Forum Backup Archives

@mods

Can we download the backups and save for future ?

5 minutes ago, DarianF said:

Multiple archives better than one I guess. It's easier for the enemy to attack a single, centralized archive than thousands of private ones.

Edited by shabbirss
36 minutes ago, shabbirss said:

@mods

Can we download the backups and save for future ?

Multiple archives better than one I guess. It's easier for the enemy to attack a single, centralized archive than thousands of private ones.

For obvious data protection reasons - including collection of and use of personal information - forum database backups will not be available for regular members to download, save and use.

I trust that the admins and webmaster are keeping regular backups of this forum somewhere in the event of any 'major incident'.

Posted (edited)

ah ok..
would it possible to zip the front end articles up tho?

im sure that wud be safe dl'd by regular members - if possible in the first place

Edited by shabbirss
20 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

For obvious data protection reasons - including collection of and use of personal information - forum database backups will not be available for regular members to download, save and use.

I trust that the admins and webmaster are keeping regular backups of this forum somewhere in the event of any 'major incident'.

Owl, forgive my ignorance, but if they are publicly available forums anyway, what would be the problem with just saving the publicly viewable info? I mean it's already public.

Just now, metak88 said:

Most likely private messages that are also part of the backup?

Wouldn't there be a way to eliminate the private stuff and just save the public stuff?

12 minutes ago, DarianF said:

Owl, forgive my ignorance, but if they are publicly available forums anyway, what would be the problem with just saving the publicly viewable info? I mean it's already public.

10 minutes ago, metak88 said:

Most likely user names, passwords, emails, private messages that are also part of the backup?

That is correct.

10 minutes ago, DarianF said:

Wouldn't there be a way to eliminate the private stuff and just save the public stuff?

Not really, not without a lot of additional work.

The forum software acts as a 'front-end', sitting in a file-system on a webserver.

All the users, posts, topics, messages etc are organised in the database into tables and objects (fields and values). These objects are linked together to give the forum 'structure'. The database on its own is practically unusable without the forum software, unless you're really technically minded (or a hacker!) 😉

On 3/14/2021 at 4:40 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

There is more and more noise about cyber attacks so i'm fully expecting some sort of 911 scale catastrophe involving disruption to the internet at some point

Thousands of posts have been wiped off this forum and the last forum so I see it as a matter of time before the same thing happens again

• Like 1