Jump to content

Restrict new members posts


kj35
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I'm sure it's been thought about but could we have another think about possibly restricting new members to a new member post for say at least 3 posts? Or even one, which gets reviewed and they're either then released onto main forums or left unable to post until prove they're not a bot or a disrupter? I know a lot will still get through , the more determined but it might cut down the weekend drunk nutjobs

Edited by kj35
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree some will. But it might put off the bulk of the nut jobs. That said it's more work for moderators. 

 

I hadn't posted for a couple of months and when I came back there seemed to be a huge increase.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2021 at 3:48 PM, kj35 said:

the more determined but it might cut down the weekend drunk nutjobs

 

For those obvious spammers/bots I just report them and move on... if the mods feel like they can get by as is then there's no need for change?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

Nah, just let them hang themselves with their own rope eventually.

 

...and they are... there is a group of shall we say ``derailers`` posting at all times. Sometimes the posts could be mistaken for genuine posts...other times its obvious what the goal is.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Beaujangles said:

 

...and they are... there is a group of shall we say ``derailers`` posting at all times. Sometimes the posts could be mistaken for genuine posts...other times its obvious what the goal is.

Report them then as that is against the forum rules and annoying for people new looking for Information. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Beaujangles said:

 

...and they are... there is a group of shall we say ``derailers`` posting at all times. Sometimes the posts could be mistaken for genuine posts...other times its obvious what the goal is.

 

7 hours ago, Fluke said:

Report them then as that is against the forum rules and annoying for people new looking for Information. 

 

PLEASE!

 

We have a huge number of topics and posts here, and us moderators don't get to read through every single one of them. So help us out, and report anything you see here that either breaches the Forum Rules or otherwise looks suspicious, so it can be looked into more closely and action taken (if needed).

 

As old TV presenter Shaw Taylor of 'Police 5' would say...

Shaw Taylor, television presenter - obituary - Telegraph

"Keep 'em peeled!" 🕵️‍♂️

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2021 at 6:43 PM, lifeofbrian said:

This thread sounds like a covid-pass... Like, please let noone infect me with a thought I do not already have in my head...

 

Please.

Exhibit A

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2021 at 6:48 AM, kj35 said:

I'm sure it's been thought about but could we have another think about possibly restricting new members to a new member post for say at least 3 posts? Or even one, which gets reviewed and they're either then released onto main forums or left unable to post until prove they're not a bot or a disrupter?

 

You mean apply strict standards that you yourself were free of?

 

If you are wanting censored posts then why come here?  I'm sure twitter, YouTube, Facebook are more to your liking.

 

You can react by labeling my reply to your draconian nonsense as Exhibit B.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2021 at 2:45 PM, Scogan said:

 

You mean apply strict standards that you yourself were free of?

 

If you are wanting censored posts then why come here?  I'm sure twitter, YouTube, Facebook are more to your liking.

 

You can react by labeling my reply to your draconian nonsense as Exhibit B.  

As you've 29 likes already , you don't count I'm afraid. And I didn't join here to disrupt unlike many of the one post wonders I'm referring to. As you were, high horse is waiting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, kj35 said:

As you've 29 likes already , you don't count I'm afraid. And I didn't join here to disrupt unlike many of the one post wonders I'm referring to. As you were, high horse is waiting.

 

A strange phenomena has trapped a portion of humanity within this thing we call Internet.  Perhaps subconsciously we infer another's place by number of likes, number of friends, number of followers, number of shares that forms a grotesque cyber identity in how we view others.  All tragic to our intellect.  

 

Everything we encounter yields a first impression.  Within a split second we make aesthetic assessments of what is seen, aural reactions to what is heard, tactile reasoning to what is touched, tasted and smelled.  Yet what we read is an entirely different matter based upon writer's prose and reader's perception.  Poetry the most extreme example whereby verse allows for broad interpretation.

 

We all come upon things written we disagree with.  Our highest civil duty is practicing tolerance with how others choose to express themselves.  I cannot tell you how many times I have been called a troll or a Russian bot for simply expressing my opinion on social media.  YouTube banned my channel without explanation; I can only summize it was due to my videos opposing carbon neutrality and left-wing views on climate change, or my steep criticism of Pentagon embracement of the LGBTQxyz culture.  

 

Social media operates in a Public Square of ideas.  When people are forcibly ejected from that square it exacerbates social division; I am in, you are out!  And that has got to stop.  We have a right to ignore those with whom we disagree, including bots, trolls and people that are otherwise too immature to engage in meaningful discussion.  But we do not have a right to Limit speech.  

 

I have thought about this problem of Public Square ejection awhile now.  The opinions of some are being exterminated from public audience by social mobbery.  When our views are no longer in that public square... freedom, liberty, democracy dies and tyranny reigns supreme.

 

Within a landscape of tolerance the life of a troll or of a bot is short lived, for their cries and annoyance are simply overpowered.    

