Renewables Can't Power Modern Civilization

itsnotallrightjack

On 12/2/2020 at 1:50 AM, Macnamara said:

renewables don't need to power modern civilisation

they only need to provide power for a drastically reduced human population

all you need to achieve this is a mass global roll out of a health and fertility destroying bioweapon, injected into the general public

This is the crux of it, and probably the truth if governments want to power their countries with renewables only. I'm all for renewables but let's face it solar panels are not much use in Britain, but in African countries- yes. So what will have to happen will be mostly nuclear power which I do not like one bit. Nuclear is potentially very dangerous (we all know about Windrush, Chernobyl and Fukushima) and containing the radioactive waste creates long term problems. The only real safe solution for human future is renewables and huge population reduction in the West. Tropical countries might be ok energy wise as they tend to be more rural  and can use solar panels. 

1 hour ago, itsnotallrightjack said:

This is the crux of it, and probably the truth if governments want to power their countries with renewables only. I'm all for renewables but let's face it solar panels are not much use in Britain, but in African countries- yes. So what will have to happen will be mostly nuclear power which I do not like one bit. Nuclear is potentially very dangerous (we all know about Windrush, Chernobyl and Fukushima) and containing the radioactive waste creates long term problems. The only real safe solution for human future is renewables and huge population reduction in the West. Tropical countries might be ok energy wise as they tend to be more rural  and can use solar panels. 

there is some talk about fusion

The Magnox Reactor was something like CERN on a small scale that keeps elementry particles going round in circles and occassionally hitting each other to produce a fusion reaction. More often than not, a fission reaction occurs which bursts the containment field causing the failsafe to kick in. The talk about a black hole is just the worst case scenario but there are a scale of not very good scenarios and nature of the science being closer to alchemy than physics is such that there are few that can scrutinise whats actually going on. If it succeeds, the unprecedented changes to energy could create global instability. If it fails, we could end up being blown in the dark ages. I don't know what the failsafe mechanism or how it could be reliable if a fusion reaction takes on a life of its own.

14 minutes ago, itsnotallrightjack said:

Yes, I could read up on it, but being the sceptic I am, I wonder if they'd be telling us the truth. The nuclear industry is a profit based one, and would be keen to prove they are "safe." 

sure, as with all things 'let the buyer beware'

it has always been thus since our ancestors had to roam around foraging for food. If they picked and ate the wrong plant it could kill them

Nothing has changed. We still need to look before each step or risk coming unstuck. If you pick up the wrong food off the shop shelf it may contain carcinogenic material that could lead to your death

If you let someone give you a pharmaceutical drug and you don't know whats in it or how it works it may end you or make you very sick. The only real check and balance is our own depth of knowledge

Edited by Macnamara

• 2 months later...

Always ask yourself if someone has an agenda when speaking out, and bill gates most definitely has an agenda here.

His words are worthless on this issue like many others, as he is not being impartial, and what he says caused this, should be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyone with a home in a country that is cold, knows that the newer forms of heating, are not upto the task.

Watch this video, from a professional who has installed all sorts into peoples homes in uk

Watch that video, from an experienced builder in uk, and he tells you straight that new techs are not upto the task of heating your home in winters.

At least this man from skillbuilder does not have an agenda, and just tells it straight, about his experience of installing all sorts in uk. Uk have pretty cold winters, but obviously not as bad as america can have, and not the one in texas. If these techs cannot heat a home in uk, what chance do they have in colder parts, including many parts in usa.

Bill gates is talking out of his arse, and he is not someone people should be listening too. His agenda, of hating fossil fuels, negates his opinions on newer technologies.

People need honesty, not people with agendas like bill gates, with his fake climate change rubbish.

Edited by andy1033
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2021 at 11:28 AM, andy1033 said:

Always ask yourself if someone has an agenda when speaking out, and bill gates most definitely has an agenda here.

His words are worthless on this issue like many others, as he is not being impartial, and what he says caused this, should be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyone with a home in a country that is cold, knows that the newer forms of heating, are not upto the task.

