New droplet-based electricity generator: A drop of water generates 140V power, lighting up 100 LED bulbs

Jikwan

This is huge! Free energy

A research team led by scientists from the City University of Hong Kong (CityU) has recently developed a droplet-based electricity generator (DEG) with a field-effect transistor (FET)-like structure that allows for high energy conversion efficiency and instantaneous power density thousands of times that of its counterparts without FET technology. This would help to advance scientific research of water energy generation and tackle the energy crisis.

https://techxplore.com/news/2020-02-droplet-based-electricity-140v-power-bulbs.html

This is the title of the article in a 'scientific' journal ....

New droplet-based electricity generator: A drop of water generates 140V power, lighting up 100 LED bulbs

Just the title itself demonstrates the ignorance of the journalist   "140V power" ...lol ... any schoolboy with basic physics knows power is measured in Watts!!! 

Lights up 100leds ??? well that means nothing unless we know the power consumption of the LEDs ...

So this is another example or researchers desperately trying to keep their research grant money continuing ,making ridiculous claims  and journalists looking to fill up pages . 

This concerns attempts to harness the energy in falling rain drops ...Of course this is possible but is it economically feasible? Indications from this research are that it's definietly not ...

Power outputs are lower than solar panels per square meter  , and solar panels  are outputting all the time during daylight hours , rain power  will only produce when it rains ! less than 1% of the time ... The problems of this delicate apparatus being clogged by dirt leaves and other material has not been addressed ... so far all tests  done on a small scale in a laboratory setting...

So this is another false alarm in    ...

We already have free energy ...it's called solar panels ...unbelievably cheap now ... they run for 50years  before needing replacement , with out taxes and government interference they could drop another 50% in price ...

But it's most important we burn more fossil fuels ... to get that CO2 level up.   

• Like 1

You very probably right oz

The article is 7 month old and i looked on utube

For videos made by private backyard mechanics

and there was nothing exept proffesors from hong kong

Got me suspicious a bit

I will look into it a bit more. There was some mention of lighting

up led bulbs. 

Heres what it says

Our research shows that a drop of 100 microliters of water released from a height of 15 cm can generate a voltage of over 140V. And the power generated can light up 100 small LED light bulbs," said Professor Wang.

Whether these bulbs are low powered or not dont matter. Theres definately going to be a decent amount of light there from just one very small action

They are not saying that from one drop of water they get zero results

They are saying from one drop of water light is produced....big or small, it dont matter.

From 1 single dropper, i calculated you can get 240 drops per minute

240x60=14,500 per hour

14,500x24=348,000 drops a day

From 1 single dropper!!!!!!

In 1 sq metre can have 1000 droppers

1 garage 5mx10m= 50sq m

1000 drops x 348,000=348 MILLION

348 MILLION x 50= approx 25 BILLION drops per day

Garage height 4 metres

1 tier of droppers height 15cm

Thats 25 tiers

25 billiondrops x 25 tiers =

625 billion fairly decent sized lights

Produced in 24hrs from 1 ordinary sized garage

Edited by Jikwan

18 minutes ago, Jikwan said:

Heres what it says

Our research shows that a drop of 100 microliters of water released from a height of 15 cm can generate a voltage of over 140V. And the power generated can light up 100 small LED light bulbs," said Professor Wang.

Whether these bulbs are low powered or not dont matter.

The professor calling these  LED"light bulbs " is deceptive in the extreme ... they are much less than a millimeter  across "micro leds " they are shown in the first video in your link . With the naked eye I doubt you would see any light , looks like he uses a very light sensitive camera ... they are flashing , and the second video shows the pulse is just 10 milliseconds , to brief to be of any use .... 

You can get electricity in many ways ... the led in the  picture below is many thousand  times brighter than those in the raindrop apparatus , still the energy produced  is insignificant.

potato-battery-chemical-reaction.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oz93666 said:

The professor calling these  LED"light bulbs " is deceptive in the extreme ... they are much less than a millimeter  across "micro leds " they are shown in the first video in your link . With the naked eye I doubt you would see any light , looks like he uses a very light sensitive camera ... they are flashing , and the second video shows the pulse is just 10 milliseconds , to brief to be of any use .... 

You can get electricity in many ways ... the led in the  picture below is many thousand  times brighter than those in the raindrop apparatus , still the energy produced  is insignificant.

potato-battery-chemical-reaction.png

Now i feel all down and miserable

I should read articles a bit more carefully in future

Well at least i got a thrill making those calculations