Freeman of the City of London

It's always intrigued me as to how some unknown (or not so hugely successful) people become a "Freeman of the city of London"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_the_City_of_London

It's obvious to assume they are linked to freemasonry. But you would think that it's not as easy as joining the guild without knowing someone or donatıng large sums of money to the organisation. 

What benefits are there? An advertisement that you're a worthy freemason? Perhaps by being a Freeman it's gives you automatic access to large loans from banks otherwise not given to the average joe?

As most readers are aware, the city of London is like the Vatican of the UK. Like a separate entity - some say its owned by the Roths and the capital control centre of the whole financial world. 

9 minutes ago, makjagger said:

As most readers are aware, the city of London is like the Vatican of the UK. Like a separate entity - some say its owned by the Roths and the capital control centre of the whole financial world. 

You also missed Washington DC, which is also a state within a state. London = Money,  DC = military and the Vatican = religion. Basically the unholy trinity as the power centres of this realm. And the Roths do own the City of London, as they have done since the napoleonic war. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Liam3880 said:

I remember chatting to a guy on holiday once and he told me he was a freeman of london

i never quite understood how he achieved it or what it meant, he seemed like a normal guy 

Likewise I know a Freeman of London (not a friend I just know him) but he's not famous or incredibly rich (he's well off mind you) and doesn't donate to charity. It seems you can join to be a member of the guild, but to actually have the title you need to be recognised for achieving something big. (or maybe you just need to be great friends with a top ranking freemason!) 

1 hour ago, Liam3880 said:

I remember chatting to a guy on holiday once and he told me he was a freeman of london

i never quite understood how he achieved it or what it meant, he seemed like a normal guy 

There maybe a difference between 'freeman of London' and a 'freeman of the City Of London'