Planet Mars in the Night Sky

Been looking at Mars for weeks as it passes close.  Beautiful orange orb.  Also Saturn and Jupiter have been close to each other as well. I have a 5" reflector and every time it's a really clear night and I get it set up in the garden to cool down slowly so it doesn't mist the mirror, by coincidence I always seem to time it on a  full moon which rises and washes everything out...or the clouds roll in.  Bah!

On 10/30/2020 at 6:31 PM, Fifth element said:

Mars is the brighest planet in the sky coming in SE at dusk.

I see jupiter and saturn are close together to the south or SW  same time.

Blue moon tomorrow night on halloween of all nights probably be cloudy I expect.

Was looking forward to the Blue Moon. Blanket crappy weather for miles no chance by eye or my telescope. Gutted

1 hour ago, Bast said:

Been looking at Mars for weeks as it passes close.  Beautiful orange orb.  Also Saturn and Jupiter have been close to each other as well. I have a 5" reflector and every time it's a really clear night and I get it set up in the garden to cool down slowly so it doesn't mist the mirror, by coincidence I always seem to time it on a  full moon which rises and washes everything out...or the clouds roll in.  Bah!

1 hour ago, Bast said:

Have a Nexstar 8se. Was looking forward to the seasons darker skies. Unfortunately had about 5 days of minging weather. Supposedly better early next week though.😁

Wow, I'm envious!

I'm afraid our telescope is nothing as nice as that!  It's a cheap and cheerful bought for my husband when he was recuperating from a major operation.  Had a fella in to fit a carpet recently who is a keen star gazer and said not to be disheartened as even the cheapies do a reasonable job of basic viewing if you set them up properly.  The nice thing about yours is the tracker.  How many times have I got something in the sights for it to disappear a nanosecond later at the tempting higher magnification!  🙄

A place not too far away is Cranborne Chase which was designated an International Dark Sky Reserve a year ago.  Knowing my luck I would troll over there and the clouds come rolling in.  🤣