Jump to content

Is Online Shopping Safe for Privacy?


Recommended Posts

Pay Pal was bought up by ebay last year, online eBay’s is not coming from the giant Internet marketplace’s California headquarters., instead it is launched by a team of 14 young Israeli geeks (and Marti, their “inspiration dog”) on Tel Aviv’s yuppified Rothschild Boulevard.

 

Everything seems to be coming from Israel these days ??

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alexa said:

Pay Pal was bought up by ebay last year, online eBay’s is not coming from the giant Internet marketplace’s California headquarters., instead it is launched by a team of 14 young Israeli geeks (and Marti, their “inspiration dog”) on Tel Aviv’s yuppified Rothschild Boulevard.

 

Everything seems to be coming from Israel these days ??

Do you have a source I can verify for this interesting information please?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alexa said:

Pay Pal was bought up by ebay last year, online eBay’s is not coming from the giant Internet marketplace’s California headquarters., instead it is launched by a team of 14 young Israeli geeks (and Marti, their “inspiration dog”) on Tel Aviv’s yuppified Rothschild Boulevard.

 

Everything seems to be coming from Israel these days ??

 

You're wrong about PayPal. It was acquired by eBay in 2002, and split off into a wholly seperate company in 2015. PayPal is nothing to do with eBay now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

 

You're wrong about PayPal. It was acquired by eBay in 2002, and split off into a wholly seperate company in 2015. PayPal is nothing to do with eBay now.

They do work very closely together as if they were the same company. If you shop at eBay you'll know this

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lord Humungus said:

They do work very closely together as if they were the same company. If you shop at eBay you'll know this

 

Actually no they don't, eBay is already rolling out its own 'Managed Payments' system for sellers, which allows buyers to pay by credit/debit card without going through PayPal. The advantage for sellers is that they no longer pay fees to PayPal, but the disadvantage is they don't receive the money straightaway.

 

While eBay is keen for as many sellers as possible to ditch Paypal, sellers will still be able to offer PayPal as a payment method.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

 

Actually no they don't, eBay is already rolling out its own 'Managed Payments' system for sellers, which allows buyers to pay by credit/debit card without going through PayPal. The advantage for sellers is that they no longer pay fees to PayPal, but the disadvantage is they don't receive the money straightaway.

 

While eBay is keen for as many sellers as possible to ditch Paypal, sellers will still be able to offer PayPal as a payment method.

I shop at eBay frequently. I've made purchases at eBay this week. And PayPal is fully integrated with eBay. Most, if not all sellers on eBay only offer PayPal as the only payment method. eBay and PayPal support work as one. You send a ticket to eBay and you'll get a reply from PayPal. Denying eBay and PayPal work as one is ridiculous 

Edited by Lord Humungus
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lord Humungus said:

I shop at eBay frequently. I've made purchases at eBay this week. And PayPal is fully integrated with eBay. Most, if not all sellers on eBay only offer PayPal as the only payment method. eBay and PayPal support work as one. You send a ticket to eBay and you'll get a reply from PayPal. Denying eBay and PayPal work as one is ridiculous 

 

I don't want to start an argument, but I've been selling on eBay since 2010. At work, we get all the Business Seller updates from eBay so I'm well aware of what is happening.

 

Yes, PayPal is fully integrated with eBay, but they are no longer directly connected as eBay offloaded PayPal in 2015. PayPal also integrates with other ecommerce systems.

 

eBay is trying to become more like Amazon; they have already started 'monitoring' email communications between sellers and buyers (eBay no longer provides the buyers actual email address, but an 'alias' instead), and with their own payment gateway, eBay will be able to control the monies that sellers receive.

 

While a lot of buyers and sellers are happy to use PayPal for payment processing, it is eBay's perception that a lot of potential buyers are 'put off' from completing purchases because they don't want to use PayPal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Grumpy Owl

We seem to get our messages crossed, or my messages are not coming across to you. I'm very well aware eBay offloaded PayPal in 2015. I'm just saying that as a user experience eBay and PayPal seem to be working as one. And I am not aware of PayPal being fully integrated like that with any other auction/shopping/webshop site.

 

I have yet to find any other eBay seller that's accepting any other form of payment besides PayPal.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ebays very functionality relied on paypal and paypals workability relied on ebay. This was the first pioneer of online financial transaction systems. The nearest thing to that was the equivelent of emailing your card details to trusted companys few of whom would deal with such transactions preferring at least the phone. Online banking came after paypal was a working proof of concept and it became so first with ebay, then with the rest of the net. Online banking started on the back of paypal and it all worked on http without ssl.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lord Humungus said:

@Grumpy Owl

We seem to get our messages crossed, or my messages are not coming across to you. I'm very well aware eBay offloaded PayPal in 2015. I'm just saying that as a user experience eBay and PayPal seem to be working as one. And I am not aware of PayPal being fully integrated like that with any other auction/shopping/webshop site.

 

I have yet to find any other eBay seller that's accepting any other form of payment besides PayPal.

 

 

 

PayPal is just a payment processing gateway. Paypal is a payment method offered by a number of websites such as Argos and even Iceland Foods, and there are integrations with all sorts of ecommerce systems, including Shopify, BigCommerce, Magento, WooCommerce and many others.

 

I made a website for my sister using Wordpress and Woocommerce and she takes payments via PayPal. Our own website I am building at work uses PayPal too.

 

UK online marketplace OnBuy.com uses PayPal exclusively as its payment processor:

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/

 

All I'm trying to do here is just correct the notion that eBay and PayPal are "one and the same" as that is no longer the case, not since 2015 anyway.

 

PayPal has its own advanced API interface which allows all sorts of third-party systems to directly integrate with it, not just eBay.

 

But regarding eBay's own Managed Payments gateway, it has only been rolled out to sellers in the UK in the last couple of months, so it is true that you may not yet have seen many UK sellers offering direct card payments, though I understand this has been available to eBay sellers in other countries for over a year now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...