Survival And Bushcraft ...

Coldrum

On 6/19/2021 at 1:00 AM, Macnamara said:

In scotland you need a license for any air rifle even if under 12ft/Ibs

You can still paintball though without a license .... Maybe something like a Umarex T4E HDR TR50

Which is limited in the UK to 7.5 joules (elsewhere you can get the 11 joule version) and even at that, it is too strong for many paintball fields .... so is used for target practice unless restricted down to 275 fps from the approx 300 fps.

Of course .... You should NEVER use the rubber 0.50 cal target rounds on the field .... nor ever get the value tuning kit which changes the 7.5 joules to over 20 joules .... as that would be illegal and dangerous!

Also .... NEVER then use half inch (12.7 mm) ball bearings .... as that would be very wrong and only something I heard of in Minecraft!

• Like 1

The above would, of course, be for small game .... how about some fishing?

Again legal in most places .... but not in the UK :(

The Airringer pistol is very interesting but only 2 shots.

Of course .... for .... "fishing"

On 7/6/2021 at 4:02 PM, ink said:

The Airringer pistol is very interesting but only 2 shots.

not sure you could hunt your dinner with that in a shtf situation and just try explaining it to the cops!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I think its time to start downloading useful info to our own storage devices. Ive been doing this for a while. There is so much censorship and stuff being deleted from YT etc I feel it is inevitable that this sort of info will be banned eventually. Ive also been checking and downloading PDF archives of survival/ canning/ cookery/ food preservation/ wild food etc to my disks. You only need a foldable solar panel to charge up a tablet or phone and you can take it with you to forage for reference.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:35 PM, whatthefoxhat said:

Superglue can be used for cuts most effectively and a small tube can be had from the pound/dollar shop and takes up no room (stings a bit but really does work well for even quite deep cuts if suturing isn't an easily available option)

Super glue is brilliant for cuts,I have had a lot of practice over the years

4 minutes ago, peter said:

Super glue is brilliant for cuts,I have had a lot of practice over the years

great tip! I guess it must be similar to the glue they use in operations instead of stitches?

Ive been sharing recipes for things like cheap washing powder, and food preservation on Telegram freedom channels so we can all learn a few skills off of each other.

I have lots of old books in PDF format for this kind of stuff. If anyone would like copies I can post them- or start another thread maybe?

Just read this thread. Very nice ideas given by people.

But I am pondering over the following questions-

What about the women, children, the old and vulnerable? Will they be included in the survival lifestyle? How will they manage this rough life?

Also, as I have seen closely from living in villages (not in the UK), is that this wild, rural, self-sufficient life takes a heavy toll on one's health. It is one thing to go weekend camping with gear and tents and when you have civilisation to return to and it is quite another thing  to go through the toil day in day out.

There will be rapid ageing and wear and tear of the body. How does one survive in the wilderness when physical strength is waning?

And tools we have collected now might need repairs tomorrow? How to make new tools without raw material and parts?

How will the community sense be kept intact so we do not turn on each other? 

And again...where do we leave the women and children and old people?

16 hours ago, m754 said:

Just read this thread. Very nice ideas given by people.

But I am pondering over the following questions-

What about the women, children, the old and vulnerable? Will they be included in the survival lifestyle? How will they manage this rough life?

Also, as I have seen closely from living in villages (not in the UK), is that this wild, rural, self-sufficient life takes a heavy toll on one's health. It is one thing to go weekend camping with gear and tents and when you have civilisation to return to and it is quite another thing  to go through the toil day in day out.

There will be rapid ageing and wear and tear of the body. How does one survive in the wilderness when physical strength is waning?

And tools we have collected now might need repairs tomorrow? How to make new tools without raw material and parts?

How will the community sense be kept intact so we do not turn on each other? 

And again...where do we leave the women and children and old people?

Basically if you don't enjoy the wilds of the countryside well you won't visit it...

And if you don't love the outside world well ,your have little interest in learning about it ...

Lucky for me i love the outside world , and love learning what's growing around me !

Knowledge is power ... 

