Survival And Bushcraft ...

Coldrum

Over the last year i've had to seriously rethink various very likely scenarios,some perhaps more imminent than others,the stay where you are scenario,the get out fthe area for a while scenario,power outage and web down (and associated knock on inevitabilities) scenario etc and i'm presently stuffing a rucksack for a 72hr get out of the way scenario.This was all brought home to me in 2011 when on a forum i frequented at the time a guy related the story of how he'd been an interested 'prepper' but in the space of a few short hours found he REALLY needed a bug out bag as the Tottenham riots got closer and closer and did actually end up getting the hell out of there.That event exploded in a matter of hours and it was only the weather that saved the police from having to concede they were outnumbered and pulling out to a safe distance.I live on the edge of a medium sized town and dont honestly see something like Tottenham or even the riots of the early 80's occurring here,however i am aware of tensions rising given the current situation and can see various blame games being played by the msm which if fanned sufficiently could give rise to some crap happening

It doesn't help that i am situated bang in the middle of the country and am surrounded by large cities all roughly 25 miles away north south east and west,so if it kicks off there its another inconvenience to get past

But all is good and in the words of Gloria Gaynor 'i will survive' (todays head worm,you can hear it now can't you)

12 minutes ago, Pina Colada said:

I was looking at those recently ,i first heard about them on the Big Clive youtube channel ,although i dont use alcohol it has medicinal and barter properties,i did have what was purported to be full instructions on distilling written in the 70's by the government and circulated surrepticiously amongst the expat community in the likes of Saudi,i think its still available online and is called 'the blue flame'

Another  handy tip for alcohol for medicinal use is large bottles of Listerine original,its got the equivalent of a bottle of vodka in it (don;t ask me how i know,but once you get past the burning menthol taste it'll put you on your arse just as quick) good for use as an antiseptic,sanitiser for surfaces,hands etc and no doubt it could be redistilled in one of the home stills !!

4 minutes ago, whatthefoxhat said:

I was looking at those recently ,i first heard about them on the Big Clive youtube channel ,although i dont use alcohol it has medicinal and barter properties,i did have what was purported to be full instructions on distilling written in the 70's by the government and circulated surrepticiously amongst the expat community in the likes of Saudi,i think its still available online and is called 'the blue flame'

Another  handy tip for alcohol for medicinal use is large bottles of Listerine original,its got the equivalent of a bottle of vodka in it (don;t ask me how i know,but once you get past the burning menthol taste it'll put you on your arse just as quick) good for use as an antiseptic,sanitiser for surfaces,hands etc and no doubt it could be redistilled in one of the home stills !!

Yes, it could distil plants for medicine as well as moonshine, and clean water too. Lol re gov instructions!!!

Listerine, lol, I guess some people probably do drink it, and good idea it could be used to sanitise in general.

Disinfectant is cheap, I need to stock up again.

I decided bleach is the best, as it is more effective and even cheaper.

17 minutes ago, whatthefoxhat said:

Over the last year i've had to seriously rethink various very likely scenarios,some perhaps more imminent than others,the stay where you are scenario,the get out fthe area for a while scenario,power outage and web down (and associated knock on inevitabilities) scenario etc and i'm presently stuffing a rucksack for a 72hr get out of the way scenario.This was all brought home to me in 2011 when on a forum i frequented at the time a guy related the story of how he'd been an interested 'prepper' but in the space of a few short hours found he REALLY needed a bug out bag as the Tottenham riots got closer and closer and did actually end up getting the hell out of there.That event exploded in a matter of hours and it was only the weather that saved the police from having to concede they were outnumbered and pulling out to a safe distance.I live on the edge of a medium sized town and dont honestly see something like Tottenham or even the riots of the early 80's occurring here,however i am aware of tensions rising given the current situation and can see various blame games being played by the msm which if fanned sufficiently could give rise to some crap happening

It doesn't help that i am situated bang in the middle of the country and am surrounded by large cities all roughly 25 miles away north south east and west,so if it kicks off there its another inconvenience to get past

But all is good and in the words of Gloria Gaynor 'i will survive' (todays head worm,you can hear it now can't you)

Yes it could be anything anytime at he moment!!!