Watch that video, from an experienced builder in uk, and he tells you straight that new techs are not upto the task of heating your home in winters.

At least this man from skillbuilder does not have an agenda, and just tells it straight, about his experience of installing all sorts in uk. Uk have pretty cold winters, but obviously not as bad as america can have, and not the one in texas. If these techs cannot heat a home in uk, what chance do they have in colder parts, including many parts in usa.

Bill gates is talking out of his arse, and he is not someone people should be listening too. His agenda, of hating fossil fuels, negates his opinions on newer technologies.

People need honesty, not people with agendas like bill gates, with his fake climate change rubbish.

Here in the UK, I've read elsewhere before about the 'plan to phase out gas', where by 2040 or some other arbitrary year, all new homes will not have gas supplies or boilers installed, and existing homes will not be able to have new gas boilers installed.

If that is to be the case, I find it remarkable that so much money and time is being 'invested' in upgrading or replacing existing gas mains supplies. Everywhere I go here in Birmingham, there seem to be works being carried out by Cadent on repairing or upgrading gas mains infrastructure, digging up roads and pavements in order to replace existing pipework.

On a side note, with regards to building of new houses, near where I work, a number of new builds were completed last year along the Stratford Road in Sparkbrook, and I was amazed to see that they all had chimneys! Chimneys are of course a throwback to the days of coal fireplaces, and are not required for modern gas fireplaces or gas-fired central heating. Unless perhaps you have some sort of wood-burning stove, but surely they have no 'green credentials' either?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/22/2021 at 11:28 AM, andy1033 said:

Watch this video, from a professional who has installed all sorts into peoples homes in uk

This fella is spot on with everything. Heat pumps are a waste of time. Homes will be frozen in the winter with those. 

On 2/26/2021 at 6:25 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

Here in the UK, I've read elsewhere before about the 'plan to phase out gas', where by 2040 or some other arbitrary year, all new homes will not have gas supplies or boilers installed, and existing homes will not be able to have new gas boilers installed.

If that is to be the case, I find it remarkable that so much money and time is being 'invested' in upgrading or replacing existing gas mains supplies. Everywhere I go here in Birmingham, there seem to be works being carried out by Cadent on repairing or upgrading gas mains infrastructure, digging up roads and pavements in order to replace existing pipework.

On a side note, with regards to building of new houses, near where I work, a number of new builds were completed last year along the Stratford Road in Sparkbrook, and I was amazed to see that they all had chimneys! Chimneys are of course a throwback to the days of coal fireplaces, and are not required for modern gas fireplaces or gas-fired central heating. Unless perhaps you have some sort of wood-burning stove, but surely they have no 'green credentials' either?

They will remove my gas boiler over my dead body. Everyone knows that gas central heating and hot water boilers are  the cheapest and most efficient form of heating homes and hot water (coupled with wall and loft insulation). I grew up in a freezing council house in the 1970s. No wall or loft insulation, no gas central heating,  ice on the inside of the windows in the winter and black mould growing on my bedroom wall ( it was an end house).

Well the gas pipes you have seen being built prove the point really.

But as the man said in the video- existing gas pipes can be used for hydrogen. 

I have not seen one new house build round my way that have chimneys. The Victorian houses they are refurbishing even have them removed when they do the roofs. I think it's likely those chimneys you see are just for decoration and have no flues leading to fireplaces. No new house today has a working fireplace.

4 hours ago, itsnotallrightjack said:

I have not seen one new house build round my way that have chimneys. The Victorian houses they are refurbishing even have them removed when they do the roofs. I think it's likely those chimneys you see are just for decoration and have no flues leading to fireplaces. No new house today has a working fireplace.

It is indeed a curiosity, why even build chimneys for 'decoration' if they serve no purpose?

You can see what I mean here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4654172,-1.8772562,3a,75y,286.07h,101.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAockgQi896ERtk6jXaygEQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192