• Like 1

Not all new 'wild' lifestyles need to be as rough as camping. Children tend to adapt to most scenarios but you have a point with the elderly. However, if we stop viewing them as a burden and more of an information source then maybe we could end up with proper communities. The community Im building will be one where we all have a cabin or other shelter but we all work together to use the land for the benefit of all.  No need to go ful rustic. IMO

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 9:58 PM, RobinJ said:

Not all new 'wild' lifestyles need to be as rough as camping. Children tend to adapt to most scenarios but you have a point with the elderly. However, if we stop viewing them as a burden and more of an information source then maybe we could end up with proper communities. The community Im building will be one where we all have a cabin or other shelter but we all work together to use the land for the benefit of all.  No need to go ful rustic. IMO

People need to be aware that the vast majority of people live in urban areas and in the case of the UK at least don't have access to vast areas of wilderness to go off grid or lose themslves in

Urban survival is higher on the agenda than dreams of your own private fiefdom in the woods and the number one item that should be on peoples agenda is how to deal with the 'human problem' ie those that haven't making a bee line for those that have,that could be a variety of things but food being number one ,folks need to ask themselves how will they deal with neighbours for instance who suddenly find themselves without but know you have been prepping for such an eventuality as food shortages ? will you give to your neighbours gladly expcting nothing inreturn or will you tell them tough luck mate ? and how will you deal with moral questions such as those ?

How do you plan on securing your property/residence in the event that the crap really does hit the fan ?

What plans have you made for transport in the event of breakdown of the public transport system and potential roadblocks and police/military forces manning those check points ?

Australia is a case in point as they are as i'm typing this a gnats whisker away from those exact same situations becoming a reality

I don't have any answers for anyone other than myself and how i personally plan to deal with situations such as those if and when they arise but it is something i have given thought to over the last few months

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 8:46 AM, whatthefoxhat said:

People need to be aware that the vast majority of people live in urban areas and in the case of the UK at least don't have access to vast areas of wilderness to go off grid or lose themslves in

Urban survival is higher on the agenda than dreams of your own private fiefdom in the woods and the number one item that should be on peoples agenda is how to deal with the 'human problem' ie those that haven't making a bee line for those that have,that could be a variety of things but food being number one ,folks need to ask themselves how will they deal with neighbours for instance who suddenly find themselves without but know you have been prepping for such an eventuality as food shortages ? will you give to your neighbours gladly expcting nothing inreturn or will you tell them tough luck mate ? and how will you deal with moral questions such as those ?

How do you plan on securing your property/residence in the event that the crap really does hit the fan ?

What plans have you made for transport in the event of breakdown of the public transport system and potential roadblocks and police/military forces manning those check points ?

Australia is a case in point as they are as i'm typing this a gnats whisker away from those exact same situations becoming a reality

I don't have any answers for anyone other than myself and how i personally plan to deal with situations such as those if and when they arise but it is something i have given thought to over the last few months

All very valid points. If I lived in a city Id still want to get out, cities will be the worst hit for all measures. We could end up in a very dark place trying survive for a few years. It still makes more sense to find your tribe of like minded and try to get organised now as a group before the SHTF. We will all need allies no matter where we end up, this is a combined effort not a singular one, safety and strength in numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 2:46 PM, whatthefoxhat said:

Urban survival is higher on the agenda than dreams of your own private fiefdom in the woods

roof top gardens

window boxes

indoor hydroponics

community gardens (join a local group)

vertical gardens built up walls are a good use of space

maybe get hold of an allotment

turning garden spaces into productive growing areas:

If they are communal then grow stuff in lightweight grow bags that are not a permanent feature. If anyone complains then simply explain ''i'm just growing a batch of tatties (or whatever) in them which i will harvest in ......(such and such time), I will save you some''. If a communal garden isn't being used (and many just sit idle) then who would mind you having a few grow bags out there with some organic compost in? You could even use lightweight collapsible cloches and smallscale cold frames which people might not object to whereas they might object to a greenhouse!

have a compost bin and/or wormery to collect your fruit and veg peels and cores and coffee granules and egg shells etc in to produce quality soil

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 12:26 AM, m754 said:

that's why people have to be networked so that they can find healers or metal workers or carpenters etc.

