Wim Hof method, thought it could be beneficial for people to try.

FsV

Hi all awake people!

I don´t like to try and convince people what to do or not to do but this guy Wim Hof from the Netherlands is in my opinion worth a look.

He is all about making the mind and body stronger.

Some of you may already know about his breathing method, but i thought i would post about it anyway.

Well it´s not just about breathing but also putting the body through cold stress and more.

He has actually done alot of scientific testing on himself by doctors and scientists, and he also have somthing like 26 worldrecords in various diciplines (mostly related to putting the body through prolonged cold stress).

Check him out on youtube or his homepage, just search for Wim Hof Method on duckduckgo or such.

I have actually tried the breathing method daily for about 2 veeks and for me it really helped me to get focused and incredibly positive and relaxed.

Thought it could be interesting for some people to try it out.

Peace!

• Thanks 1

A good friend of mine does the cold part of this- though not as extreme as Wim does. He loves it. I tried the breathing part myself a while ago, but didnt give it a long enough try over a period of days or weeks etc to form an opinion. There is an app to follow if you want to give it a go, or just watch the videos of him explaining it.

I bought his ten week course, I’m on week four, week five starts I think tomorrow, I can now do ten min cold showers which I didn’t think I’d ever be capable of, I couldn’t have managed 30 secs before I started so I’ll reserve judgment unTIL the end but it does seem good I’m impressed 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobinJ said:

A good friend of mine does the cold part of this- though not as extreme as Wim does. He loves it. I tried the breathing part myself a while ago, but didnt give it a long enough try over a period of days or weeks etc to form an opinion. There is an app to follow if you want to give it a go, or just watch the videos of him explaining it.

Yeah someone showed me the breathing stuff. I gave it a go twice, felt pretty great afterwards. But it's not something I could do or would want to do regularly - but very good experience and lifts your state if that is your desire.

11 hours ago, RobinJ said:

most folks seem to have a positive experience with it from what Ive heard personally. Anything that can make you feel good during this CV bullshite is worth a go.

That's true actually, and personally I've never heard any negative feedback about the Hof!

• Thanks 1

I've been practicing The Wim Hof Method for a couple of months now, and I must say it really was and is an eyeopener. But it requires disciplin, because you have to do the practice regulary. All the benefits listed on his website from the breathing, cold exposure and mind focusing is really something. I would recommend giving it a try, but not for only 1-2 days, even though most can feel a chance in mental and psyhical health already - keep pushing (without forcing) and it will be even better. Keep going with the method, practice, improve your technique and read or watch some lectures on it - there are plenty. Enjoy :-)

• Thanks 1

I have been doing the wim hof breath technique since the beginning of the second lockdown in the uk. I totally cracked up during the first lockdown. It has certainly helped me through this utter shite we are having to endure once again. How l long for some freedom  and freedom of speech.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My Mum recommended this to me. Whatever works for you. I'm sure for Wim this is what works for him. For me, an introvert, I prefer Raja Yoga, whereas extroverts may prefere Hatha Yoga. Pushing one to physical extremes releases stress, decreases Cortisol, increases endorphines and disciplines the mind. In Shaolin they've mastered these disciplines over millennia and train harder than even the most extreme military units.

Before anything I'd recommend celibacy, which is in fact the right relationship with sex and not abstinence as commonly believed. It does require coitus interruptus or the restraint of ones ejaculate when engaged however masterbation wether restrained or not is to be avoided in discipline.

The seminal fluids are continually produced yet ones testes do not swell for one reabsorbs this most highly nutritious fluid back into the blood as long as it has not been spilt and wasted. It is believed that in each month from adulthood that a man wastes his seed, he will thus age for nutrients to develop his seeds of life take president over nutrients for the blood, marrow and regeneration. The testes are therefore not just generative organs, they are regenerative organs, if used correctly and consciousl that is.

For more info, mail me.

Semen Nutritional Properties

Property Per 100mL In average volume (3.4 mL)
Calcium (mg) 27.6 0.938
Chloride (mg) 142 4.83
Citrate (mg) 528 18.0
Fructose (mg) 272 9.25
Glucose (mg) 102 3.47
Lactic acid (mg) 62 2.11
Magnesium (mg) 11 0.374
Potassium (mg) 109 3.71
Protein (mg) 5,040 171
Sodium (mg) 300 10.2
Urea (mg) 45 1.53
Zinc (mg) 16.5 0.561
Buffering capacity (β) 25
Osmolarity (mOsm) 354
pH 7.7
Viscosity (cP) 3–7
Volume (mL) 3.4
Edited by Seconal

• 5 months later...

