British Folk Traditions : small flowers in foil ???

A few times I have been handed by a woman or group of women a few small flowers wrapped in foil, given to me in my hand.  I don't know who they are?  Are they gypsies?  Seems to be a sort of tradition.

I am not sure if it's a kind of begging?

Does anyone know what I am talking about ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rideforever said:

A few times I have been handed by a woman or group of women a few small flowers wrapped in foil, given to me in my hand.  I don't know who they are?  Are they gypsies?  Seems to be a sort of tradition.

I am not sure if it's a kind of begging?

Does anyone know what I am talking about ?

It's lavander sold by gypsies and supposed to give you good luck.  I used to work near Oxford Street and often would be pursued,

by sometimes quite intimidating gypsy women.

From the 19th century "As well as working on the harvest, the Gypsy Travellers would also buy bunches of lavender to sell on the streets of London advertising their wares with the traditional cry:

Will you buy my sweet lavender
Sweet blooming lavender
Oh buy my pretty lavender
Sixteen bunches a penny."

https://www.culture24.org.uk/history-and-heritage/art38559

• Thanks 1

Another one I know is Worzel Gummidge ... which sort of freaked me out, but had some old agricultural folk stuff in it.

I just read they did a new miniseries in 2019 with a black cast.

- earlier I heard in the Russian Revolution staunchly nationalist newspapers overnight become turncoat communists ... without pausing to adjust the typewriters -

s1.jpg

10 hours ago, rideforever said:

Another one I know is Worzel Gummidge

The 'worzel' part is a reference to a vegetable similar to a turnip and i believe that 'gummidge' is mashed up turnip used as fodder for livestock

15 hours ago, rideforever said:

Maybe you all know of others ... you'd like to share?   Like chimney sweeps ....

A chimney sweep can give you a certificate for your fire and without it your house insurance may be affected. Also If you don't clean out your chimney it can become lined with soot which can start a chimney fire which can burn at insane temperatures so the services of a good chimney sweep are still very valuable. If you're burning logs you're supposed to get a chimney sweep in every few months. If you're burning smokeless coal then it's much longer between visits

Mac how'd you know about white heather?

Ive been offered white heather by gypsies. In Scotland it's considered to be good luck or rather as a protection

Incidentally heather was used as a brusher of chimneys in shetland where they were called 'hedder howes'

Edited by Macnamara