Probably safer to stay put unless absolutely necessary. Countryside safer. Wish I had a camper van!

We have BOB's but only for 2 days. I faff around so much before we go anywhere so maybe a good idea to add another day's supply.

26 minutes ago, Pina Colada said:

Yes, it could distil plants for medicine as well as moonshine, and clean water too. Lol re gov instructions!!!

Listerine, lol, I guess some people probably do drink it, and good idea it could be used to sanitise in general.

Disinfectant is cheap, I need to stock up again.

I decided bleach is the best, as it is more effective and even cheaper.

In another life before going to work we used to get searched for contraband,alcohol,drugs etc but they never batted an eyelid at two big bottle of mouthwash,orange juice and listerine makes for a relaxing cocktail after a hard days graft on north sea rigs,or did,they got wise to it in the end !

I did a mushroom picking course in the lake district years ago and it was useful experience.

We camped out in the forest and took a walk around the area picking out plants to use in a forest salad. We were shown lots of mushrooms too but the impression i came away with was that there are so many deadly mushrooms that unless you really know what you are doing you are safer buying them! However there are 5 mushrooms that are easy to identify and are hard to confuse with more deadly types so they are defo worth foraging. We skinned squirrels, spatchcocked pigeons and backed bread on a fire. Taste-wise there was a bit of a cheat as we threw bacon into everything which is obviously not faraged food although in a shtf situation wild boar could be on the menu!

How much foraging would there be to be had though if 70 million people suddenly started picking the countryside lean in the event of a breakdown of the food supply (we saw during the polar vortex just how quickly the shop shelves can empty).

A long lasting food stash therefore could be a good idea. It depends how long you think a crisis would last for how much rationed goods you want to have. Would a disruption to global trade through something like cyber polygon create a crisis that might last months or are we heading for something deeper than that? Hard to say the exact nature of the crisis. For this reason it might be best trying to build a few options:

-foraging

-growing your own

-stored supply

Edited by Macnamara

56 minutes ago, Macnamara said:

I did a mushroom picking course in the lake district years ago and it was useful experience.

We camped out in the forest and took a walk around the area picking out plants to use in a forest salad. We were shown lots of mushrooms too but the impression i came away with was that there are so many deadly mushrooms that unless you really know what you are doing you are safer buying them! However there are 5 mushrooms that are easy to identify and are hard to confuse with more deadly types so they are defo worth foraging. We skinned squirrels, spatchcocked pigeons and backed bread on a fire. Taste-wise there was a bit of a cheat as we threw bacon into everything which is obviously not faraged food although in a shtf situation wild boar could be on the menu!

How much foraging would there be to be had though if 70 million people suddenly started picking the countryside lean in the event of a breakdown of the food supply (we saw during the polar vortex just how quickly the shop shelves can empty).

A long lasting food stash therefore could be a good idea. It depends how long you think a crisis would last for how much rationed goods you want to have. Would a disruption to global trade through something like cyber polygon create a crisis that might last months or are we heading for something deeper than that? Hard to say the exact nature of the crisis. For this reason it might be best trying to build a few options:

-foraging

-growing your own

-stored supply

i've always regarded fungi as nutritionally insignificant (as well as having a distinct aversion to them as a whole from years of abusing one type in my youth ,psilocybe semilanceata!), Admittedly field mushrooms are pretty easy to identify but i wouldn't consider them as something i would go looking for,presently im packing for a 72 hr outage based on get out of the way for a bit should things suddenly change,and i'm lucky in that i have no real reason to stay at home should that happen and realise others don't have my mindset or ability to move at a moments notice.from the reading i've done of disaster situations it can take up to 72 hrs for emergency relief to organise,how much relief would be forthcoming is another question but if the threat of colds and sniffles can empty supermarkets i think we are on a knife edge,If theres one thing i have learnt its this 'don't tell a soul' about your emergency stash of whatever,come judgement day the ones who have not will be seeking you out as a first port of call .the human factor is going ot be the most difficult ot deal with,and a good mockumentary to watch is 'Blackout' the fictional power outage the UK suffers and the destabilisation of society that happens during it,given our current situation its well worth a watch to get your mind thinking in relation to what and where you are storing things but more importantly how you are going to protect them

8 hours ago, Macnamara said:

wild boar could be on the menu!

