern England? 

2 hours ago, Campion said:

I don't understand, why aren't Manchester & Leeds (ie Lancashire & Yorkshire) in Northern England? 

North of Hadrian's wall is the most Northern part of England. It would have been difficult to spot on those old slanted BBC weather maps that made Scotland look very small. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Campion said:

Ok, you're right. Strictly speaking, Manchester and Leeds ARE officially in the north of England. Here are the official boundary lines for Northern, Central, and Southern England ...

eng_overlay.png.408113b5b74cb16a9fa96f48e1309011.png

Here is a map of the UK ...

eng_map.png.bb3f9acae47349f88f2843dca66d1447.png

Now then, if we superimpose the first image over the second, as I've done here ...

eng_comp.png.ad9221edba5724a051af11ae0b9a991f.png

... you can, in fact, see that Manchester and Leeds do fall in the Northern Region (just!), but it's a bit of a stretch of the imagination to give them so much more importance over the vast area which is TRULY Northern England, as is often done by the news and weather media. That's all I'm ranting about. 🤔

Edited by webtrekker
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 7:11 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

Sometimes I like putting stuff on record in this thread, especially when it makes me laugh! Two contrasting stories in todays Birmingham Mail.

First off, with the award for 'misleading clickbait headline of the year':

UK faces -5C snow for final time this winter with one part of England worst-hit

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/uk-faces-5c-snow-final-28806032

I'm sure our Scottish members such as @Macnamara will be disappointed that the 'Scottish Highlands and Inverness' are considered part of England! 😆

What amuses me though is that Jim "Carry On Forecasting" Dale actually contradicts what the idiots at WX Charts have predicted.

(Still no snow in Birmingham though)

Curiously, our second article of the day also wins the award for "first click-bait mention of heatwave" for 2024:

UK given first heatwave of 2024 update with country 'to be hotter than Spain'

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/uk-given-first-heatwave-2024-28806170

From one article to the next, even within the same one, these forecasters all seem to be contradicting each other.

So, is it going to be cold with snow next week, or warm with rain? And how hot actually is it in Spain right now?

Well, I was in Northumberland from 15-19 March and it was fairly warm and wet. Not a heatwave and definitely not snow. Still warm-ish, but feels cold as very windy. Rain every night. no snow, no heatwave.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear me, the Reach churners have been busy today, but can you spot the odd one out?

UnsavedImage1.png.4f009a92c534ec94447ac64ee1467d3d.png

And guess what? Birmingham isn't one of the 15 town/cities set to be "hammered", neither 'tomorrow morning' or 'on Friday'.

image.png.fde1c820d5145fa1eb5f8a284a346faa.png

And as for a 'heatwave', I suppose the bar is being lowered even further if 15-17C is now being considered as 'baking'...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Dear me, the Reach churners have been busy today, but can you spot the odd one out?

UnsavedImage1.png.4f009a92c534ec94447ac64ee1467d3d.png

And guess what? Birmingham isn't one of the 15 town/cities set to be "hammered", neither 'tomorrow morning' or 'on Friday'.

image.png.fde1c820d5145fa1eb5f8a284a346faa.png

And as for a 'heatwave', I suppose the bar is being lowered even further if 15-17C is now being considered as 'baking'...

This is the crap that killed off local journalism.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

This is the crap that killed off local journalism.

Exactly, like I have said many times before, I don't deny that 'some' parts of the UK might experience snow.

But so far this year, despite the incessant 'updates' and 'verdicts' being published on our local news site, I've counted approximately five minutes of snow we had here in Birmingham, and that was about three or four weeks ago. It just fuckin rains here! 😁 ☔

But then equally, just wait until the temperatures regularly stay above 15C, then all the click-bait churners will be 'warning' us about "heatwaves", as if it never gets warm and sunny in this part of the world from April through to September.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1