Operation Cyanide

D MacMillan

41 minutes ago, D MacMillan said:

Why is the story of Operation Cyanide sidelined?   Are there just too few individuals available to verify the story and put forth the truth?

I've never heard of it to be honest. Perhaps you could start this discussion off by telling us all some more about this? Then it can be moved to a more appropriate discussion area of the forum.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, D MacMillan said:

Why is the story of Operation Cyanide sidelined?   Are there just too few individuals available to verify the story and put forth the truth?

From what I can tell the story of Operation Cyanide is now considered to be the ``USS Liberty INCIDENT``... where the U.S. ship USS Liberty was attacked by Israelis.  34 Americans lost their lives. Israel claimed they were mistaken and attacked in error, later apologizing and making reparations. The paid millions in settlement to the USA and to the families of the dead and to the wounded. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident

However, those on board at the time say it was deliberate. There is a book by Peter Hounam  which claims it was part of ``Operation Cyanide``.

``Hounam reveals that the attack was part of a clandestine plan between the US and Israel known as "Operation Cyanide," designed to ensure victory for Israel in the Middle East. By blaming the attack on the Arab world, retaliation on a grand scale would be justified.

A massive cover-up has endured to this day -- the attack on the Liberty remains the only maritime incident that has not been investigated by Congress.``

https://www.amazon.com/Operation-Cyanide-Bombing-Liberty-Nearly/dp/1904132197

The Israelis clearly did not appreciate Hounans book and the following year ( in an unrelated matter but still focusing on Israeli secret missions): 

``At 9.30pm on 26 May 2004, while working on a BBC documentary about Vanunu, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordechai_Vanunu  was taken from his hotel in Jerusalem by five plainclothes Shin Bet officers, reportedly for having contact with Vanunu, who is not allowed to see foreigners. Before being taken, Hounam was able to inform Amnesty International  of his arrest, but did not get access to a lawyer.``

On 27 May 2004, the Jerusalem District Court imposed a gag order, preventing further details of the arrest from becoming known. Hounam was scheduled to make a court appearance, as the security services request permission from the courts to continue holding him.

Reportedly, on 22 May 2004, Vanunu was secretly interviewed for The Sunday Times, by Yael Lotan, an Israeli journalist. Her two-hour interview was videotaped by an Israeli television crew. Hounam apparently knew of the interview, and was planning to use portions of it in his documentary. He had been on his way to meet Lotan when he was arrested.

Hounam's wife Hilarie Hounam disputed the allegations that her husband violated the conditions placed upon Vanunu's release. Speaking from the family's home in the Scottish town of Aberfeldy she said: "Peter has been absolutely scrupulous in following the letter of the regulations. He hasn't talked to him [Vanunu] since the day of his release, and everything has had to be done second- or third-hand, through his brother and through lawyers." She added: "I think the secret services can pretty much do what they like in Israel, and this is of no surprise to Peter — he's known Israel well for 18 years and has been following Vanunu's case all that time."

Hounam was detained for a day, during which the case attracted intense media coverage, and after which he was released without charge. Israeli Attorney Menachem Mazuz ordered his release, after consulting with Shin Bet officials and representatives of the Israeli Justice Ministry. Hounam returned to the UK on 28 May 2004, and the BBC announced it would broadcast the Vanunu interview the following Sunday.

Edited by Beaujangles

3 hours ago, Beaujangles said:

From what I can tell the story of Operation Cyanide is now considered to be the ``USS Liberty INCIDENT``... where the U.S. ship USS Liberty was attacked by Israelis.  34 Americans lost their lives. Israel claimed they were mistaken and attacked in error, later apologizing and making reparations. The paid millions in settlement to the USA and to the families of the dead and to the wounded. 

Thanks, I have heard of the USS Liberty 'incident' before, but not come across the name 'Operation Cyanide'.

USS Liberty has been mentioned and covered before in this forum.

https://forum.davidicke.com/index.php?/search/&q="uss liberty"&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

Maybe the OP will come back and prove me wrong, but I suspect they are a 'one-post wonder', sent to start off a vague topic but never returning.