Survival And Bushcraft ...

Coldrum

53 minutes ago, whatthefoxhat said:

I'd quite like some lettuce opium as an after dinner treat but i have yet to find it in the wild where i live ! (i don't use alcohol but one has to have at least several vices !)

Have heard it's meant to be very soporific, like da erb. Peter Rabbit fell asleep after eating Mr McGregor's lettuces!! I didn't know it was called opium lettuce.

https://www.primalsurvivor.net/wild-lettuce/

12 minutes ago, Pina Colada said:

Have heard it's meant to be very soporific, like da erb. Peter Rabbit fell asleep after eating Mr McGregor's lettuces!! I didn't know it was called opium lettuce.

https://www.primalsurvivor.net/wild-lettuce/

I have a garden with lots of somniferum growing and very pretty they are too multiple colours and heights and many uses if one was so inclined,cough, wish i still had my books on herbage etc but they are in long term storage now so internet it is,might go a foraging later to find some of this elusive peter rabbit lettuce!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, whatthefoxhat said:

I have a garden with lots of somniferum growing and very pretty they are too multiple colours and heights and many uses if one was so inclined,cough, wish i still had my books on herbage etc but they are in long term storage now so internet it is,might go a foraging later to find some of this elusive peter rabbit lettuce!

Hope you find some!!!

https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/148/peter-rabbit-and-other-stories/4929/the-tale-of-the-flopsy-bunnies/

https://www.wildfooduk.com/edible-wild-plants/wild-lettuce/

7 hours ago, Pina Colada said:

Sounds intriguing, do you have a recipe please?

about 2.5 cups of dandelion petals (no green bits ie stem and the bit around the base of the flower)

450 grammes of jam sugar

steep the petals in boiling water until the water is cool.

strain the liquid to get rid of the petals

add that liquid to the sugar

reduce the mixture until to setting point

you can save some petals to stir into the jam too

Tastes a little like honey

• Like 1

9 hours ago, whatthefoxhat said:

Difficult in the UK to say the least,however there are remedies to that,garden sheds are full of interesting items,Taking up archery as a competitive sport  skys the limit of your imagination

and on the subject of preparedness first aid etc menthol crystals can be a bonus

Actually, thinking about it, we don't need anything elaborate to fight back. I mean, the entire Swiss Army only have those little red multi-function pocket knives and they seem to do ok! 😀

2 minutes ago, webtrekker said:

Actually, thinking about it, we don't need anything elaborate to fight back. I mean, the entire Swiss Army only have those little red multi-function pocket knives and they seem to do ok! 😀

But each adult has an assault rifle that fits on to the SAK as an accessory ! i'm not sure that option is available in the UK ;-)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pina Colada said:

I remember reading all the Peter rabbit stories to my daughter when she was small,had the full collection of books AND look what i found,prickly wild lettuce,note the prickles on the leaf edges and the single large tap root and its in perfect condition just prior to flowering,didn't have to go far its growing in abundance at the back of my greenhouse amongst the wild coriander !

DSC07144.JPG

DSC07147.JPG

DSC07148.JPG

DSC07150.JPG

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, whatthefoxhat said:

I remember reading all the Peter rabbit stories to my daughter when she was small,had the full collection of books AND look what i found,prickly wild lettuce,note the prickles on the leaf edges and the single large tap root and its in perfect condition just prior to flowering,didn't have to go far its growing in abundance at the back of my greenhouse amongst the wild coriander !

DSC07144.JPG

DSC07147.JPG

DSC07148.JPG

DSC07150.JPG

Wow, amazing!!! I'm going to look out for some now!!! Thanks for the pictures, and the details. 

Great pictures btw!!!  😍

Can you eat the roots as well? I guess not. Hope the leaves are tasty!!

I love coriander, grew some from seed this year funnily enough, didn't have a clue that it grows wild !!!!!

1 hour ago, Macnamara said:

about 2.5 cups of dandelion petals (no green bits ie stem and the bit around the base of the flower)

450 grammes of jam sugar

steep the petals in boiling water until the water is cool.

strain the liquid to get rid of the petals

add that liquid to the sugar

reduce the mixture until to setting point

you can save some petals to stir into the jam too

Tastes a little like honey

Thank you, sounds like a project!!! Am going to write this down and try it, I'll let you know!! 🌻

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pina Colada said:

Wow, amazing!!! I'm going to look out for some now!!! Thanks for the pictures, and the details. 

Great pictures btw!!!  😍

Can you eat the roots as well? I guess not. Hope the leaves are tasty!!

I love coriander, grew some from seed this year funnily enough, didn't have a clue that it grows wild !!!!!

Its bitter bitter BITTER ,better dryi ng the leaves and making an infusion two or 3 leaves dried n crushed steeped in boiling water for 10 mins,add honey to sweeten,helps relaxation and sleep,the wild coriander came from a packet of unidentified seeds i had which i think were originally branded wild meadow or some such title,just scattered them a couple of years ago around the greenhouse and left them,this year is the first year i have left my garden totally to nature ,i take a machette to the taller grasses now and again but thats it,everything is self seeded ,i also found potatoes growing today which i didn't know were there and lots of lovely black,swiss flag ,purple and white papaver coming along nicely also all self seeded from a couple of years ago,Basically im the worlds laziest gardener (i do have reasons for not bothering with it other than laziness  !)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, whatthefoxhat said:

Its bitter bitter BITTER ,better dryi ng the leaves and making an infusion two or 3 leaves dried n crushed steeped in boiling water for 10 mins,add honey to sweeten,helps relaxation and sleep,the wild coriander came from a packet of unidentified seeds i had which i think were originally branded wild meadow or some such title,just scattered them a couple of years ago around the greenhouse and left them,this year is the first year i have left my garden totally to nature ,i take a machette to the taller grasses now and again but thats it,everything is self seeded ,i also found potatoes growing today which i didn't know were there and lots of lovely black,swiss flag ,purple and white papaver coming along nicely also all self seeded from a couple of years ago,Basically im the worlds laziest gardener (i do have reasons for not bothering with it other than laziness  !)

