Rainbow at the Ranch

serpentine

Busy year for the Starchild but She kindly ran with two requests.

The first was for a rainbow at the ORP which I mooted back in July as at the time I didnt feel like posting in the DIF thread about rainbows. I added the important qualifiers of choosing the right time and of not wrecking the entirety of the annual  US agriculture prodution in the process just for one rainbow, and She likes that sort of humour. The low arch looks like a magnetic field line emerging which is a nice touch I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPgDsBx6WT8

The second, made back in early Spring was for Her to bring as many storms and hurricanes as possible to the  US side of the gulf of Mexico. The precise spot of concentration (Her choice) seems to be around Louisiana. Rivers of lava can be more fun  but controlling the water cycle at need is a more important remit as She travels on Her way to the Immeasurable Heavens.

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2020 at 3:26 PM, serpentine said:

The first was for a rainbow at the ORP which I mooted back in July as at the time I didnt feel like posting in the DIF thread about rainbows. I added the important qualifiers of choosing the right time and of not wrecking the entirety of the annual  US agriculture prodution in the process just for one rainbow, and She likes that sort of humour. The low arch looks like a magnetic field line emerging which is a nice touch I think.

The second, made back in early Spring was for Her to bring as many storms and hurricanes as possible to the  US side of the gulf of Mexico. The precise spot of concentration (Her choice) seems to be around Louisiana. Rivers of lava can be more fun  but controlling the water cycle at need is a more important remit as She travels on Her way to the Immeasurable Heavens. happy wheels

That's a beauty alright!

Edited by peiybarra

when you are flying in an ultralight aircraft above the clouds, if the conditions are just right you will see a circular  rainbow on the top of the clouds with the shadow of the plane in the middle of the circle, it's certainly an impressive sight

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peter said:

when you are flying in an ultralight aircraft above the clouds, if the conditions are just right you will see a circular  rainbow on the top of the clouds with the shadow of the plane in the middle of the circle, it's certainly an impressive sight

l've seen this, hang gliding in Australia. lt's called a Brocken Spectre.

"A Brocken spectre (German: Brockengespenst), also called Brocken bow or mountain spectre, is the magnified (and apparently enormous) shadow of an observer cast upon clouds opposite the Sun's direction. The figure's head is often surrounded by the halo-like rings of coloured light forming a glory, which appears opposite the Sun's direction when uniformly-sized water droplets in clouds refract and backscatter sunlight.

The phenomenon can appear on any misty mountainside or cloud bank, even when seen from an aeroplane, but the frequent fogs and low-altitude accessibility of the Brocken, a peak in the Harz Mountains in Germany, have created a local legend from which the phenomenon draws its name. The Brocken spectre was observed and described by Johann Silberschlag in 1780, and has since been recorded often in literature about the region."

Brocken spectre.jpg

Brocken spectre 02.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, peter said:

That's interesting ,now I know what it's called, thanks for that. What ever you call it it's still bloody impressive to witness it first hand

l thought l was hallucinating..
Very surreal.
lt wasn't until l spoke with other pilots that l realised it was a real thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 10:04 PM, Basket Case said:

l thought l was hallucinating..
Very surreal.
lt wasn't until l spoke with other pilots that l realised it was a real thing.

went flying today when the low cloud lifted there was large billowing white clouds ,dropped a wing and flew around a cloud column,and low and behold about 3/4 of the way around there it was a circular rainbow with the shadow of the plane in the center . I gave control to my mate and said go around again so I could capture it on a mobile phone, unfortunately the second time around nothing . I guess you have to be in exactly in the right place at the right time 

5 hours ago, peter said:

went flying today when the low cloud lifted there was large billowing white clouds ,dropped a wing and flew around a cloud column,and low and behold about 3/4 of the way around there it was a circular rainbow with the shadow of the plane in the center . I gave control to my mate and said go around again so I could capture it on a mobile phone, unfortunately the second time around nothing . I guess you have to be in exactly in the right place at the right time 

Yep, l'd guess it's down to a bit of luck..
Both times l saw it, l was flying hang gliders in Oz.
Once along the coast south of Sydney at Stanwell Park and once in the Victorian Alps off of Mnt Emu.
l flew with friends from the Canungra Club off of Mnt Tambourine among many sites across Oz but saw no circular rainbows..
Happy days  :O)

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 11/7/2020 at 8:26 AM, serpentine said:

The second, made back in early Spring was for Her to bring as many storms and hurricanes as possible to the  US side of the gulf of Mexico. The precise spot of concentration (Her choice) seems to be around Louisiana. Rivers of lava can be more fun  but controlling the water cycle at need is a more important remit as She travels on Her way to the Immeasurable Heavens.

Two more hurricanes followed  of course with the first like Maureen Rees, reversing over Cuba, knocking the rear lights out on Florida, coasting back into the Gulf then executing a perfect 8 point turn to cross the Florida coast going in the right direction. A pass! The second was more Thelma  and Louise but both eyewalls had passed the coast within an eyewall's width of each other.

The mention Rivers of Lava is a hark back to 2018 and fissure 8 and just a few hours earlier than requested things start up again on the Big Island.

Edited by serpentine

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Spring might be a few weeks away at the ranch but they've been busy most of the Winter there with getting another and larger geothermal greenhouse  ready for the new growing season.

Good results were obtained last year outside with mixed raised beds and with a hardy wheat variety in what is termed an alpine desert region (the UK has none of that) where both rain and snowfall is unpredictable and the growing season can get very short indeed.

Edited by serpentine

• 2 months later...