New UK Passport

Basket Case

l realised last month my passport had expired almost a year ago.. 🙄 

l went online to look at renewing and found a very discouraging statement.
l figured all the bloody staff were at home laughing with their feet up, on 'Covid Furlough'...
Normally passport renewal takes around 5 - 6 - 7 weeks in total ? No ?

All sorts of faffing about getting officially approved photos signed...etc.

With nothing to loose, l went ahead and applied, not expecting a passport for a couple of months at the earliest.
l found l could take my own photo. This is either a new idea, or applied during this terrible pandemic.
l filled in all the usual details and sat back thinking about empty desolate decaying passport offices...

PASSPORT SERVICE STATEMENT.jpg

4 hours ago, Basket Case said:

All sorts of faffing about getting officially approved photos signed...etc.

With nothing to loose, l went ahead and applied, not expecting a passport for a couple of months at the earliest.
l found l could take my own photo. This is either a new idea, or applied during this terrible pandemic.
l filled in all the usual details and sat back thinking about empty desolate decaying passport offices...

A couple of years ago now, I needed to renew my passport. There was one of these 'photo booths' at the Swan Shopping Centre in Yardley near where I was living at the time. I was very impressed by the facility to have my photo taken, which was then saved in a 'secure site' for which I was given a security code. When completing my online passport renewal, I just needed to provide that code, and my photo was uploaded automatically to my application form. The photo booth machine also ensured that my photo met the required criteria.

I actually got my renewed passport just over a week after posting my old one back to them.

The process probably takes longer if you are applying from scratch, but renewing didn't seem to be an issue for me.

I just wonder if that bullshit you now see on the Passports website is just to put people off from applying or renewing...

1 minute ago, Grumpy Owl said:

I just wonder if that bullshit you now see on the Passports website is just to put people off from applying or renewing...

That's what l thought and that's why l went ahead.....no problem, real quick.
l didn't realise they'd got it down to around a week turn around nowadays.
l remember years ago queuing up in 'Petty France' passport office in London for hours and then waiting weeks after..

1 hour ago, 2020member said:

@Basket Case just out of interest what is the expiry date? i only ask as many are reporting their bank cards expire in 2022. which goes hand in glove when things will be cashless/mandatory vaccine will be in place (on the armageddon timeline). 

7 minutes ago, itsnotallrightjack said:

My new one expires in 2022 also.

VERY interesting..  This could point towards something!

1 hour ago, 2020member said:

@Basket Case just out of interest what is the expiry date? i only ask as many are reporting their bank cards expire in 2022. which goes hand in glove when things will be cashless/mandatory vaccine will be in place (on the armageddon timeline). 

52 minutes ago, itsnotallrightjack said:

My new one expires in 2022 also.

44 minutes ago, FrankVitali said:

VERY interesting..  This could point towards something!

28 minutes ago, 2020member said:

Loosing count now of how many people have said that. Wow!

27 minutes ago, 2020member said:

it could indeed. 

As soon as i get more confirmation. All cash is being withdrawn! 

(not that it’ll be worth anything mind you 😂)

You guys just totally freaked me out.
l've just dug it out from it's hiding place to look.
lt expires 2030  🥳 

Got mine this year too around april i just sent off a photo and my old passport from when i was kid and it came back in 1 week. Black as well. Think they were the original colour before common market eu? Not sure expiry date as have not got it to hand but it came back relatively fast.

• Like 1

Just now, Basket Case said:

New ones are Black.
But l thought the pre-EU colour was Blue and we were returning to that post-EU..

Sorry mate ruining your thread half asleep here i just realised you were op (your avatar threw me off) i think mine is black but yes strange as hell. Will check when i get home tomorrow along with expiry date. 

16 hours ago, Basket Case said:

You guys just totally freaked me out.
l've just dug it out from it's hiding place to look.
lt expires 2030  🥳 

Nothing to see here, it is just a coincidence. Passports are valid only for ten years, so if you renewed in 2020... 😜

Same with the debit/credit card expiry dates, it depends on when your card was issued, they are generally only valid for 2 to 3 years.

As it happens, my debit card was issued in Nov 2019, and is valid until Nov 2022.