The dematerialized office can help enterprises prepare for the “next normal”

Poul Nelb

Hologram-min.jpg

According to an Ericsson report, more than six in 10 employees say their companies have become more positive about remote working during the pandemic.

Leaders now need to consider how the “dematerialized enterprise” is the future of work, and the role technologies like mobile broadband, cloud computing, artificial intelligence (AI), and even virtual reality (VR) will play over the next decade.

In fact, by 2030, 43% of enterprise decision-makers strongly believe the office as we know it will cease to exist, and all workers will be remote.

Thin clients, computers that run from resources stored on a central server instead of a localized hard drive, coupled with cloud services, will enable this.

Better connectivity through the low latency and high data speeds of 5G will enable new tools.

https://infokeltai.lt/the-dematerialized-office/

9 hours ago, Poul Nelb said:

Thin clients, computers that run from resources stored on a central server instead of a localized hard drive, coupled with cloud services, will enable this.

Better connectivity through the low latency and high data speeds of 5G will enable new tools.

Long before I ever got into conspiracies, I predicted this was going to happen. Probably round about the time that Google first introduced their Chromebook and ChromiumOS.

In fact, in 2008 I joined a company that did this to an extent - all the computers in our branch were thin client 'dumb terminals' with no local storage, connected to a central application server at head office which gave us a 'virtual desktop'. With a network of 180 branches, the advantage was that it made application deployment and system updates much more straight-forward and manageable.

With the rise in cloud storage services, such as Dropbox and Google Drive, I then predicted it was only a matter of time before PCs became redundant, as we know them, and replaced with simple low power devices that did little but connect to a cloud-based operating system with virtual desktop. With secure web-based login, you could theoretically use any such device anywhere to access 'your' computer, your desktop, your saved files and your apps and programs. So for example you would have one of these devices at home for your own use, which any visitor or guest could also use as if it were 'their' computer. And likewise, you'd have these devices in internet cafes, libraries or other public places, so anyone could have access to 'their' computer anywhere.

Its one of those great utopian ideas that has its downsides though, namely that with all your apps and data being 'cloud-based', the potential for snooping and tracking is far greater, and the risk of having files 'of a sensitive nature' being deleted for breaking some T&Cs etc.

9 hours ago, Poul Nelb said:

In fact, by 2030, 43% of enterprise decision-makers strongly believe the office as we know it will cease to exist, and all workers will be remote.

The year is significant, as it links in with Agenda 2030. This is the idea though, why have a centralised office that your employees have to commute to (generating CO2 emissions in the process) and costs money to run (rent, electricity, services etc) when your employees can just work from their home?

The other aspect with regards to remote home working - which often gets overlooked in my opinion - is the idea of 'working time'. The traditional "9 to 5" mentality has already been eroded away by employees having access to (and responding to) emails outside of 'work time'.

I'm quite in favour of the idea of 'flexi-time' to be honest, where working hours become flexible around other pressing needs, the 'school run' for example.

But what I urge people to be mindful of, is the expectation that if workers are at home in a more comfortable environment, and not having to worry about commuting times etc, they may inadvertently find themselves working longer hours almost unintentionally. Or even find themselves working on their 'days off'.

55 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

But what I urge people to be mindful of, is the expectation that if workers are at home in a more comfortable environment, and not having to worry about commuting times etc, they may inadvertently find themselves working longer hours almost unintentionally. Or even find themselves working on their 'days off'.

Or one day they get an email from their boss saying that they are being laid off and they find out that all that time they were working remotely, artificial intelligence was monitoring them, studying them, imitating them, learning from them and finally replacing them altogether

10 hours ago, Poul Nelb said:

The clould can be accessed by anyone with the know-how which means that everything you put on it can be watched and stolen

5G microwave frequencies are harmful which is why industry has avoided carrying out any health and safety studies

Edited by Macnamara

2 minutes ago, Macnamara said:

Or one day they get an email from their boss saying that they are being laid off and they find out that all that time they were working remotely, artificial intelligence was monitoring them, studying them, imitating them, learning from them and finally replacing them altogether

At which point they will be offered a UBI, on the condition they behave themselves.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Its one of those great utopian ideas that has its downsides though, namely that with all your apps and data being 'cloud-based', the potential for snooping and tracking is far greater, and the risk of having files 'of a sensitive nature' being deleted for breaking some T&Cs etc.

