STEPS AND BENEFITS OF PADMASANA YOGA

Padmasana is a very basic and is best in all sitting yoga poses. If you see any yogi or sage meditating, then you will always them sitting in this yoga. Sitting in Padmasana is very beneficial for your leg and hip muscles and joints. But not only this, but it has also been said in the mythological texts that if you sit always in Padmasana, then it can also eliminate many of your disorders. So, see below to know more about Padmasana.

• Like 1

The full lotus position is very bad for you, it can severely damage the knees for life even for serious and competent students.  I know some who are now teachers and who advise against sitting like this ... from their own experience.  One teacher I know cannot any more bend his knees or sit on the floor ... he must always sit in chairs.  This is because he did full lotus when he was younger.  Big mistake.

Meditation should be the practice of self-realisation in a seated position.

When you are ignorant and you have bad teachers you won't really understand what to do.

Often then, people make a virtual of sitting postures which are difficult.

Because they don't really understand how to mediate instead they torture their body to get the feeling they did something hard.

But this is not how meditate works, it is not a torture of the body.

Because you are trying to enter a natural state of self realisation you should find a relaxed position and avoid all forms of self torture.

All struggle and strain are really about impressing other people and have the effect of making the mind more unconscious.

This is all the wrong way.

First you should be relaxed, sit calmly, either in simple cross legged position of in perfect pose which is a gentle position.

You can reach self realisation in any position, even lying on your face side or back or sitting on the toilet.

It is good if you are generally upright so you breathing is not squashed .. but do not sit with the spine vertical like a soldier, because nobody is coming to salute you and you are not a soldier.

Only those who are relaxed can meditate.

Find a good traditional teacher, perhaps from the Satyananda Sivananda or Internal Meditation Centre Chippenham.  Or Zen.  All these are good tradition choices.

Be advised that in 2020 today any tom dick and harry is creating "mediation" such as eating carrots meditation and shopping meditation and this is the abuse of the word meditation.  Avoid all this nonsense.

Here is a "Burmese" posture, it's very good.  You can have your hands in any position upwards or downwards on the knees clasped at the belly or doing a mudra, all is fine.

Also you can get a big cushion behind you or under your ass if it helps.

If you cannot relax and sit comfortable for 30 mins then find something else.

bbb.jpg

1 hour ago, rideforever said:

The full lotus position is very bad for you, it can severely damage the knees for life even for serious and competent students.  I know some who are now teachers and who advise against sitting like this ... from their own experience.  One teacher I know cannot any more bend his knees or sit on the floor ... he must always sit in chairs.  This is because he did full lotus when he was younger.  Big mistake

i find that hard to belive....one should try, and if it is comfortable,he/she should do it 

what you said here is that bending knees is dangerous 

56 minutes ago, screamingeagle said:

what you said here is that bending knees is dangerous

Full lotus is not bending the knees.  And I am being literal when I said that I know several senior yoga/meditation teachers who advise not to because they did it and now they cannot even sit on the floor.

But hey, enjoy yourself what do I care.  Most people are only interested in buying incense and telling their friends they are doing "yoga" anyway.

1 hour ago, rideforever said:

I know several senior yoga/meditation teachers who advise not to because they did it and now they cannot even sit on the floor.

Yes Idiots blunder into this subject and try to achieve in weeks what takes years . and they damage themselves ...

In my early 20s I was being drawn into yoga , it's what Crowley recommends .... I had chosen a sitting posture and was spending 30mins a day trying to be still in it (along with pranayama) ....I was keen and dedicated , and this intensity drew to me a true Yogi ... the sort of person you read about in books ....

I met him on a beach in Morocco , he was living wild , had no money , no passport  but was able to draw everything he wanted to him ... This impressed me greatly being a student of Magick .... He said it was "God Providing" ... In my ignorance I put it down to just the power of the mind , Doing Yoga produces a still mind , so I just thought he was doing what everyone does ,creating their own reality with their thoughts  but with him the effect was much more pronounced due to his still mind..

Anyway he was a master of Yoga and I stayed on the beach with him for a month .... many unbelievable stories about his life ....

He impressed on me Lotus is the key posture , and I immediately set to work on this .... Within a month I could just about hold it for 15mins before the pain forced me out ... Now , 40 years latter I can hold it a bit longer ....

I can tell you Lotus is the final word ....

Nothing sends you there like Lotus , it has an effect no other posture has ....

And our thread starter is correct , all the great yogis throughout history only use this pose ....

So this is the pose we're after . Demonstrated on the right by Iyengar with the correct hand position ...

3217965a486d93f956bb1a861830372d.jpgBKS-Iyengar-Padmasanapetit.jpg

There is no substitute , no short cut , just dedicated effort .

But have no doubt this is what you need to do ...

Once lotus is mastered  bliss unending awaits  in sexual union with your sweetheart, 

yab-yum-fdea9e95-905e-414c-8377-8d0953c8

There are many things you can do, like holding mudras in your hands etc... they all "do something", meaning they have some slight energetic effect.

But the problem with all this is that self-realisation is not a joke, it is not a circus.

Self-realisation comes from deep introspection and is a shift of your intelligence and consciousness.  it is not a joke and you cannot arrive at it through any stupid posture.

Many of the Indian sages from the Upanishads ... did zero yoga.  Look at Ramana Maharshi.  He was covered in rats and used to lie on the floor filthy and clutching his knees like a baby.  Or Nisargadatta who used to work in a shitty beedie cigarette smoke and screech at his students.  Or UG Krishnamurti who couldn't give a fuck.

Now these are yogis because they are self-realised and it's not a stupid theatre.

Just look at the NHS they don't do medicine they just do virtue signalling because they are too stupid to do medicine.

When people don't understand they start doing stupid materialistic things ... look how I can torture myself.

This is the cause for the development of a hierarchy each one more stupid and more self torturing than the other.

And then the masochist students arrive who love to be tortured because they like self torture and virtue signalling.

Then the entire tradition is replaced with dumb fuck sadists and masochists and the whole thing is dead.

Self realisation is not a joke for dumb monkeys, it is not a trick and it is not energy.

All those moron yogis you have up there including Vishnudevandaya are weak fools.  Their whole idea is that you have to "purify" yourself by not swearing and not having sex, and always being super fucking happy.   But this is all a lie.

Look at Buddha or Jesus, it was only that they were super fucking unhappy that they entered the path.

It was being miserable in a sea of stupid fools that causes you to wake up and do something.

Crowley for all his many flaws at least understood that - he said that if you have the tendency of being pure then you should first bind yourself to the low to provide balance; and vice versa.

Edited by rideforever