-foraging

-growing your own

-stored supply

I expect most wouldn't forage as they have no clue what foraging is, i'm actually shocked at how many people can't cook as well. My guess is a couple million at the maximum would be out picking things seriously, most would turn to fishing and hunting pigeons. 

I've heard about wild boar in the forest of dean but there's only a couple thousand in the country as a whole, illegally released or escaped. 

Best thing to store is white rice, hard grains and dried beans. White rice can go 25+ years if kept in the right conditions. 

Also get yourself a gas ram pellet gun or a slingshot with loads of extra ammo and bands.

Edited by The Old Knight

3 hours ago, The Old Knight said:

I've heard about wild boar in the forest of dean but there's only a couple thousand in the country as a whole, illegally released or escaped. 

They are spreading

But another option is roadkill. For example when you see a dead deer by the road, just having a check of it and assessing if it is fresh and then the meat can be used. Once I get my garden sorted i will butcher and joint a roadkill deer. It's free, it's organic, it's lean meat and it was killed by accident.

Best thing to store is white rice, hard grains and dried beans. White rice can go 25+ years if kept in the right conditions. 

Makes sense

Also get yourself a gas ram pellet gun or a slingshot with loads of extra ammo and bands.

slingshots are not particularly accurate (i grew up in the countryside larking about with them as a boy) and airguns require licences. My bet is that the reason they started the licence scheme is so that they can impound all guns when the permanent lockdown society is instituted

• Like 1

Roadkill deer sounds good to me and you can get an air rifle without a firearms license 12 ft/lbs being the limit. Using a .177 will keep the fps up. 

In scotland you need a license for any air rifle even if under 12ft/Ibs. We used to shoot them all the time as kids so the idea that you need a license for one just seems totally daft but there you go that's the SNP nanny state in action. They will keep pushing into every aspect of peoples lives because that is what they are all about

.177 is generally for birds and .22 for rabbits

Catapults can be deadly accurate you just need practice.

Sure but will you get a clean kill everytime or is it just stunning the animal? So its a good survival option where you NEED to eat but i'm not convinced its a good option for general hunting

hitting that rat was impressive. They don't stay still for long at a time

• Like 1

I'm presently looking for a solar battery charger that will work with 18650 lithium rechargables (and possibly other size lith rechargables as well),phone batteries and a laptop battery or two via usb c (or direct @12v 2.0a)

anybody have any recommendations or experience of such a beastie?

On 6/19/2021 at 1:00 AM, Macnamara said:

In scotland you need a license for any air rifle even if under 12ft/Ibs. We used to shoot them all the time as kids so the idea that you need a license for one just seems totally daft but there you go that's the SNP nanny state in action. They will keep pushing into every aspect of peoples lives because that is what they are all about

Sure but will you get a clean kill everytime or is it just stunning the animal? So its a good survival option where you NEED to eat but i'm not convinced its a good option for general hunting

Qb78 co2 can be ideal for hunting ,can be run for peanuts from out of date co2 fire extinguishers ,take capsules or can be adapted to takethe smaller bottles again filled from extinguishers,can be had dirt cheap ,need only a few seals and some silicon grease for lifetime maintenance and are accurate,they can also be customised ,and are very light

On 6/19/2021 at 1:00 AM, Macnamara said:

Are crossbows restricted in Scotland Mac ?