When you mention this to most people, you get the usual predictable sheep response:

"I don't care. I've got nothing to hide."

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DarianF said:

At which point they will be offered a UBI, on the condition they behave themselves.

The social credit score system they will already have up and running in the background will be brought out into the light of day and everyone will be given a score

It might be possible, like in the black mirror episode, for people to see other peoples scores through augmented reality but otherwise it will be viewable to interested parties just as your credit score is today. if you put a foot wrong your social credit score will fall and your universal basic income will be cut and your travel privileges restricted

1 hour ago, DarianF said:

When you mention this to most people, you get the usual predictable sheep response:

But that can change as the law changes. All it needs is for the law to change to something someone doesn't like and suddenly they will find themself a dissident and at that point they will want EVERYTHING they do hidden because they will feel like a target

Edited by Macnamara

The social credit score system they will already have up and running in the background will be brought out into the light of day and everyone will be given a score

It might be possible, like in the black mirror episode, for people to see other peoples scores through augmented reality but otherwise it will be viewable to interested parties just as your credit score is today. if you put a foot wrong your social credit score will fall and your universal basic income will be cut and your travel privileges restricted

Just like China. Already fully operational.

But that can change as the law changes. All it needs is for the law to change to something someone doesn't like and suddenly they will find themself a dissident ans at that point they will want EVERYTHING they do hidden because they will feel like a target

There seems to be a slavery gene inserted into the human DNA. They just love submitting and being controlled.

Just now, DarianF said:

There seems to be a slavery gene inserted into the human DNA. They just love submitting and being controlled.

No it is just a cultural situation whereby the right hemisphere of the brain has become chronically dominant in many people

By balancing out the hemispheres of the brain those people can raise their consciousness to become more balanced

Consciousness can actually alter gene expression: 'epigenetics'

3 minutes ago, Macnamara said:

No it is just a cultural situation whereby the right hemisphere of the brain has become chronically dominant in many people

By balancing out the hemispheres of the brain those people can raise their consciousness to become more balanced

Consciousness can actually alter gene expression: 'epigenetics'

If you are a solid worker who then works at home .... it can be okay.  But for many they start bunking off and quality slides.  That's just human nature.  Later the company goes into bankruptcy.

Richard Dawkins stole his ideas from earlier scientists and spent most of his career in Marketing and PR, promoting Oxford University by writing stupid books with big drama titles.   Like Neil deGrasse Tyson he's not a scientist.  He's a face to sell.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Macnamara said:

Well yes, that is of course another downside to be considered 😉

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Well yes, that is of course another downside to be considered 😉

Its coming and the only thing the OP is going to find dematerialising is their job

Best to stop salivating over slave-tech and instead start training in something AI can't do now whilst there is still time and opportunity

6 hours ago, DarianF said:

I normally counter that with "so you'd happily have a camera installed in your shower?" and their brain starts to melt.

All these office worker dwellings which would usually be empty now require heat and power through the hours of 9-5 which is now coming out of their own wages.

It would be interesting to see one big office block worth of heat and other costs versus say 300 houses. It may be shifting costs from one place to another for all I know.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, factJack said:

All these office worker dwellings which would usually be empty now require heat and power through the hours of 9-5 which is now coming out of their own wages.

It would be interesting to see one big office block worth of heat and other costs versus say 300 houses. It may be shifting costs from one place to another for all I know.

It would also be interesting to see the energy consumption figures because I'd guess heating your home uses more energy per capita than heating an office. Certainly offices should be more efficient. Greta should be outraged.

mask2.jpg