Survival And Bushcraft ...

Coldrum

Ok so i've gone from teetotal to absolute raging moonshiner psshead in the space of 2 weeks using cheap equipment purchased locally,some cheap equipment purchased off the bay of evil and common or garden supermarket items

Ethanol (the good drinking stuff found in all alcoholic drinks and not to be confused with methanol the anti freeze send you blind stuff) can be easily distilled at home

Ethanol can be used for barter,as an antiseptic,as a fuel or drunk to help you sleep !

Anything i quote will be 100% UK related but you can do your own equivalence quite easily

Lets get started

Go to the range or beg borrow or steal a 30 litre plastic brewing drum (cost a tenner in the range and come with lid) now go to sainsburys and buy 5 kilo bags of sugar at £3.50 a bag (get a few 1 kilo as well,makes life easier) now use the interweb engine of choice and find alcotec turbo 48 yeast and alcotec turbo clear you'll need 1 pack of each and if you buy ten packs of each at a time for 40 quid they work out about 2 quid each so 4 quid a wash for yeast and clear

Follow the instructions on the packet of yeast put the lid on the drum(no airlock this isnt home brweing or wine making this stuff is VIOLENT and destroys airlocks),leave it in the house for 48 hrs after which it will have finished frmenting,stir it vigoursly to 'degas' it then pour in part A of the turbo clear,leave for an hour or two then pour in part B but very gently stir this time,leave it 24 hrs and all the gloop will have settled

Now you have the choice either drink your 14% abv sugar wash with either squash or cordial or other flavouring of choice (i mix mine 50/50 with lidl cheap energy drinks in a pint glass) You'll have 25 litres to play with after 72 hours (or if you used 8 kilos of sugar and waited 5 days you'll have approx 20% abv to play with) You can ithe carry on drinking this cheap and cheerful (less than a tenner for 25 litres of 14% abv) OR you can run it through a 3 pot still

Moving on to the still,these can be had on ebay for 54 quid delivered and can with a bit of tweaking be turned into great little 'shine' units,I chose the 3 pot version,but be aware that as they come the 2nd pot is only a slobber box and needs a little tweak with a file n a bit of solder to turn it into a true thumper.This when set up will you about 4-5 litres of extremely high proof alcohol that will need cutting with bottled water (and perhaps a little glycerine to smooth it out) so about 6 litres of 40% ABV from a 25 litr sugar wash,throw away the first 200 ml (thats methanol,chuck it in your cars screen wash bottle and dilute,clears windscreens great and dosnt freeze) and save the last 250 -500ml to put in the thumper on your next run,dilute it to fill the thumper never more than 3/4 full,you can also add flavouring to the thumper ie orange peel or lemon peel.

Now the product you get can be used for internal medicinal purposes and as an aid to sleep,it can be used for barter,can be used as an all round antiseptic,it will light fires and can be used as a fuel

This guy shows the set up well however th middle pot on most of these now has the connections both on th lid,if anyones interested ill throw some pics up of how to turn it into a proper thumper

Shine on

The cheapest activated carbon filter you can possibly get

Requirments

1 empty plastic 2 litre drinks bottle

1 sharp knife

1 drill bit of about 10mm (sharp knife will do it at a push)

PAPER coffee filters

1kg of activated carbon from somewhere like this  https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/news/spirits/activated-carbon-saving-money/

something to stand the drinks bottle in  (pounshops hav glass jars sometimes that fit the bill perfectly)

Cut the bottom of the drinks bottle off,wash it out and sterilise (with sainsburys baby sterilising fluid at a quid a bottle),get the cap and pop a 10mm hole in it,clean off the bits(or cut i t with a knife ),Now get the cap and mark around the outside on th coffee filter,cut around the inside,we want a couple of discs that fit inside the cap and stop the carbon from falling into the jar,get your activated carbon and pour half of it into the plastic bottle  (after putting the cap back on with 2 discs of filter paper in) now pour tepid water in it to get the carbon soaked,keep pouring,you want the black stuff saturated,throw away what collects in the jar and care fully take the cap off and put two new filter discs in,pour your refined spirit,your own pish,swamp water etc through it and enjoy finely filtered liquid,the carbon can be reused by boiling and drying (check online there are destructions aplenty)

Less than a tenner for a super efficient filter

Forgot to add that at first you will get the tepid water coming throughas the filtrate you have added displaces the tepid water,if filtering spirts youl know when it has changed !!,tiny taste off the fingertip,ffs dont start tasting by the shotglass full !!