 

That is pretty much how I see it.  

 

 

 

  

Edited by Scogan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Scogan said:

 

A strange phenomena has trapped a portion of humanity within this thing we call Internet.  Perhaps subconsciously we infer another's place by number of likes, number of friends, number of followers, number of shares that forms a grotesque cyber identity in how we view others.  All tragic to our intellect.  

 

Everything we encounter yields a first impression.  Within a split second we make aesthetic assessments of what is seen, aural reactions to what is heard, tactile reasoning to what is touched, tasted and smelled.  Yet what we read is an entirely different matter based upon writer's prose and reader's perception.  Poetry the most extreme example whereby verse allows for broad interpretation.

 

We all come upon things written we disagree with.  Our highest civil duty is practicing tolerance with how others choose to express themselves.  I cannot tell you how many times I have been called a troll or a Russian bot for simply expressing my opinion on social media.  YouTube banned my channel without explanation; I can only summize it was due to my videos opposing carbon neutrality and left-wing views on climate change, or my steep criticism of Pentagon embracement of the LGBTQxyz culture.  

 

Social media operates in a Public Square of ideas.  When people are forcibly ejected from that square it exacerbates social division; I am in, you are out!  And that has got to stop.  We have a right to ignore those with whom we disagree, including bots, trolls and people that are otherwise too immature to engage in meaningful discussion.  But we do not have a right to Limit speech.  

 

I have thought about this problem of Public Square ejection awhile now.  The opinions of some are being exterminated from public audience by social mobbery.  When our views are no longer in that public square... freedom, liberty, democracy dies and tyranny reigns supreme.

 

Within a landscape of tolerance the life of a troll or of a bot is short lived, for their cries and annoyance are simply overpowered.    

 

That is pretty much how I see it.  

 

 

 

  

You may be right. Stick around though and you'll see what I'm referring to is not the posters like yourself but those who come and post once or twice, cause maximum disruption or nonsense or plain weirdness within a thread then disappear off. The moderators know me well enough now to know I wasn't trying to limit free speech but stop the forum being hijacked. No more, no less. 

Edited by kj35
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kj35 said:

You may be right. Stick around though and you'll see what I'm referring to is not the posters like yourself but those who come and post once or twice, cause maximum disruption or nonsense or plain weirdness within a thread then disappear off. The moderators know me well enough now to know I wasn't trying to limit free speech but stop the forum being hijacked. No more, no less. 

like i said "trolls" will do what is needed to satisfy the norm and will move to the agenda....

 

the easiest way to stop this is not to get involved in discussion,just report OT content 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Being a veteran of internet fora from the early 90's i can say that what we are dealing with now on many occasions are not trolls or bots but government funded employees determined to sow discord and also gauge the general 'feeling' of a popular forum.

 

These people have an army of professional head fuckery experts advising them every step of the way....embrace them...its the last thing they expect

 

Maybe its the subject matter but there is an above average amount of paranoia extant within our own ranks as well which does nothing but help ''them'' in their agenda.In the UK the online harms regulations are going to be used to devastating effect in the very near future...make the most of what you have ,there is a concerted effort to make yours/our contributions illegal,censorship at this point would be counter productive

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, kj35 said:

You may be right. Stick around though and you'll see what I'm referring to is not the posters like yourself but those who come and post once or twice, cause maximum disruption or nonsense or plain weirdness within a thread then disappear off. The moderators know me well enough now to know I wasn't trying to limit free speech but stop the forum being hijacked. No more, no less. 

 

 

I have seen the one or two post wonders...but there is a bigger problem where they will hang around and post seemingly innocuous posts, then throw in a derailling post.... and step back. Then you see an apparently `newish` poster come out of nowhere and take over where the other left off.  Then that one leaves...for a while. 

It`s kind of like  covert police surveillance... when one car starts following, then drops out as another swings in....I believe its called ``relay``.  Then there`s the bait and switch...tactic.

 

I notice this because I researched a criminal case for a few years and noticed patterns in appearances, testimonies and behaviours.  I see it on here.

Edited by Beaujangles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, whatthefoxhat said:

Being a veteran of internet fora from the early 90's i can say that what we are dealing with now on many occasions are not trolls or bots but government funded employees determined to sow discord and also gauge the general 'feeling' of a popular forum.

 

17 hours ago, Beaujangles said:

I have seen the one or two post wonders...but there is a bigger problem where they will hang around and post seemingly innocuous posts, then throw in a derailling post.... and step back. Then you see an apparently `newish` poster come out of nowhere and take over where the other left off.  Then that one leaves...for a while. 

It`s kind of like  covert police surveillance... when one car starts following, then drops out as another swings in....I believe its called ``relay``.  Then there`s the bait and switch...tactic.

 

We know what we're looking for, and other members should be aware also. All documented here:

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...