Bit late to the party but here's my two cents on Wim Hof.  I've done his ten week online Fundamentals videos and I'm now working through the Power of the Mind course.

You're gonna get out what you put in but I have had fantastic results so far. I felt the free stuff he puts out was quite boring and I found the courses far more engaging but you'll need to be putting in effort most days of the week.

I love his style, shouting, swearing during the guided practices and just a real crazy guy. Feels quite spiritual as you get into as well IMHO.

Through his teachings I've finally nailed some chronic hip pain and I can run again. The psychological benefits, mental health, have been very welcome too. All without any pharma.

I have mentioned Wim many times on this forum. I recommend his method to anyone. 

I do his breathing and cold shower method every morning, and I do the breathing method in the evening too. I look forward to them. They make the body feel intensely alive. The cold shower is epic, I am now up to four minutes and the only problem I have is that the water even at it's coldest is not cold enough! I want it to be icy. I love it. 

The cold showers will improve your circulation to an enormous degree. You will actually feel the blood pumping in your body.

Edited by Ethel
typo

2 hours ago, Ethel said:

The cold shower is epic, I am now up to four minutes and the only problem I have is that the water even at it's coldest is not cold enough! I want it to be icy. I love it. 

His online courses have online training for a cold water bath topped with ice cubes like you see in the documentaries!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daithi said:

His online courses have online training for a cold water bath topped with ice cubes like you see in the documentaries!

Sounds good. Honestly, it creates the most incredible sensation on and just under the surface of the skin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ebru said:

Never understood why he is so famous.

He's broken world records and has ostensibly been in the Guinness Book Of World Records for various feats of endurance.

1 hour ago, Ebru said:

Is adding pranayama to this makes such difference?

I get the cynicism. First two weeks of practising his techniques I wondered what the hype was. But then I "got" it and for such a short practice - 15 minutes breathing, 5 minutes cold shower/ice bath the results are amazing for me.

I also pranayama in my yoga classes for 5 years, Wim Hof Method is nothing like any yoga breathing technique I have ever practiced before. Of course I'm not an expert in yoga breathing styles. I do not now of any widely practised yoga technique that includes up to 4 minutes of not breathing.

It is not cynicism. I know it works, just it is not something new and he sells old tricks as something he discovered. It is not right for me that's all. Take closer look at kumbhaka pranayama for example or tummo meditation. Exposing to cold it is not new also and people who love to swim during winter are getting same results las Wim Hof method. If you practising something for years, you will get results. Practice makes masters.

Edited by Ebru

3 hours ago, Ebru said:

If you practising something for years, you will get results.

Obviously we are not going to get to a point of agreement! I don't want to antagonise anybody and I hesitate to post this because it might seem combative. But for the sake of others in the future who follow this thread I do want to counter your points which are common criticisms of Wim with my own experiences and observations.

I do think it's unfair to accuse Wim of simply reselling old tricks. His work does stand of the shoulders of ancestor wisdom and he frequently discusses that point and acknowledges it. He specifically talks about Tummo on his website and acknowledges the benefits of the practice. On his fundamentals 10 week course, for each weekly group class he also has a yoga teacher beside him teaching Vinyasa flows and pranayama breathing alongside specific Wim Hof techniques. They are complementary but each is a different practice targetting different issues.

So to my mind, his unique contribution is how he has pulled apart this ancient knowledge that is practiced to this day, researched it heavily and reformulated it into simplified technique provided by one teacher covering breath, cold and most importantly mind. A lot of people seem to suggest that one can simply follow Tummo or other yogic breathing traditions and get results too but when I investigate those practices the timelines to achieve strong results are at least months and often years.

So a key point is that Wim Hof Method delivers life changing results for alot of people in days and weeks (including myself and several friends). The traditional practices, some of which I have practiced myself for years, are systems that seem to require many years of dedicated practice to master. So that's a key difference for Wim's method IMHO and something Wim deserves acknowledgement and credit for.