Edited by whatthefoxhat
moar info

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/27/2021 at 11:45 AM, Macnamara said:

not that i'm aware of but give it time. There have been a few cases in the media in recent years of crossbow deaths so i wouldn't be surprised if we see legislation against them soon

Priti Patel orders review of crossbow laws after armed intruder, 19, who 'wanted to assassinate the Queen' broke in to Windsor Castle

• Teen suspect detained under Mental Health Act after arrest at Windsor Castle
  • Met probing film of crossbow-wielding figure threatening to 'assassinate Queen'
  • Review on crossbow law was ordered in April but will incorporate Windsor scare

By Katie Feehan For Mailonline

Published: 07:26 GMT, 28 December 2021 | Updated: 09:02 GMT, 28 December 2021

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10349353/Priti-Patel-orders-review-crossbow-laws-armed-intruder-broke-Windsor-Castle.html

57 minutes ago, Macnamara said:

Priti Patel orders review of crossbow laws after armed intruder, 19, who 'wanted to assassinate the Queen' broke in to Windsor Castle

• Teen suspect detained under Mental Health Act after arrest at Windsor Castle
  • Met probing film of crossbow-wielding figure threatening to 'assassinate Queen'
  • Review on crossbow law was ordered in April but will incorporate Windsor scare

By Katie Feehan For Mailonline

Published: 07:26 GMT, 28 December 2021 | Updated: 09:02 GMT, 28 December 2021

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10349353/Priti-Patel-orders-review-crossbow-laws-armed-intruder-broke-Windsor-Castle.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 9:56 AM, BossCrow said:

Bushcraft Camp Hygiene Series Part 2- All Natural Bodywash

Improvised antibacterial body wash which can also be used as a mouthwash. Made from boiling up hard wood bark.

The same can be made with teatree or eucalyptus

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

well it's that time again ,every two years the bunya pines produce very large pine cones that are full of nuts,you don't want to be on the receiving end of one of these when they come down from 70 or so feet, this is only a small one about 2 1/2-3 KG.They are labor intensive but well worth it I think, you need to break up the cones remove the nuts boil them till the husk splits and then you can cut them in half and remove the flesh , they can be eaten as is, roasted in garlic and butter or dried and ground to make flour for cakes etc,the bowl holds about 3/4 of what came out of the cone I had already processed some and thought I better take a pic. As you can see I have my work cut out

20220125_055157.jpg

20220125_125706_resized.jpg

20220125_140520_resized.jpg

Edited by peter

• 2 months later...

With survival in mind and alternatives of how to hunt and put meat on the table as they say, I set to and designed these handy tools for my own sport and pleasure, they will also come in handy for self defence puroposes if and whenever needed.

They consist of a multi banded high power tubed slingshot rifles, made from off of the shelf parts and put together to make a formidible tool.

One in the form of an arrow and ball bearing model and the other a very high power multi banded model.

They are powerful enough to go through a half inch wooden board, the arrow version is equally as good as any spear gun on the market.

Both have bipods. red dot sights and military tech torches mounted on picatinny rails.

If anyone is interested in making one for themselves please PM me.

20211023_210845.jpg

20211023_210751.jpg

20211023_210819.jpg

P1030142.JPG

P1030143.JPG

P1030352.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 4:44 AM, whatthefoxhat said:

Spent the last 36 hours looking at ham radio in the UK and have come to the conclusion that this is something that anyone with even the slightest noton of prepping should be looking at (worldwide as well,but presently i can only quote regarding uk seeing as i live in it) as an alternative means of communication and not neccesarily in a true shtf situation.

We have received plenty of hints about threats to establishd communications methods and seen in places such as India/South Africa  sim card restrictions being put in place for the unjabbed so the threats are very real at this present time

I have decided to follow the legal route espcially given that the examinations for HR in the Uk can now be taken online, i'm well aware that the legal route requires full disclosure to the powers that shouldn't be my full details and in times of national emergency i'm also aware that ham radio operators could be first on a hit list of 'people to be watched/scrutinised' (this was definitely the case during ww2 and the cold war)  By going the legal route it opens the hobby  to some amazing people only too pleased to help you and further your own knowledge base,so no bad thing,it also means that i won't be subject to scrutiny as an illegal operator

From my preliminary invstigations the equipment costs from as little as 25 quid for a portable hand held unit,not much bigger than a cigarette packet (hint, how easy would that be to put away somewhere and 'forget' ) which will transmit and receive over short local distances (10km dependent on conditions) and is very very entry level,but still 25 quid is very low to enter any new hobby and no great loss if i decide its not for me.Licensing and documentation to take my foundation exam (bare minimum to operate) possibly another 40-60 quid and after having put myself through a mock exam earlier(with only knowledge gained via ddgo and youtube) can't see any problem with me obtaining the foundation certification whatsoever which would then enable me to move to the intermediate level  and subsequently the full licence holder holder level (levels roughly equates to how much 'power' you can transmit with and distances that will enable you to communicate,thats a very base explanation of it)

There is a ton of fantastic and amazing information available on youtube,so if you think it could be part of your prepping package/backup communication means, have a fish around and don't be put off with the jargonese etc.This could be a very real means of backup communication in times of crisis and up to now not mentioned a great deal but given folks dependence on the ubiquitous phone any sudden outage to established mobile networks effectively silences them,I see ham as a means of retaining my ability to communicate on MY terms not those dictated by governments

as a mischievous teen in the 80s we built our own FM radios to do pirate radio pantec kits if I remember correctly and yes they worked very well only needed a radio receiver to listen which most houses have very easily done, if you wish for community conversations a cobra 148 cb radio swap out the crystal's to improve the distances