On 6/18/2021 at 9:17 PM, Macnamara said:

They are spreading

But another option is roadkill. For example when you see a dead deer by the road, just having a check of it and assessing if it is fresh and then the meat can be used. Once I get my garden sorted i will butcher and joint a roadkill deer. It's free, it's organic, it's lean meat and it was killed by accident.

Makes sense

slingshots are not particularly accurate (i grew up in the countryside larking about with them as a boy) and airguns require licences. My bet is that the reason they started the licence scheme is so that they can impound all guns when the permanent lockdown society is instituted

Thats a definte,i fully expect to see a total surrender of firearms/airguns in my lifetime mandated by government,they are already well underway with abolishing  all shooting sports by deeming lead to be bad for the environment subsequently ALL lead ammo will be banned (including pellets for airguns),forget the wetlands issue being spouted and the fact it will only impact shotgun ammo,It's everything as per one world government plan,Totally unarmed populations and penalties including death for infarctions

9 hours ago, whatthefoxhat said:

Qb78 co2 can be ideal for hunting

what the heck is that?

9 hours ago, whatthefoxhat said:

Are crossbows restricted in Scotland Mac ?

not that i'm aware of but give it time. There have been a few cases in the media in recent years of crossbow deaths so i wouldn't be surprised if we see legislation against them soon

If I was going to go down that route I'd get myself a nice longbow though and take up archery as a sport. There are some beautiful bows on the market but not sure how easy it would be to hunt with one. I guess like all things it depends on the skill of the person handling the bow

The people who ran the mushroom picking course i did also ran a course teaching people to make a primitive bow which could be quite fun

22 minutes ago, Macnamara said:

If I was going to go down that route I'd get myself a nice longbow though and take up archery as a sport. There are some beautiful bows on the market but not sure how easy it would be to hunt with one.

l dabble with Archery. l have 3 bows. 1 compound and 2 'take down - re-curves'. Longbows are / can / should be very powerful. lnitialy designed for warfare. Takes a very long time to build up to the strength to use a proper long bow.
20 pound bow strength is a beginner level, building up to 50 / 60 pounds for seasoned archers.
Practice, practice and practice....just like anything.
There are specific heads / tips which are for sport or hunting. Most hunting tips are illegal in the UK. You would need to source them from EU counties that allow them. Germany being the first that comes to  mind.
BC

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Basket Case said:

l dabble with Archery. l have 3 bows. 1 compound and 2 'take down - re-curves'. Longbows are / can / should be very powerful. lnitialy designed for warfare. Takes a very long time to build up to the strength to use a proper long bow.

yeah the archaeologists are able to tell from a persons skeleton if they were an archer. They had different muscalature and connective tissue. They also often had damage to their teeth where they ran the bow feathers through their mouth before taking the shot

The enemy often gave no quarter to archers because of their effectiveness at range in the same way that machine gunners often weren't spared in the trenches if captured.

I guess an english longbow is fun for archery but perhaps a smaller recurve might be better for more intuitive closer range useage? (thinking of mongol horsemen shooting at the gallop)

Edited by Macnamara

1 minute ago, Macnamara said:

I guess an english longbow is fun for archery but perhaps a smaller recurve might be better for more intuitive closer range useage?

Yep, totally.
There are a lot of hunting archery channels on yewtube, mainly from USA that test and try all the available arrow tips and their effectiveness. The best are like circular razor blades. The object being to make the biggest / deepest hole which causes the fastest method of 'bleeding out'. Fast bleeding = quick death and easy to track.

4 minutes ago, Basket Case said:

The best are like circular razor blades.

unless you are hunting a robot of course in which case a 'bodkin' armour piercing head might be better:

b2f15a4a26ff1506b616b53216347047.jpg

Edited by Macnamara

4 minutes ago, Macnamara said:

unless you are hunting a robot of course in which case an armour piercing head might be better:

b2f15a4a26ff1506b616b53216347047.jpg

There is that too.
Robot tech is frightening.

And now freely on display..  :O(