Massive internet outage - AWS/Google/Slack all dead

Mikhail Liebestein

A lot of the US East Coast is down.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/internet-outage-hits-us-east-cost-taking-down-gmail-slack-and-amazon-aws-174704900.html

Is this the start of the great cloud blackout?

Zoom too:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/zoom-down-internet-outage-knocks-175218519.html

Edited by Mikhail Liebestein

• Mikhail Liebestein changed the title to Massive internet outage - AWS/Google/Slack all dead

They could be rebooting for the Great reset with 9,999,999,999 quantum computers and just needed to add a few miles of memory. Will be back up soon no doubt. Unless, the Q shit was right and this is the take down of the deep state! MERICA FUCK YEAH!

Yeah, I dunno, but it's interesting speculating all the same. Hopefully they can't get it back up again, but everything on my phone is working just fine, like playstore and email. But I'm not in the US either. I wonder if it spreads across the globe, that would be interesting. 

Edited by Morpheus

Verizon Fios is experiencing an Internet outage making it impossible to access many websites after a fiber connection was cut in Brooklyn.

Starting at approximately 11:00 AM EST, Verizon Fios users found they were no longer able to access popular services, such as Google, Slack, Microsoft

Teams, Azure, and even Verizon’s own website and My verizon app to check for known outages.

According to DownDetector, the outage is affecting locations in the northeast of the United States, including Washington DC, Virginia, New York, New Jersey, and Massachusets.

https://fairshake.com/newswire/verizon/2021/01/26/verizon-fios-fiber-cut-causes-internet-outage-in-northeastern-us/

Todays people are so obsessed with the net, you have to wonder how many people now cope without any net access for any period of time?

For most of human history, humans were mostly bored.

Now many people if they go 10 mins with visual stimulation of watching a mobile screen, they get depressed.

Madness.

Edited by andy1033

Last month, Google was hit with a much larger global outage taking down all its major services including Gmail, Google Maps, YouTube, Google Docs, Google Drive. At the time Google blamed the issue on an authentication system outage that prevented users from logging into their accounts.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladityaray/2021/01/26/east-coast-experiencing-major-internet-outage--cut-fiber-in-brooklyn-likely-culprit/

Is there such a thing as an 'authentication system outage' ?... I guess it's either the network or nothing, and by the way this was no outage but a deliberate blockade by Amazon as far as I know... so is this actually a shutdown ?

• 10 months later...

'Along with taking down swaths of the internet, the rash also left Amazon delivery trucks sitting idle with drivers unable to access their routes and warehouse workers patiently waiting for computers to kick back online.'

That's going to be a major problem should a day come when Amazon are the only company that are delivering food. What better way to starve people than to have all foods in the control of a single entity some time in the future.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jack121 said:

Also noticed qr codes everywhere here in britain, ebay has them now, saw them on channel four yesterday. They did say something about locking the anti vaxxers out of the net

Just alter the language surrounding the topic.

On 1/26/2021 at 1:49 PM, andy1033 said:

Todays people are so obsessed with the net, you have to wonder how many people now cope without any net access for any period of time?

For most of human history, humans were mostly bored.

Now many people if they go 10 mins with visual stimulation of watching a mobile screen, they get depressed.

Madness.

Quite the contrary. For most of human history, humans had to work, struggle and toil, with no time for boredom. It's the modern day man that has found himself with too much time on his hands. As the saying goes, the Devil makes work of idle hands.

...back to the thread's topic...

Hadn't noticed any outages here on my end, but my modem has been blipping off line randomly over the past few weeks. I've noticed when some Amazon trucks pull up near my catbox, my internet goes off line until they pull away.

I grew up as a child in the pre-internet world. I know it may sound scary to some, but things were much better without it. It has done far more damage to us and our societies than it has good. I would rejoice in seeing a complete meltdown of the web. 

On 12/16/2021 at 6:48 AM, Saved said:

'Along with taking down swaths of the internet, the rash also left Amazon delivery trucks sitting idle with drivers unable to access their routes and warehouse workers patiently waiting for computers to kick back online.'

That's going to be a major problem should a day come when Amazon are the only company that are delivering food. What better way to starve people than to have all foods in the control of a single entity some time in the future.

Its quite remarkable really just how much some professions are 'dependent' on technology to their jobs.

On th other hand its quite scary how many people don't know what to do when their tech devices stop giving them instructions...

52 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Its quite remarkable really just how much some professions are 'dependent' on technology to their jobs.

On th other hand its quite scary how many people don't know what to do when their tech devices stop giving them instructions...

Absolutely, everything is so vulnerable now. Literally one line of software/code with an error could end humanity.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20150505-the-numbers-that-lead-to-disaster

Edited by Mikhail Liebestein