Regular local markets enable people to swap products as well as goods and services

Our dandelion wine is now out of its demijohn and into bottles so we still have a bit of a wait before we can drink it

The sloes are out now up here and we have some steeping in gin ready for christmas along with plenty of winter veg

Also going to make some sort of medicinal syrup with rosehips but don't want to use sugar. Going to maybe try using honey this year and perhaps mixing in some homegrown raw garlic

On 9/6/2021 at 10:26 AM, Macnamara said:

Also going to make some sort of medicinal syrup with rosehips but don't want to use sugar. Going to maybe try using honey this year and perhaps mixing in some homegrown raw garlic

apparently you can use apple juice concentrate to make rosehip syrup

tried hawthorn ketchup for the first time this weekend (hawthorn is good for the heart)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Macnamara said:

apparently you can use apple juice concentrate to make rosehip syrup

tried hawthorn ketchup for the first time this weekend (hawthorn is good for the heart)

Mac you can use crab apples to bring out all the jucies and provide the necessary pectin 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 12:22 AM, Stephen Truth Seeker said:

This is all talk unless you have survived without  home and regular  wage each week then your not going to understand that all you own you have to carry around with  you everywhere.

I was houseless for ten years , not once did i sleep or beg in shop doorways .....

.... Im from an urban area too , i know folk who lived in local woodlands , personal posessions were stashed in dug outs shored up by scaffold boards , this included all tools to fix any vans other motors that came along .....

Tents in summer , my friend would awake in the morning with fallow deer licking his feet 😁

• Like 2

Spent the last 36 hours looking at ham radio in the UK and have come to the conclusion that this is something that anyone with even the slightest noton of prepping should be looking at (worldwide as well,but presently i can only quote regarding uk seeing as i live in it) as an alternative means of communication and not neccesarily in a true shtf situation.

We have received plenty of hints about threats to establishd communications methods and seen in places such as India/South Africa  sim card restrictions being put in place for the unjabbed so the threats are very real at this present time

I have decided to follow the legal route espcially given that the examinations for HR in the Uk can now be taken online, i'm well aware that the legal route requires full disclosure to the powers that shouldn't be my full details and in times of national emergency i'm also aware that ham radio operators could be first on a hit list of 'people to be watched/scrutinised' (this was definitely the case during ww2 and the cold war)  By going the legal route it opens the hobby  to some amazing people only too pleased to help you and further your own knowledge base,so no bad thing,it also means that i won't be subject to scrutiny as an illegal operator

From my preliminary invstigations the equipment costs from as little as 25 quid for a portable hand held unit,not much bigger than a cigarette packet (hint, how easy would that be to put away somewhere and 'forget' ) which will transmit and receive over short local distances (10km dependent on conditions) and is very very entry level,but still 25 quid is very low to enter any new hobby and no great loss if i decide its not for me.Licensing and documentation to take my foundation exam (bare minimum to operate) possibly another 40-60 quid and after having put myself through a mock exam earlier(with only knowledge gained via ddgo and youtube) can't see any problem with me obtaining the foundation certification whatsoever which would then enable me to move to the intermediate level  and subsequently the full licence holder holder level (levels roughly equates to how much 'power' you can transmit with and distances that will enable you to communicate,thats a very base explanation of it)

There is a ton of fantastic and amazing information available on youtube,so if you think it could be part of your prepping package/backup communication means, have a fish around and don't be put off with the jargonese etc.This could be a very real means of backup communication in times of crisis and up to now not mentioned a great deal but given folks dependence on the ubiquitous phone any sudden outage to established mobile networks effectively silences them,I see ham as a means of retaining my ability to communicate on MY terms not those dictated by governments

I don't know if this has been mentioned but  large clear heavy duty plastic bags are essential if water or lack there of is a problem,by placing the bag over a low hanging limb with plenty foliage and tying the open end of the bag closed around the branch you can gather about a cup of water every 24 hours as the leaves expire ,however you should try a small amount the first time to see if there are any ill effects from that particular tree or shrub 

Edited by peter
  • Like 1