Wow, wild in every sense!!!! Kids would love exploring that space!!!!!! Are the potatoes edible?

28 minutes ago, whatthefoxhat said:

So it would be good to have the dried leaves in a jar, to use as a tea before bed. 

Ditto lemon balm leaves dried, good for stress.

What is papaver?

13 hours ago, whatthefoxhat said:

I'd quite like some lettuce opium as an after dinner treat but i have yet to find it in the wild where i live ! (i don't use alcohol but one has to have at least several vices !)

natures bounty :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pina Colada said:

So it would be good to have the dried leaves in a jar, to use as a tea before bed. 

Ditto lemon balm leaves dried, good for stress.

What is papaver?

Papaver is poppy,papaver somniferum is commonly known as the opium poppy,papaver rhoeas is the corn poppy (the ww1 haig fund symbol)

I was looking at citronella oil earlier initially as an insect repellant but it has a multitude of uses

https://www.indigo-herbs.co.uk/natural-health-guide/benefits/citronella

Your bedtime drink regime will leave you so chilled i fear you may find yourself tinkling ice cubes ;-)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pina Colada said:

Wow, wild in every sense!!!! Kids would love exploring that space!!!!!! Are the potatoes edible?

I've yet to actually dig any up as i'm not a huge fan of potatoes,,however its nice to know that they are there and as Mac said above 'natures bounty'

i'm lucky at the moment in that i've got a large river not far from the bottom of my garden and thres a footbridge over to a large island between two channels and theres loads of foraging and woodland there great in the summer and great for kids,if only people would realise whats there and educate there kids a bit more trouble is the electronic babysitter is ubiquitous now and so much easier for them to use rather than teaching an appreciation of whats on their doorstep

• Like 1

5 hours ago, whatthefoxhat said:

I've yet to actually dig any up as i'm not a huge fan of potatoes,,however its nice to know that they are there and as Mac said above 'natures bounty'

i'm lucky at the moment in that i've got a large river not far from the bottom of my garden and thres a footbridge over to a large island between two channels and theres loads of foraging and woodland there great in the summer and great for kids,if only people would realise whats there and educate there kids a bit more trouble is the electronic babysitter is ubiquitous now and so much easier for them to use rather than teaching an appreciation of whats on their doorstep

Yes, kids love wilderness.

Lucky to have a river, I made salmon for tea last night and thought how great it would be to fish for trout.

Great lockdown activity and SHTF. Not that I have the first clue about how to fish.

Supermarkets don't sell whole rainbow trout anymore, well not round here, I guess people weren't buying it.

9 minutes ago, Pina Colada said:

Yes, kids love wilderness.

Lucky to have a river, I made salmon for tea last night and thought how great it would be to fish for trout.

Great lockdown activity and SHTF. Not that I have the first clue about how to fish.

Supermarkets don't sell whole rainbow trout anymore, well not round here, I guess people weren't buying it.

People are too squeamish ,it's the eyes you know ,sensitive folk hate having those cold dead fish eyes looking at them :-).The River where i am used to be so polluted with thermal pollution from power stations that the fishing really was bad (we used to swim in the river in winter when they released the hot waters from the cooling processes when we were kids) but since the majority of the power stations have gone now the river has cleansed itself and there are reports of salmon reappearing further downstream,but about a mile away is the confluence of two rivers the trent and the Dove and the dove has always been the cleanest of the two and that does have trout in which i've already marked as a protein source for future 'hiccups' ,lots of gravel pits round here that are full of water now with plenty of freshwater fish and some hella big pike,tried it years ago and it wasn't good but then again it was cooked over a camp fire and burnt to buggery,i've heard its good cooked with wood sorrel

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, whatthefoxhat said:

People are too squeamish ,it's the eyes you know ,sensitive folk hate having those cold dead fish eyes looking at them :-).The River where i am used to be so polluted with thermal pollution from power stations that the fishing really was bad (we used to swim in the river in winter when they released the hot waters from the cooling processes when we were kids) but since the majority of the power stations have gone now the river has cleansed itself and there are reports of salmon reappearing further downstream,but about a mile away is the confluence of two rivers the trent and the Dove and the dove has always been the cleanest of the two and that does have trout in which i've already marked as a protein source for future 'hiccups' ,lots of gravel pits round here that are full of water now with plenty of freshwater fish and some hella big pike,tried it years ago and it wasn't good but then again it was cooked over a camp fire and burnt to buggery,i've heard its good cooked with wood sorrel

Sounds like lots of options for food. 👍

Yes, the eyes!!! Especially when cooked!! All white and freaky. But great done in foil on the barbie.

Just now, Pina Colada said:

Sounds like lots of options for food. 👍

Yes, the eyes!!! Especially when cooked!! All white and freaky. But great done in foil on the barbie.

Or in the absence of a barbie double wrapped in foil and stuck on the engine while you tootle around driving in your car

13 minutes ago, whatthefoxhat said:

Or in the absence of a barbie double wrapped in foil and stuck on the engine while you tootle around driving in your car

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Distiller-Alcohol-Moonshine-Spirits-Brewing/dp/B0161UZS6I/ref=pb_allspark_dp_session_sims_pao_desktop_4/257-2856413-1522834?pd_rd_

I thought this looked good for self-sufficiency too!!!!